: '99 Mustang or '99 F-body?

Night Wolf
10-05-08, 12:06 AM
Sort of a spin-off from the cheap speed thread... many were making various comments about the Mustang/F-body being cheaper, faster and more reliable then their imported cheap speed brethren. '99 was the year the Mustang got bumped to 260hp and seems to be good years for price/value on the F-bodies.

So, here are the requirements, must be V8, must be manual transmission and must be a convertible. Having the fastest/most powerful version isn't a must.

Which would you choose, why?

I've given it some thought myself, I am really starting to like the Ford 4.6, and I've got a sporty manual trans convertible itch and often think about scratching it with a Mustang, but I just keep going back to E30, I think it would offer me more what I'd like.

But, between these two... styling is subjective, would both be equally reliable? Would it be safe to say the F-body is faster but the Mustang has better interior quality?

Rolex
10-05-08, 12:27 AM
The Mustang is the better looking of the two cars IMO. The wife had a 00' Mustang GT convertible in grad school. It wasn't nearly as fast as the F body cars but still a lot of fun to play around in. I had that car up to 150mph on some (desolate) roads in Southern Arkansas.....I don't advocate that.

Lots of aftermarket add-ons for the 4.6 too.

LS1Mike
10-05-08, 12:34 AM
99 LS1 F-body will run 13.40's to 13.00. The 99 Stang you will be lucky to see 13.90. Trans Ams looks better subjective as well. The 4L60E is better than the Mustang Auto and you can get a 6 speed LS1 F-body no 6 speed available in a 99 Mustang. The F-body Auto and 6-speed pull down better mileage. It is a no Brainer. F-Body. 305 HP VS 260 HP. The F-body actually makes that power based off Dynos, the Mustang? No so much.
HUGE aftermarket for the LSX. 1 cam to swap and tunning is simple.
The Mustang stock is SLOW compared with an LS1 F-body. Period. 99 4.6 Mustangs run with 93 to 97 LT1 F-bodies. No 4.6 Stang without a blower and single cams has even come close to 13.50 with a normal driver or prof. driver.
Interior Qualtiy is subjective look at leather in a Stang that is that old VS Leather in F-body.
The shifter postion in the Mustang sucks and you sit really High in a Mustang. Things I don't like, but you may.
Both are very reliable. Now you have to ask yourself do you want a 6 speed with 305 HP and 13 second 1/4 miles everday or do you want a 5 speed with the chance of hitting 13's on a good day in perfect conditons with the planets aligned?

Stoneage_Caddy
10-05-08, 12:50 AM
pink 1992 Miata with a buick turbo v6 and a large bi plane rear spolier....

every alpha male out there will poke fun at you untill the turbo spools up ...then its anureisims for all

or , a 1991 lotus elan ....isuzu powerplant , and handleing that makes you check to make sure it is indeed front wheel drive ...

http://www.lotusowners.com/ForSale/DMiller/elan8601.jpg

CadillacSTS42005
10-05-08, 12:51 AM
F body FTW

Night Wolf
10-05-08, 01:28 AM
pink 1992 Miata with a buick turbo v6 and a large bi plane rear spolier....

every alpha male out there will poke fun at you untill the turbo spools up ...then its anureisims for all

or , a 1991 lotus elan ....isuzu powerplant , and handleing that makes you check to make sure it is indeed front wheel drive ...

http://www.lotusowners.com/ForSale/DMiller/elan8601.jpg

The Elan is nothing more then a re-skinned Impulse (same as Storm)

In fact that Isuzu powerplant you speak of is the same 4Z family as the 2.6 in my truck, IIRC they were 2.0. Not sure about the Elan, but I know for the Impulse you could get (forogt the trim level) but AWD and turbo, but the turbo 2.0 only put out 120hp stock, which is what the stock 2.6 puts out. Now a guy on the Zu site, his buddy made a turbo 2.6 and said it is putting out 300hp to the wheels on the stock bottom end (very durable) but everything around it has been really modified.

One of them would be cool given my partialness to Isuzu... but finding them is tough, and finding them not beat to heck is tougher.

Aron9000
10-05-08, 03:27 AM
I'd say fbody, no doubt. Go drive both of them, and you'll see why I say this. The 305hp rating was really laughable for the LS1 in those cars. My 99 Z28 with an automatic made 305rwhp, 320rwtq, with a different air box and a magnaflow muffler.

The LS1 also responds to mods a lot better than the 4.6 V8, and its much easier to work on.

Also, the interior quality on Mustangs is a lot worse. The leather in my 99 Z28 still looks great, similar year mustangs look like 90 year old man's face, beat with lots of creases.

Destroyer
10-05-08, 10:45 AM
I like both. The fbody would be faster but the Mustang is much better for daily driving. At least for me, I'm 6'2" and closing in on 40 years of age and I find the Mustang to be more comfortable. The Mustang is also easier to service since it doesn't have half the dash over the engine and is easier to see out of without that long, long widshield.

Any shortcomings the Mustang may have are easily upgraded. Want better seats? Get some out of an '01-'04 Cobra or '03-'04 Mach 1. Interior quality is better IMO than the fbody. Wanna go faster? Supercharge it using 1 one of many different brands/styles of superchargers available. TONS of aftermarket support. I have to say that the interior seems better screwed together in my '99 Cobra than in the '04 Mach 1. I dont know why companies do this but it always seems cars are screwed together better the first few years of production. Likewise I think LT1 fbody's were better put together on the inside than LS1 cars.

Styling is subjective and I like the highly unpopular styling of the 4rth gen fbody's. Its a toss up between that generation Mustang and that generation fbody for me. If you want the faster of the two, take the Fbody otherwise take the Mustang.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-05-08, 01:37 PM
F body all the way. The Mustang has many things against it. First, I'm not a Ford advocate by any means, so it being a Ford in and of it's self is a negative for me. Secondly, even in V8 trim, you'll never shake the "secretary's car" stigma. Thirdly, the interior quality and design is laughable. Fourthly, they're not nearly as quick as the F-Body, and lastly, they're not nearly as aggressive looking as the F body, and they're not push rod powered! But, the SOHC 4.6L is a mean sounding motor when equipped with the right exhaust, and it is probably easier to maneuver than the F-body, due to the increased length of it's GM counterpart.

I'll take an LS1 Z28, SS or Formula please, in black.

LS1Mike
10-05-08, 01:41 PM
The Mustang is also easier to service since it doesn't have half the dash over the engine and is easier to see out of without that long, long widshield.

When you are talking LT1 4th Gen. The LS1 is far easier to Service than the 4.6 or LT1 in those platforms.

gary88
10-05-08, 02:21 PM
Buy two E30s :yup:

Destroyer
10-05-08, 04:11 PM
When you are talking LT1 4th Gen. The LS1 is far easier to Service than the 4.6 or LT1 in those platforms.Out of curiosity what exactly is so hard to service in the 4.6?. Even with the DOHC there's a ton of room under the hood. Spark plugs can be done in under 15 minutes easy.

LS1Mike
10-05-08, 04:26 PM
Out of curiosity what exactly is so hard to service in the 4.6?. Even with the DOHC there's a ton of room under the hood. Spark plugs can be done in under 15 minutes easy.

When we did my buddies Cams install and headers on his SHOC 4.6, it was a lot harder to do than on my LS1. So was his water pump. I would say plugs are the easiest the 4.6 out of all of them.
The LT1 cars were a PITA for anything just changing plug wires can take a whole day if you have AC in a F-body :mad:. I liked my LT1 cars, but I didn't like doing an Opti and Plug change it was poop.:rant2:

Destroyer
10-05-08, 05:56 PM
When we did my buddies Cams install and headers on his SHOC 4.6, it was a lot harder to do than on my LS1. So was his water pump. I would say plugs are the easiest the 4.6 out of all of them.
The LT1 cars were a PITA for anything just changing plug wires can take a whole day if you have AC in a F-body :mad:. I liked my LT1 cars, but I didn't like doing an Opti and Plug change it was poop.:rant2:
I hear ya on the LT1, I had 2 4rth gen Z28's and I dreaded ever having to do anything under the hood. Good to hear the LS1's are easier. Far as cams and all that, I dont see myself ever going that far into it. Dont really think I'll do a thing to my Cobra other than whats already done.

LS1Mike
10-05-08, 06:47 PM
I hear ya on the LT1, I had 2 4rth gen Z28's and I dreaded ever having to do anything under the hood. Good to hear the LS1's are easier. Far as cams and all that, I dont see myself ever going that far into it. Dont really think I'll do a thing to my Cobra other than whats already done.

First time I did an Opti was on my 96. I got it all back together and well you know the waterpump is basically run right off the cam. There is this little coupling that connects the pump to the drive unit no belt. It is seperate from the drive and the pump. It NEEDS to be there for the pump to turn.
I go for a drive the car gets hot quick. I am like WTF. Get back and see it sitting on the work bench...:thepan::nono::banghead:
http://afrashteh.com/guide/waterpump.jpg
Ah Piece 39...

Destroyer
10-05-08, 07:43 PM
Ouch!:bonkers:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-05-08, 11:22 PM
F-body forever. They're cheaper, better looking and faster than Mustangs. Plus, everyone on the planet (figure of speech people) has owned a Mustang at some point in their life.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-06-08, 09:22 AM
Plus, everyone on the planet (figure of speech people) has owned a Mustang at some point in their life.

Not me! I'm not a boring, single middle-aged woman, so I see no need for a Mustang.

96Fleetwood
10-06-08, 10:12 AM
Fbody! But I am a bit biased....

Here is a pic of Dad's Collectors Edition :

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/sixtyspecial/ta2.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/sixtyspecial/DSCN0257.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/sixtyspecial/IMG_9296.jpg

I just love that brash in your face styling. If only the GTO had that, it would have been a hot seller.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-06-08, 10:58 AM
Between the LT1/LS1 Trans Ams, I love the tail lights on the LS1's, but the front clip on the LT1's. The LT1 Trans Ams always had that smoother looking front end, which I liked more. But I'd probably end up going with an LS1, mainly because the engine is easier to work on.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-06-08, 11:31 AM
Fbody! But I am a bit biased....

Here is a pic of Dad's Collectors Edition :

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/sixtyspecial/ta2.jpg

I just love that brash in your face styling. If only the GTO had that, it would have been a hot seller.

Your family owns the coolest cars. We own a POS van nearing the 200K mile mark and a '00 Blazer. Although the Blazer is loaded and only has 68K miles on it, neither of our cars are super cool.

LS1Mike
10-06-08, 01:48 PM
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/483924441.jpg?1170547446
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/483969908.jpg?1192224469
Mike never misses the opportunity to post useless pictures of his Trans Am.
The second photo is lowered with the 18 inch Z06 wheels 295s out back.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-06-08, 03:05 PM
That looks awesome with those Z06 wheels. :thumbsup:

gary88
10-06-08, 03:11 PM
It would look badass with a window tint

LS1Mike
10-06-08, 03:35 PM
It would look badass with a window tint

I know but with 5 engines to maintain. 2 Big Blocks, 1 whored out LS1 , a 3.4 V6 and Turbo 4 Cyl I gotta be Choosey on what I do.:bouncy:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-06-08, 04:04 PM
Is that 3.4L V6 the X motor or the OHV one?

LS1Mike
10-06-08, 04:19 PM
It is the one in our Equinox, with the updated intake, intake gaskets, rods, crank and roller lifters. I was skeptical at first, but 30,000 miles and I haven't had to do anything to the Equinox except change the oil and put gas in it, AWD and still gets 25 MPG average.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-06-08, 04:44 PM
Oh yeah, they're good cars...we don't do much warranty work on those at work. Have you had the a/c condensor recall done yet? But I have to say, I'm surprised they still use that old OHV 3.4L engine on anything anymore...not that it's a bad engine or anything, but everything else is either 3.5L or 3.9L, aside from the 3800 they're still using in some Buicks and Pontiacs.

LS1Mike
10-06-08, 04:53 PM
Or like the Sport gets (wish we had waited a year) a 264 HP AWD 3.6. I seen some tick off 14.80s. That is stupid in an Equinox.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-06-08, 04:59 PM
Yeah, the Sports are cool. I don't see why GM didn't put that 3.6L V6 in all of the Equinoxes?

Agent 007
10-10-08, 12:19 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I saw the post about someone trying to decide between a Mustang and a F-Body and I just had to jump in.

I own a 98 Trans Am with T-tops. It's been a very fast car for me and I would choose this car over a Mustang any day! I think the Trans Am has an awesome body style to it too. I have gotten many compliments while driving around town. I have ran mid 13's in this car at the track. Here is a pic of my car. :)

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/RealtorLen/Personal%20File/Car%20Photos/1998TA2.jpg?t=1223650112

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/RealtorLen/Personal%20File/Car%20Photos/1998TA1.jpg?t=1223650160

MauiV
10-10-08, 12:43 PM
Id take an LSx powered car over a PITA mod Motor anyday but that being said this is the only post 1970 Mustang I have seen that I would own......

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/frontside.jpg

MT DRs on 17" radials.

Dart sm-blk ford stroked to 400-some inches.

Stereo w/ sub box, pw, pl, full glass, carpet, no tubs, no trick suspension.

3,650lbs w/ driver.

It's blown and intercooled. I think BigStuff 3.

Driven in the rain, to the track, at the track, back home again.

Never made a full pass on full drag wheels and tires.

Makes it's passes through the full 3" dual exhaust that almost looks stock.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/launchpic.jpg

mid 1.4 to mid 1.5 60fts.

The epitome of street and one of the coolest cars on the planet.

It has a full cage and a removeable chute.

I love the flat hood and lack of anything external that would allow you to gauge it's performance.

What's it run.....?

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/acbf69e6.jpg

8.90s at 160mph....!!!! It's still got some in it and on a good high 1.3 60ft it could go mid 8s at near 170mph.

That's a street car. It doesn't overheat. Doesn't need much maintenance. He drives it anywhere. Plus it isnt on those played out Welds and Prostars pizza cutters that I absolutly HATE.

SVT thread with video..... http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492337

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-10-08, 01:17 PM
That is a hot fox body! I especially love the LX 5.0 Coupes, which are much rarer and not as played out as the GT hatchbacks.

MauiV
10-10-08, 01:28 PM
Notch fox bodies are a dime a dozen around here. I prefer the look of the 4 eye notch but this one is just so badass.

LS1Mike
10-10-08, 01:51 PM
That is one bad mofo. You are right the damn Welds and pro-stars are palyed out. I get tired of seeing them.

Now 8.90s that is fing fast. I just saw another thread where a guy said he wanted something really fast and he mentioned a 300ZX TT or 350Z. That is not fast peepy mabye.
FAST is 8.90s and driving that bitch home.