: Pep Boys Brake Job

Lifer
10-04-08, 06:36 PM
2006 STS V8 1SE with JE5 brakes. I got a quote today from Pep Boys (Manny was not in...) for what they called their Bronze Front Brake Service with Cermaic Package for $165.00. This includes turning the rotors, lifetime warranty on the pads (no more brake dust) and 18 months/18,000 miles labor warranty. Has anyone used Pep boys for brake service? The price is $90.00 lower than Just Brakes - metalic pads. :hmm:

urbanski
10-04-08, 06:41 PM
i guess that is not bad for front only. i bought front and rears from Luke @ Lindsay for 200 and did em myself.

miked
10-04-08, 08:37 PM
The only negative with ceramic brakes is that they will squeek more . . .

jono6406
10-04-08, 09:45 PM
yesterday i purchased je5 rear brake pads from autozone for $22.99 and installed them myself which was very easy( on a scale from 1 to 10 i would call it a 3).. shame on the dealer for wanting $350 to do that job. it took me every bit of 45 minutes.

Jono

Lifer
10-04-08, 10:57 PM
My only concern in doing the brake job myself is turning he rotors. They are not scored or wrapped, but the pads have another 5K miles left on the front, so I am looking around. Also, the bleeding operation if I need to do this - I can buy a bleeder unit so I can do it myself, but there is the question of need.

BTW, I have done a number of drum brakes, front and rear, on cars dating back to the thirties and never had a problem. Disk brakes are a bit more challenging because of the rotors.

jono6406
10-05-08, 09:40 AM
NO,NO,NO, disc brakes are less of a challenge. open the mc cap and no bleeding is required and if you didn't mess up your rotors then you won't have to touch them. i have been doing brakes for years and have never had a problem with disc brakes.You can do it or have it done in the manner that is best for you but i think it is ridiculous to give the dealer $350 or even Pep Boys $165 for an at best $100 brake job.:crying2:

Jono

rb92gt
10-05-08, 11:47 AM
Someone should post a "How-To" for sts brake job. Would like to do it myself, but have never done it before.

Regulator
10-05-08, 12:12 PM
Jono-
Did they have different types of brake pads? Perhaps more expensive ones that cut down the dust?

jono6406
10-05-08, 01:08 PM
Yes, they did. They have the Duralsat Gold for $38.99 but they don't keep them in stock.You have to order them. I didn't have time seeing you could just barely start to hear my squealers. The brake job went well I just sprayed the back of the pad with " no squeal" or brake quiet and did not touch the rotor. My brakes stop just as before...nice ans smooth....perfect.

Jono

pjbizjak
10-05-08, 07:30 PM
No need to bleed brakes...use a screw driver or brake tool to spread the pads from the rotor so you can get the caliper off. Once the caliper is off use a 'c' clamp and squeeze the caliper plunger back into the caliber, this will give the room necessary to install new pads and slide back over rotors.