: Lincoln MKS Commercials

gothicaleigh
10-04-08, 01:13 AM
So... does this thing really have that cool keyless entry on the B pillar as seen in the commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i4HKBE1Lw8&NR=1

...and Daft Punk's Technologic too!
must... resist... marketing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3nIplI9EJg

Damn ad company making me like Lincoln. :shifty

RightTurn
10-04-08, 01:21 AM
FoMoCo has had some variation of that keyless entry pad for years. Not as cool as that one, though.

Night Wolf
10-04-08, 02:49 AM
Never thought how handy it would come in... but man I like it alot...

going out into the driveway without keys, walking out to the car durring lunch break and leaving keys in tool box, going to the beach and locking keys and wallet in the car to not worry about them, locking keys in car, loosing keys (spare ignition key is hidden in car so I can still make a getaway if i loose my keys) list goes on and on.... but yeah, key pad is awesome, can open drivers door, all doors, trunk or lock doors/arm alarm with it.

Aron9000
10-04-08, 03:16 AM
Never thought how handy it would come in... but man I like it alot...

going out into the driveway without keys, walking out to the car durring lunch break and leaving keys in tool box, going to the beach and locking keys and wallet in the car to not worry about them, locking keys in car, loosing keys (spare ignition key is hidden in car so I can still make a getaway if i loose my keys) list goes on and on.... but yeah, key pad is awesome, can open drivers door, all doors, trunk or lock doors/arm alarm with it.

I've never understood why other companies didn't adopt it. My friend's 1986 Continental had it too.

The Tony Show
10-04-08, 03:22 AM
Patents my friend.....patents.

As much as I dislike Lincolns, the keypad on the new MKS is pretty damn cool in person.

ejguillot
10-04-08, 04:50 AM
Patents? I'm not too sure about that, I would have thought that all the relevant patents would have expired by now. If the 1986 Continental had it (and the 1989 Nissan Maxima had it too as an option, my dad had one) it's been around for 22 years.

Playdrv4me
10-04-08, 05:31 AM
Yea the ads are ok, too bad the car is an over-wrought, over-weight, poorly handling, and slow pile of dung. They are having to advertise it in every possible medium just to squeeze a few sales out of it. I sat in one and the quality just doesn't compare to the CTS at ALL.

The Genesis is alot more car for the money... ALOT more, with all the same technical doo-dads. Well, except for the trick door buttons.

c5 rv
10-04-08, 09:17 AM
The MKS is on my short list of next cars in 2010 - along with STS, DTS, and Lucerne. I sat in an MKS and liked the driving position. The trunk is large, but has a tiny opening. It is probably hard to load and unload cargo. Overall, they did a better job distinguishing it from the Taurus than they did with the MKZ v. the Fusion. I'm looking forward to driving one with the ecoboost engine in the future.

The exterior keypad is a gimmick that some Ford owners love. I've never used it on my MKZ aside from to see how it works. I guess I never have the need to enter my car when I don't have the keys in my pocket. Also, if you have a keyless ignition, wouldn't the car also have a setting to automatically unlock the doors as you walked up to it with the keyfob in your pocket?

As far as other luxury brands, no thank you. Our family and neighbors work(ed) for GM & Ford and deserve our support.

Night Wolf
10-04-08, 11:06 AM
I used to think it was a gimmick too, as several family members owned Ford products over the years and never used them.... then when I got mine... as I mentioned before, it comes in soo handy, I start to find new ways to make it useful. Plus you can program new codes other then the factory code, so you can make a code to give to someone for a set time like if you are away and they need to check/move the car (lock the key in it or something) and then erase/change the code afterword etc...

Submariner409
10-04-08, 11:30 AM
Come to think of it my '92 Taurus LX 3.8 had a 5-character keypad on the door. I used it quite a bit.

caddycruiser
10-04-08, 11:54 AM
To clear up a question that hasn't been answered yet...

...YES, the MKS does have the "new" keypad entry on the door. Ford has used this for years BUT on the MKS and the Flex there are no protruding buttons or pod anymore. Rather, the driver's door back post just looks black until you touch it--touch sensitive--and red light from behind turns on and highlights touch spots for the numbers. Works the same way as always, in the end, but SO much cooler than just cheap buttons.

I'm a big fan of the MKS. Some moan and groan "Oh, but it's FWD...boo!", which means nothing or is a great thing to a lot of buyers, or that "The engine for the time being just sucks until EcoBoost comes out", which is so untrue. It's hardly a slouch and if there was never any talk of a turbo version, it honestly wouldn't be brought up as much.

It has fantastic quality throughout--some of the best Ford has ever done--and is based on that platform used already with the Taurus and others, in previous variations, that's like a tank. It will continue to improve as the years go one, but quite a car now. The only main "issue" is that it isn't necessarily a jaw dropper in ways like the Chrysler 300 and others were, but it still looks great and has better quality, features, and refinement than most of its competitors. It's a bit more subdued, FWD iteration of competing with the CTS, basically, which is a package I think a lot of people will like.

Blackout
10-04-08, 01:00 PM
The Twin Force V6 is going to have 340 hp at the least if I remember correctly, but with it being a twin turbo setup power gains are going to be a cake walk

96Fleetwood
10-04-08, 01:06 PM
Don't forget it is available in AWD too.

thebigjimsho
10-04-08, 04:16 PM
The MKS underwhelmed me on a platform but it has a nice look to it in motion. But it is underpowered and even moreso with AWD. The previous keypad would still work when snowcovered. I wonder how this pad will work in bad weather.

As someone who has lived with Town Cars the last 12 years, the keypad is a very nice feature when you're at home and need to run out to get something, or when you're at the beach, or even when you left something in the car and you need to get it when it's at the shop. You can live without it, but it's nice to have it...

Submariner409
10-04-08, 07:44 PM
Back in Post #11.......The Chrysler 300 and clone Dodges are anything but jaw-dropping (maybe, if jaw-dropping means "flat ugly".) The darn things look like a Bass shoebox with a bugstrainer grille and smashed ass.

You want jaw-dropping Chryslers go back to a real Chrysler.....the mid-late 50's 300B Hemi series and on through 300J (the 300J shark nose, the basis for the current look.......but for today without those incredible tailfins.)

Night Wolf
10-04-08, 09:07 PM
To clear up a question that hasn't been answered yet...

...YES, the MKS does have the "new" keypad entry on the door. Ford has used this for years BUT on the MKS and the Flex there are no protruding buttons or pod anymore. Rather, the driver's door back post just looks black until you touch it--touch sensitive--and red light from behind turns on and highlights touch spots for the numbers. Works the same way as always, in the end, but SO much cooler than just cheap buttons.

I'm a big fan of the MKS. Some moan and groan "Oh, but it's FWD...boo!", which means nothing or is a great thing to a lot of buyers, or that "The engine for the time being just sucks until EcoBoost comes out", which is so untrue. It's hardly a slouch and if there was never any talk of a turbo version, it honestly wouldn't be brought up as much.

It has fantastic quality throughout--some of the best Ford has ever done--and is based on that platform used already with the Taurus and others, in previous variations, that's like a tank. It will continue to improve as the years go one, but quite a car now. The only main "issue" is that it isn't necessarily a jaw dropper in ways like the Chrysler 300 and others were, but it still looks great and has better quality, features, and refinement than most of its competitors. It's a bit more subdued, FWD iteration of competing with the CTS, basically, which is a package I think a lot of people will like.

For a 1996 car, I think my keypad is cool, it dosen't have actual protruding buttons, the whole keypad is flat and has the feather touch type buttons, all you do is walk up to the car and either pull the door handle or press any button on the keypad and all the lights go on as well as a "cool blue" light behind the whole keypad (same color as interior at night) then its surrounded by the chrome ring... maybe not as fancy as the stealth mode, but for '96 I think it's cool. Normally I use the keyfob, but it gets it's share of use too.

Mark0101
10-04-08, 09:30 PM
Yep I use the keypad all the time. We have four Lincolns and it would be hell to go outside carrying 4 keys when looking for something in the cars.(which happens alot..lol..I don't know why)

I would say the Continentals and the Mark VIIIs are nicely hidden but the Town Cars is on top of the handle which doesn't look very nice.(its an 02 Town car)

BTW I don't recommed leaving your keys in the car. All the theif has to do is break the window and find your keys and leave. Happened to my uncle in his ford but he left his keys right in the open but its still very risky leaving your keys in the car even if its hidden.

Blackout
10-04-08, 10:00 PM
My 1986 Mark VII LSC had the key pad as well and so did my '91 SHO+

c5 rv
10-04-08, 10:44 PM
Alas, this will have to be the last Lincoln I can ever own because I don't see the value of the mythical keypad.

concorso
10-04-08, 10:59 PM
I like the looks of this car but was dissappointed when I drove it. In some ways, I find this a step backward from the LS...

Sandy
10-04-08, 11:18 PM
If you ever get totally locked out of your car, and are not near home, you will convert to Lincoln - as I did. I own a 2003 Town Car, and absolutly love it. It does everything great, smooth as silk, whisper quiet, high build quality, stong & silient - but, the silly keypad brought me to it. I also love the power open AND CLOSE trunk. PRESS your code into the door pad when the trunk lid is open, and it powers all the way down, from fully opened position, to down AND locked.
I also love the driver memory button. Wife & I each had own buttons #1 & #2, When pushed the driver seats goes to a pre set by me and the other button goes to wife's pre-set position, along with the seat, the brake & gas pedals move into pre-select position, liewise the power tilt steering wheel Cool to see.
Likewise....
The self lifting hood. You pull the level under the dash, the hood pops up like 2"
You go the the front of the car and slip fingers into open slit and release the secondary catch and you life the hood Appox. 1" and the self raise takes over and opend hood all the way with you doing nothing.I
I like too the deep well filler in the trunk The trunk has a deep well in the center. It's hard to slowly lower haevy stuff into it and it is large (75% of trunk area). Lifting anything outta it is back-breaking...
So Lincoln devised a unit that fits perfectly into this cavity and make the trunk's floor flat.
However, the "thing" that they devised has a top that can be opened, too. It is thermal insulated and doubles as a picnic basket and/or a bench for two at sporting games. It's too cool. Sorta a 'fridge & a bench after eating.

I like that I can light up the entire car, when parked in dark places. ALL exterior and Interior lights can be lit up together.

My car has the optional (first ever on a passenger car) High Intensity Discharge FOG lights. Sadly, they were dropped after 2003.
Have has zero problems with the car. ZERO

I drove the MK-S. It's okay, but my car had far more features. The MK-S was built to a price point, and it shows.

Case in point. It shares ALOT with the Volvo S80 - it's V-8, it's AWD, too.
But................... The Vovo has the same huge rear seat headrests, as does the MK-S. You cannot see thru 'em, around them, nor over them. However..... in the Volvo's rear seat top, there are cavities, when driver switchs into "R" the rear seat headrests POWER DOWN and into the cavity, upon switching into "D" they re-power UP & back into position.
Now....
In the MK-S ... Hmmm the cavity is plugged up from the inside, the motor is omitted, and the damn things totally block your view. Backing up and NOT bumping something is tough.
They are okay, they are NO Town Car.

Night Wolf
10-04-08, 11:24 PM
BTW I don't recommed leaving your keys in the car. All the theif has to do is break the window and find your keys and leave. Happened to my uncle in his ford but he left his keys right in the open but its still very risky leaving your keys in the car even if its hidden.

hehe, they may as well tear apart every nook and cranny of that car then, I'd say it's one step safer then using a hideakey box under the car, in which case you can get very creative aswell.

I guess for me, especially with the Town Car since I use it mostly for extended far from home highway trips, I think worst case... like I'm in a not so good part of town and lost my keys and need to get my butt outta there.... in which case within minutes I'll be rollin' again.... one of the little pet peaves I've done with all my vehicles... same with locking gas caps.

Mark0101
10-04-08, 11:30 PM
Personally I think they have more technological features then a Town Car. I don't wanna list every thing but it has alot more features then the Town car, I have not sat in one but I saw one from the outside and it looks as big as the Town car. I would say its ahead of the Town Car at a better price.
BTW I didn't know they had HID fog lights, are you sure about that?

96Fleetwood
10-04-08, 11:37 PM
There are many mid level cars out that have the features of the 2003 Town Car. There is a reason they are no longer making them, even the other Panther chassis cars are being killed off in 2010.

GM killed their large RWD sedans in 1996 because that was the end of the era. 12 years later Ford is following suit after trying to fill niches that were dead and gone (Impala SS vs. Marauder / Caprice vs. Crown Victoria )

The MKS is a nice change, but does deserve a better powerplant and longer wheelbase to fill the Town Car or Continentals shoes.

Night Wolf
10-04-08, 11:58 PM
Personally I think they have more technological features then a Town Car. I don't wanna list every thing but it has alot more features then the Town car, I have not sat in one but I saw one from the outside and it looks as big as the Town car. I would say its ahead of the Town Car at a better price.
BTW I didn't know they had HID fog lights, are you sure about that?

Theres no doubt it's "ahead" and advanced then the current Town Car (which is slowly being stripped of options) The Town Car really isn't made to be the top Lincoln anymore either... it's filling a niche that will soon be gone :(

If Ford only put some of this money and design to update the whole Panther chassis, the next gen Town Car could definitly be something else... but instead, they are going to let it die a slow and painful death :(

I like my '96 alot, there is just so much style and design inside and out... just the car as a whole, that you will not see in a new car anymore, yet it is still a throughly modern car. '03 was the last of the Town Cars before they started to be decontented, but I do like the newer interior with tachometer.

I would defintily not scratch an '03 or '06 Town Car off my future list, they'll be cheap for plenty of years to come, but for now, I want a different type of car, but that isn't to say that when I have a family and little ones running around, a used '03 or '06 Town Car wouldn't be in the picture, unless I've still got my '96 :)

I've put my '96 side by side to an '03 and there are just too many things I like about the '96 both inside and out over the '03, so for now, I'm quite happy, hopefully there will be a continuous supply of the low mileage, mint, older person owned '95-'97's for some time.

Jesda
10-05-08, 12:11 AM
Love the ads.

Not so crazy about the car. Maybe used?

Sandy
10-05-08, 12:30 AM
Town car is not dropped. There is a 2009.

Yes, navigation-wise and computer-wisw the MK-S has more, but vehicle related features, the Town car has more.

Now, case in point. The MK-S trunk is manual, with a key fob release. When pushed, the trunk lid pops up less rthan 1 inch. Carrying something heavy, bulky, big?? You have to put it down, lift trunk lid and pick up the big item.
Town Car's is power operated. Push button on key fob, trunk pops AND powers itself all the way up, to fully open.
Town Car is bigger, has more foot room and more shoulder room, longer wheelbase and bigger trunk.
Yes, the 2003 Spring-Feature Town Car "The Limited" has HID Foggies, I think from sylania Lighting.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-05-08, 01:03 AM
I used to think it was a gimmick too, as several family members owned Ford products over the years and never used them.... then when I got mine... as I mentioned before, it comes in soo handy, I start to find new ways to make it useful. Plus you can program new codes other then the factory code, so you can make a code to give to someone for a set time like if you are away and they need to check/move the car (lock the key in it or something) and then erase/change the code afterword etc...

My friend had a '94 Town Car with it. He was stupid enough to tell me and the rest of our friends the code. We used to open his car at least twice a week and just screw around with every setting possible and re-arrange whatever we could. :D

The main reason it never caught on with other companies is because they never thought they needed it. By the time Ford came up with the idea, they were already working on keyless entry by use of the remote. They figured why would people want a pinpad to unlock the doors when they can just use the remote?

Blackout
10-05-08, 01:37 AM
Case in point. It shares ALOT with the Volvo S80 - it's V-8, it's AWD, too.http://blog.pharmalive.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/o_rly.jpg:thumbsup: just busting your balls

thebigjimsho
10-05-08, 03:48 AM
They'll be making Town Cars, at least the Executive Series, through 2010. Which is when my '07 will be up...if I don't decide to ditch it first. I hate it enough where I'm planning an exit strategy for the end of '09, a year before I need to let it go. My '04 was awesome, you can easily see where Ford cheaped out on the '07.

Come that time, I may try a '09 or '10 TC. I'm not going with a FWD DTS. No way I'm putting on that many miles in a heavy, high hp FWD car. I learned how many parts need replacing on my SHO. Plus, I hate the driving dynamics of the DTS anyway.

I'm really hoping the Genesis will be available in an L form by then. An air conditioned driver's seat would be phenomenal...

96Fleetwood
10-05-08, 08:19 AM
I could have swore in one of last years Motor Trend issues I read they were stopping production of the TC in 2009 and the CV and Marquis were being dropped in 2010.

Sandy
10-05-08, 10:58 AM
I made a typo. The
MK-S does not offer a V-8. It uses a version of the Volvo 6, as well as their AWD system.

The Crown Vic is allready gone, unless its a Police Car. The CVs being made are all cop cars.
Grand Marquis last year is 2010.
Town Cars is NOW !! 2009
They have stripped the poor dear naked ! Dropped standard features and cut the option list to HIDs, Chrome Wheels, & WWs.

Gone: MoonRoof / Navagation / Fog Lites / Trunk Mtd. CD
My dealer is still selling all he orders. He sends them out for aftermarket
Moonroofs that are identical to the ones Ford put in, and on some puts simulated convertible tops. All get WWs & Chrome Wheels & HIDs.

Pepole buy them because the like RWD with a V-8 in a large car.
The Caddys & Buick Lucernes are FWD and smaller. The 300 & Charger are smaller. too. Funny the cloest car to the TC is the Impala SS and the Pontiac G8 GT, but they both have bucket seats, but it's funny, 'cause folks in their 70s & up do not care for buckets (or so they think)!
The T.C. HAS BUCKETS !!! What it really is that they object to (and do not realize) is the CENTER CONSOLE !

c5 rv
10-05-08, 02:11 PM
... What it really is that they object to (and do not realize) is the CENTER CONSOLE !

It feels like you have more room with no center console and open floor between the driving and passenger. I used to buy pickups and Suburbans like that. You can set the cruise control and prop your right foot up on the transmission hump.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-05-08, 11:27 PM
It feels like you have more room with no center console and open floor between the driving and passenger. I used to buy pickups and Suburbans like that. You can set the cruise control and prop your right foot up on the transmission hump.

Yeah, definitely feels like there is more room. I like to put crap on the floor right there. Its where my CB radio sits and where I keep my mp3 player. I also like having the ability to take 6 people if needed. Its cramped, but it can be done.

Cliff8928
10-06-08, 12:51 AM
I made a typo. The
MK-S does not offer a V-8. It uses a version of the Volvo 6, as well as their AWD system.

:wtf:

The MK-S has a V6, the Volvo engine is inline.

Playdrv4me
10-06-08, 01:08 AM
I like the looks of this car but was dissappointed when I drove it. In some ways, I find this a step backward from the LS...

BINGO, 100 points for you...

That's my single biggest problem with this pile of garbage...

Someone mentioned that they won't look at other brands because they have some kind of loyalty to the brand because "friends and neighbors worked for Ford and GM", and that kind of thinking just doesn't make any sense to me when you look at the big picture.

You see, Ford *HAD* a perfectly wonderful car with the LS. By the end of its run it had all the technology one could ask for, PLENTY of power, a V8 with excellent fuel economy, *REAR WHEEL DRIVE* architecture that drove the most like a BMW of any American car I've ever driven, and drop dead sexy looks. Ford chose not to market this car properly or give it any substantial upgrades in power and thus it fell by the wayside. Even the materials quality of the LS (on the DEW platform shared with none other than the Jaguar S) was top notch for a domestic production vehicle.

So guess what? Because of Ford's incompetence, they had to POUR millions into R&D for an ENTIRELY new car (albeit based on an existing platform) and worse yet, lay off hundreds of workers at the plant dedicated to building LSs. So yea, people LOST their jobs in the deletion of the LS. Not exactly something that would result in my loyalty. (And really if you think about it, the MKZ was supposed to be the LS replacement but the LS was so far out of the MKZs league that the MKS is the only thing even close.)

ryannel2003
10-06-08, 01:17 AM
The LS was the only other american car I was considering before I bought the Seville. Always was impressed with them, and then Ford had to go and kill the damn thing and replace it with this monstrosity.

Playdrv4me
10-06-08, 01:25 AM
The LS was the only other american car I was considering before I bought the Seville. Always was impressed with them, and then Ford had to go and kill the damn thing and replace it with this monstrosity.

You're not the only one. I felt exactly the same way. Even though they are inherently different cars (different powering wheels), they were really the closest thing between the two brands in my view, and the LS had alot of features the STS did not, but lacked in the looks department just a bit versus the STS. Not sure why but I always kind of viewed the two in the same light.

Aron9000
10-06-08, 02:33 AM
I've never understood why Ford dropped the ball by discontiniuing the Lincoln LS. Its a great driving car, looks really nice, and the interior was pretty high quality. I see a ton of them on the road, so you can't tell me it wasn't selling(at least for the first three or four years).

Ford should've done a complete redesign on them for MY 2005, instead of letting them wither on the vine like GM and Ford have a tendency to do.

Jesda
10-06-08, 09:17 AM
The LS was too smooth, powerful, and fun to drive to be a modern day Lincoln.

RIP Mark VIII
RIP LS
RIP Town Car
RIP Navigator (its dead to me now)

c5 rv
10-06-08, 09:41 AM
...Someone mentioned that they won't look at other brands because they have some kind of loyalty to the brand because "friends and neighbors worked for Ford and GM", and that kind of thinking just doesn't make any sense to me when you look at the big picture.

Actually, I said family and neighbors: father retired from GM, brother-in-law retired from Ford, at least 5 neighbors on our block work for or retired from GM or Ford. GM, Ford, Chrysler, and their suppliers are some of my clients. Those are the things that make up my big picture.

As for the LS, it was a handsome car, but I understand the early model years had many problems. Like so many other cars slated to die, the last couple years saw a marked improvement in product quality. My theory is that it's an attempt by the plant and UAW to win another car line rather than be shut down.

In defense of the MKS (and Taurus/Sable/500/Montego), they are wonderful cars for seniors and persons with limited mobility. The large doors, raised seating position, and tall rooflines make entry and exit easier. These cars are about 61" tall, versus most all other luxury cars that are 57-58" tall. With many older folks, the first part of the body that enters the cabin is not their foot, but their rear end. As much as companies target younger consumers, it's aging baby boomers that have the money to spend on luxury cars. For many of these people, important features are ease of entry, lots of passenger room, and lots of trunk space. Getting that from a domestic brand and having it made in Chicago is an added bonus.

Playdrv4me
10-06-08, 12:45 PM
Well, I just hope people are buying automobiles because they like them and find they suit their particular needs just right rather than financial support of the company. In your particular case I think the MKS may offer several benefits you can't find in other cars based on the explanation you gave.

However, I rue the day when the UAW has anything to do with the production decisions for a particular vehicle (though I suspect it happens already). That organization is responsible for more of Detroit's recent problems than just about anything else.

Sandy
10-06-08, 06:42 PM
I tend to like the Town Car. The main reason is that I was once in a BIG accident. Some 19 Y.O. punk stole (of all things) a Garbage Truck ! The police gave chase. He was about 38-42 MPH (as Police estimate) when he T-Boned me in the passenger's side, at the C-Pillar. Car did a 90 degree spin. Because at the last moment, when I saw what was about to happen to me, I floored the car. Tons of torque and around we went, doing a 90 degree spin and coming out of it and running smack into a cast iron old fashioned fire hydrant, ripping the sukka out of the ground thusly creating a volcano of water.
Me? A cut left elbow. The arriving law comments that I was darn lucky I was in that car, and had I been in a smaller car, I probably woulda been pretty hurt.

So, since then (1974) I have bought
2 Imperilals (1975 & 1981)
3 Lincolns (1986; 1998 & 2003
1 Cadillac (1993)

I just feel safer in a big car. Maybe i am just buying peace of mind...maybe not. So, I am buying the feeling of security:thumbsup:

Playdrv4me
10-06-08, 07:44 PM
I tend to like the Town Car. The main reason is that I was once in a BIG accident. Some 19 Y.O. punk stole (of all things) a Garbage Truck ! The police gave chase. He was about 38-42 MPH (as Police estimate) when he T-Boned me in the passenger's side, at the C-Pillar. Car did a 90 degree spin. Because at the last moment, when I saw what was about to happen to me, I floored the car. Tons of torque and around we went, doing a 90 degree spin and coming out of it and running smack into a cast iron old fashioned fire hydrant, ripping the sukka out of the ground thusly creating a volcano of water.
Me? A cut left elbow. The arriving law comments that I was darn lucky I was in that car, and had I been in a smaller car, I probably woulda been pretty hurt.

So, since then (1974) I have bought
2 Imperilals (1975 & 1981)
3 Lincolns (1986; 1998 & 2003
1 Cadillac (1993)

I just feel safer in a big car. Maybe i am just buying peace of mind...maybe not. So, I am buying the feeling of security:thumbsup:

Makes sense to me Sandy! That's one reason I like full-size SUVs!

soupero
10-11-08, 07:11 PM
Could someone help me, I was in Cuba a few weeks ago and saw a commercial with this new Licoln MKS but I can't find it on youtube, it has some great music on it. And I was watching an American TV Channel so you guys should know it.

Too bad it isn't on youtube, and I don't mean the one with the daft punk song. This one was very relaxing ...

Playdrv4me
10-11-08, 08:29 PM
Could someone help me, I was in Cuba a few weeks ago and saw a commercial with this new Licoln MKS but I can't find it on youtube, it has some great music on it. And I was watching an American TV Channel so you guys should know it.

Too bad it isn't on youtube, and I don't mean the one with the daft punk song. This one was very relaxing ...

3WS_alU8X2Q

c5 rv
10-11-08, 10:17 PM
My wife and I stopped at our local FLM dealer today to let her transfer into a few cars - no driving. The transfer to the MKS was easy and she liked the car a lot. The trunk opening was small, but I was able to load and unload her transport wheelchair easily. There was a lot of trunk room left over - not good for shopping. This car is staying on my list pending some test drives (and probably waiting for the ecoboost engine).

The transfer to the Flex was also easy, but she didn't care for the looks. The sheetmetal on the bottom of the front doors wrapped around horizontally toward the car and fit into a channel under the doorsill. It was too easy for me to get her left foot hung up on this metal when getting her out of the car. This car was an outside contender, but is now off the list.

The seat in the MKX was too high to transfer into without using a step. That's OK, since it ws never on my list.

concorso
10-11-08, 10:48 PM
You see, Ford *HAD* a perfectly wonderful car with the LS. By the end of its run it had all the technology one could ask for, PLENTY of power, a V8 with excellent fuel economy, *REAR WHEEL DRIVE* architecture that drove the most like a BMW of any American car I've ever driven, and drop dead sexy looks. Ford chose not to market this car properly or give it any substantial upgrades in power and thus it fell by the wayside. Even the materials quality of the LS (on the DEW platform shared with none other than the Jaguar S) was top notch for a domestic production vehicle.

The LS was a better car then the gen1 CTS in almost every way. And thats frustrating considering the CTS came after the LS. The LS outclassed and outdrove the Catera so badly, it really wasnt a fair fight. 10,12 years ago I really thought Lincoln would be where Cadillac is now...

concorso
10-11-08, 10:53 PM
However, I rue the day when the UAW has anything to do with the production decisions for a particular vehicle (though I suspect it happens already). That organization is responsible for more of Detroit's recent problems than just about anything else.Quoted for emphasis...

IF Ford had released a newer LS, updated the engine lineup, and offered a more updated look, Im not sure I would have gotten the CTS. But by the time I was in the market for a new car, the LS had dissappeared without a proper replacement and Caddy had released the CTS. I wanted an LS in highschool, not a Catera...

I highpowered LS would have been just perfect for me..

Caddy Man
10-13-08, 12:56 AM
Strange how many of you seem to be critical of the MKS..., sure the could have made some changes to the vehicle that would make it more competative...but I think it looks quite nice and I've read that they are selling quite well. I see them around here a lot.

RightTurn
10-13-08, 09:41 AM
Not so strange...this is a Cadillac forum afterall. :D I owned a 2000 LS and it was a nice vehicle, but I wouldn't say it was a better car than my CTS. I have always liked Lincoln vehicles but the recent models have the butt-ugly rear design. What's THAT all about??

And who decided that the mirror on the side of a 'Gator is a good idea?? Pull up next to one in traffic and you can model your clothes. Geesh.

Blackout
10-13-08, 10:27 AM
I owned a 2000 LS and it was a nice vehicle, but I wouldn't say it was a better car than my CTS.
Did you just compare a 2007 CTS to a 2000 LS?:thepan:

RightTurn
10-13-08, 10:38 AM
Yes. :lol:

c5 rv
10-13-08, 10:39 AM
... I've read that they are selling quite well. I see them around here a lot.

Strange, because I mentioned to my wife this weekend that I don't think I've ever seen an MKS on the road in our our area northwest of Detroit. Maybe they blend in too well. I see lots of MKZs, though.

Blackout
10-13-08, 11:41 AM
Yes. :lol:

lol alright just making sure:thumbsup:

RightTurn
10-13-08, 11:47 AM
Hey I'm a female; I get to say irrational stuff. :coffee:

c5 rv
10-13-08, 12:03 PM
And who decided that the mirror on the side of a 'Gator is a good idea?? Pull up next to one in traffic and you can model your clothes. Geesh.

Marketing to the bling demographic?

Sandy
10-13-08, 12:24 PM
Since Intro-Day I have seen only one MKS bearing private license plates. ONE !
It was white. I have had 3 Lincolns. I love my dealership. They are rated #1 in the Tri-State Area (NY NJ PA) and are a 20 year consecutive "President's Award" winner, the highest level a L-M dealer can achieve.

Would I buy a new MKS : NO

Okay? ! I would have bought a 2009 Town Car (just to have the last one) had "Father Ford" not decided to:-

Drop the MoonRoof
Drop the Fog Lights
Drop 6 outta 12 paint colors
Drop the "high" line, formerely called the "Designer Edition"

So.... I had to Drop Lincoln. So, I am keeping my 11,000 '03 T.C. Limited Edition.

orconn
10-13-08, 04:31 PM
I drove (in 2000) the first generation Lincoln LS with the V-6 in both the auto and manual configerations and I have to say I was not impressed, despite all the press fawning at the time. The Dash design was not attractive, the interior materials seemed cheap and the car wasn't anything special to drive. As I was needing a business car for my wife I had thought the LS would be a possibility. We ended up getting her a Catera which seemed a much better car; more comfortable, better handling on the twisties and much better build quality. In fairness I have never driven later iterations of the LS, nor did I drive the V-8 version because at $40,000 their were a lot of other cars I would have considered before the LS.

Caddy Man
10-13-08, 05:34 PM
Strange, because I mentioned to my wife this weekend that I don't think I've ever seen an MKS on the road in our our area northwest of Detroit. Maybe they blend in too well. I see lots of MKZs, though.

I work in Troy, Michigan at Somerset Collection, and I tend to notice a lot of MKSs in the lots there lately. At least to me it looked like they were selling quite well. I just dont get what everyone is griping about this car, while I hear nothing but how the Genesis is the greatest thing since slices bread (it is a nice car, don't get me wrong). I think Lincoln has a really nice vehicle in the MKS, I think they look really nice.

C5, like you, I am a big "buy Detroit" guy. Many people across the country do not see the real effects of our declining Big 3. I see and hear about it everyday. I always will buy American before I buy anything else, just out of support for our manufacturers and more importantly, my neighbors (figure of speech).

thebigjimsho
10-13-08, 07:24 PM
I saw an AWD MKS the other day. And it was TALL! Its roofline was as high as an Explorer and hovered over a CR-V and Vue when I saw it side by side.

MauiV
10-13-08, 08:16 PM
MKS is HUGE. My V was dwarfed next to it. The saleman said there is talk of a S/C model. Look at Ford, always a day late and a dollar short to the party.

Blackout
10-13-08, 08:32 PM
MKS is HUGE. My V was dwarfed next to it. The saleman said there is talk of a S/C model. Look at Ford, always a day late and a dollar short to the party.
Not really. Out of the big 3 Ford has been working on their new lineup of engines just in time for the CAFE regulations. But the salesman was close but it won't be a S/C engine but the same 3.5 V6 that it currently has but a twin turbo setup. It should have 350+ hp more around 400.

c5 rv
10-13-08, 09:06 PM
I took a MKS for a test drive today: AWD w/ ultimate package (19" wheels, nav, sunroof, push button start, etc.) It drove smoothly without lots of float and had sufficient, but not lots of, power. The six speed trans was busy upshifting when taking off, but was slow to kick down when needed. Seating is very comfortable with plenty of headroom and good hip room. The car remains on my short list. (BTW, the car is ~62" tall. Explorer: ~73". CRV: ~66". Vue: ~67". Cadillac sedans: 57-58". Maybe bigjim was thinking of the MKX.)

MauiV
10-13-08, 09:29 PM
Not really. Out of the big 3 Ford has been working on their new lineup of engines just in time for the CAFE regulations. But the salesman was close but it won't be a S/C engine but the same 3.5 V6 that it currently has but a twin turbo setup. It should have 350+ hp more around 400.

But Ford never offered a performance luxury sedan in hte moden era. The LS was the PERFECT platform with the S/C engine from the Jaguar S-Type R but now they just design the cars with the ugliest front ends and rears on the road now.

Playdrv4me
10-14-08, 12:22 AM
But Ford never offered a performance luxury sedan in hte moden era. The LS was the PERFECT platform with the S/C engine from the Jaguar S-Type R but now they just design the cars with the ugliest front ends and rears on the road now.

Can we please stop talking about the LS now... it makes me sad to think about what might have been :(

Jesda
10-14-08, 12:25 AM
http://www.bigpants.ca/juggling/images/Download_Knight_rider_david_hasselhoff_with_gary_c oleman.jpg
OBAMA/BIDEN 08

thebigjimsho
10-14-08, 02:02 AM
I took a MKS for a test drive today: AWD w/ ultimate package (19" wheels, nav, sunroof, push button start, etc.) It drove smoothly without lots of float and had sufficient, but not lots of, power. The six speed trans was busy upshifting when taking off, but was slow to kick down when needed. Seating is very comfortable with plenty of headroom and good hip room. The car remains on my short list. (BTW, the car is ~62" tall. Explorer: ~73". CRV: ~66". Vue: ~67". Cadillac sedans: 57-58". Maybe bigjim was thinking of the MKX.)No, it was the MKS sedan with AWD and dealer plates in San Jose. And it towered over the CR-V...

Blackout
10-14-08, 06:47 AM

True but performance luxury cars is a niche market to begin with so I think Lincoln has other things to worry about first before trying to throw its hat into the ring against the V series and the German brands

gothicaleigh
10-15-08, 06:00 PM
No, it was the MKS sedan with AWD and dealer plates in San Jose. And it towered over the CR-V...

AWD may add up to a couple inches in height.

All cars are way too tall now (my 90's Cadillac peaks at 54" and my 80's BMW only hits 52" high). The hoods of new cars seem to sit as high as old pickup trucks. :gothicaleigh:

Sandy
10-15-08, 08:41 PM
I have been a Caddy, Lincoln & Imperial guy since I was 17. First buying used 'cause of lack of $$$$ for new. I love all 3, and I never bad mouth them, 'cause they are American products. 2 Caddies, 3 Lincolns & 6 Imperials.

Sorry, I can't find anything good to say about the MKS
A (over)Loaded with options Grand Marquis LS is nicer and has ALL the
bells & whistles over there on the option list, to make it Lincolnesque, at
a much lower price. I await the CTS-V Coupe, now.

hyperboimmv
10-26-08, 05:41 PM
I drove the MKS and I actually liked it, except for the seats. It was a very smooth feeling car, and it felt like it could handle anything you threw at it... Would I buy one? Yes, after I buy a new model STS :-D ... Anyways, ford did something I didn't like with this car, and its the point of the key pad. I like the touch key pad, and the sensor key thing.. But instead of the car unlocking when you approach/try to open the door, you have to slide your hand down the keypad to unlock with out keys... There also wasn't a remote start option...

On the plus side, the Microsoft SYNC rocks, and even has a calendar built in!!

c5 rv
10-26-08, 08:57 PM
I drove the MKS and I actually liked it, except for the seats...

What was wrong with the seats? (That's one of my complaints about the MKZ.) I thought the MKS seats were very comfortable on my test drive.

c5 rv
10-26-08, 10:54 PM
Why is it that cadillacforums has a more active MKS discussion than the Lincoln forums?

hyperboimmv
10-27-08, 07:45 AM
I didn't like the seats because they felt 'fitted'. I wasn't in them long enough to get comfortable, but the first impression was that they weren't that comfortable. I am sure they would be fine if I spent more time in them.

Sandy
10-27-08, 11:10 AM
I think some of the mindsets here are if you like & drive a Cadillac, you MUST, you are REQUIRED, to hate Lincoln.
Well, I am here to say, that I LOVE my Town Car and it's just perfect, and has never given me even 1 problem.
I also want to say that I love my Sixty Special, and it's just perfect & has never given me a single problem ! Cadillac & Lincoln represent America's finest and are truly "all American". I also loved my Imperial(s) of which I had many, and likewise only had 1 problem with 1 of them & that was fixed in 30 minutes. No problems with the other Imperials, and by the way .... they were never called Chrysler Imperials. The public tacked that on. The actual BRAND was IMPERIAL, and the top model (think Fleetwood) was the LeBaron and the lower model (think deVille) was called "Crown" or sometimes reversed, as in Crown Imperial.

It's okay to like other brands.... really. :yup:

Mark0101
10-27-08, 11:27 AM
ok so I finally sat in one and it was ok. The first thing is that the car is filled with technology for a car at that price range. I am sure he only showed me some of the cool features like the doors opening automatically when you have the key. I didn't even get into the navigation because I have seen a video of it but it just has too much stuff. (I came in a Town Car to the dealership) So when I first sat in, it made me feel closed in and had too many blind spots. Second it didn't feel like a car but more of a jeep because your sitting way too high. lets just say it had a luxury feel of a highend crossover. Maybe you can get use to it after awhile like with any car. If I was in the market, this would be one on the list.

Lord Cadillac
10-27-08, 11:41 AM
The touchpad is nice but I prefer other methods where you just walk up to the vehicle, pull the handle and open the door (and start it) all without having the key in your hand. The pushbutton method is cute, though. :bigroll:

I've never understood why other companies didn't adopt it. My friend's 1986 Continental had it too.

MauiV
10-27-08, 12:21 PM
I LOVED my Lincoln LS but it was underpowered. I prefered the interior over the CTS by quite a bit. I also loved the keypad entry. I didnt carry my keys anywhere, I just stuck them in the console and locked them in.

I absolutly HATE the new Lincoln exterior designs though and find them ATTROCIOUS.

Blackout
10-27-08, 01:04 PM
ok so I finally sat in one and it was ok. The first thing is that the car is filled with technology for a car at that price range. I am sure he only showed me some of the cool features like the doors opening automatically when you have the key. I didn't even get into the navigation because I have seen a video of it but it just has too much stuff. (I came in a Town Car to the dealership) So when I first sat in, it made me feel closed in and had too many blind spots. Second it didn't feel like a car but more of a jeep because your sitting way too high. lets just say it had a luxury feel of a highend crossover. Maybe you can get use to it after awhile like with any car. If I was in the market, this would be one on the list.
Well of course going from a Town Car to an MKS you are going to feel more closed in because it's nowhere near the same size. The sitting position is actually one of the things from Ford I have liked because it keeps your legs at a more relaxed and natural feel and it is better for head on collisions compared to having your legs out in front of you.