: New Tires

Clintonwmills
06-17-04, 09:33 AM
Okay, here is the problem. I have about 4K miles on my V and both back tires are gone. On almost ever indicator it meets the tire. In rain it slides around in 2nd gear at 10 mph (really a lot of fun!) Now in my defense it is pretty hard to burn the tires out. I know that most people that use their tires in the first couple thousand miles usually do some good clutch drops. Both tires are equally worn. I would have though that the back right tire would be much worse then the back left from wheel hop. I figured all that jerking on that back wheel would ware it out.

So a quick recap, if I thought about getting bigger tires on the back i.e 285, I do not remember if this was even possible. I think I recall it not being possible? I love my V rims, I do not want to switch those. If I go bigger to a 285 I would want an after market tire that matched the look. But if I stay at the 245 I do not want to buy tires ever 4K miles. I am not going to change my driving habits. So is there a tire that can fit my needs?

Thanks

oceanhut
06-17-04, 09:49 AM
The only problem with going bigger in only the back would be an increase in understeer (correct me if Im wrong.) However, if you never track the car, there really shouldnt be a large concern for understeer. As for the wear and tear of the tires-- I would think runflats, because of their stiffness, would last longer than a softer larger tire.
As for your driving habits: I would imagine the clutch drops will begin to lose their novelty after awhile. Granted, they are fun (I actualy dont do them too much because Im not a fan of beating the car (although I know it can handle it)) but I would imagine that after a while you'll treat the car like a daily driver with the capabilities to rip..... but maybe not ;)

globed70
06-17-04, 10:06 AM
Clinton,

First, you have (had) the opportunity to rotate the tires... that would have extended their life quite a bit.

If you change to a different tread tire, you would want to do that at all four corners. I'm not convinced there is much to gain from trying to fit a wider tire on the factory rim.... the tire and rim widths are arranged to keep the tread located well during cornering.

I'm not convinced you can go much larger in the back anyhow, without significant investment, even if you wanted to buy new wheels/tires.

At this point you can either replace with the same tires in back, or switch out all four to something cheaper (and perhaps slightly better)... One of our boardmembers, Cal, has gone to Michelins.... although you will give up the runflat ability.

Hope it helps.

Dan

Clintonwmills
06-17-04, 11:26 AM
I don't mind not having run flats. Going to the same tire is nto an option. They wear to fast. I wonder how the Michelins do?

Trilio
06-17-04, 11:28 AM
I am looking for a tire to be used just for those few days I run at very high speed at Road America [ if and when the oil temp issue is resolved ]. I will use the run flats on the street and have them as emergency spares for the track. Any one know of a good forged ie lighter. stronger wheel available for our lug pattern and appropiate tire combo? I am not opposed to going larger all the way around if it does not add weight over the originals.

miscreant
06-17-04, 11:39 AM
Okay, here is the problem. I have about 4K miles on my V and both back tires are gone. On almost ever indicator it meets the tire. In rain it slides around in 2nd gear at 10 mph (really a lot of fun!) Now in my defense it is pretty hard to burn the tires out. I know that most people that use their tires in the first couple thousand miles usually do some good clutch drops. Both tires are equally worn. I would have though that the back right tire would be much worse then the back left from wheel hop. I figured all that jerking on that back wheel would ware it out.

So a quick recap, if I thought about getting bigger tires on the back i.e 285, I do not remember if this was even possible. I think I recall it not being possible? I love my V rims, I do not want to switch those. If I go bigger to a 285 I would want an after market tire that matched the look. But if I stay at the 245 I do not want to buy tires ever 4K miles. I am not going to change my driving habits. So is there a tire that can fit my needs?

Thanks
Your wheels are 8.5" wide. 285/xx tires will be too wide for that size rim. 245/45 are a good fit and will profide the best handling characteristics based on the fitment on an 8.5" wheel.

The F-1s are notorious for wearing out quickly. Yes, they are runflats, but their tread compound is extremely soft, and heats up quickly and get's sticky quickly. Driving over 70mph probably wears them out more than the occasional burnout (hopout? :rolleyes: ). What pressure are you running?

Probably the best tire in the bunch that will give you decent treadlife, probably better overall handling (in wet especially), and are light on the pocketbook to boot are the Eagle F1 GSD3s. The GSD3s put down a ton of contact patch and they are especially known for their launching grip. Stay away from the Potenza RE's (horrible treadwear) though the S0-3s are okay...

Clintonwmills
06-17-04, 12:06 PM
Your wheels are 8.5" wide. 285/xx tires will be too wide for that size rim. 245/45 are a good fit and will profide the best handling characteristics based on the fitment on an 8.5" wheel.

The F-1s are notorious for wearing out quickly. Yes, they are runflats, but their tread compound is extremely soft, and heats up quickly and get's sticky quickly. Driving over 70mph probably wears them out more than the occasional burnout (hopout? :rolleyes: ). What pressure are you running?

Probably the best tire in the bunch that will give you decent treadlife, probably better overall handling (in wet especially), and are light on the pocketbook to boot are the Eagle F1 GSD3s. The GSD3s put down a ton of contact patch and they are especially known for their launching grip. Stay away from the Potenza RE's (horrible treadwear) though the S0-3s are okay...
That seems like a good fit. But if you said they wear at 70mph why are the front perfect? How much fro 4 est?

lasstss
06-17-04, 12:26 PM
Cal, 265's and 275's require a 9"+ rim although Im sure you could sneak a 265 -40R-18 on them. The spedo would only be off 1.3%. No issue. I am probably going to go with the 255/45R18's on the rear. 40's just ride too hard for my taste. BRidgestones are my pick as they make no noise and ride nice.

miscreant
06-17-04, 12:30 PM
That seems like a good fit. But if you said they wear at 70mph why are the front perfect? How much fro 4 est?
That was kind of a joke. But your rears will always wear out faster simply because that's where the torque is, whether starting from a stop, or cruising at 70mph. There is no rotational force in the front.

benjet
06-17-04, 01:15 PM
Cal, has gone to Michelins.... although you will give up the runflat ability.

From what I recently read on the Michelin web site they now have the Pilot Sport in a run flat as well. Will need to look into it further...

-Ben

P.S. I've heard some negative reviews from ppl I know personally (not online) about performance driving and the NEW Pilot Sport PS/2 - they recommended to stick with the older style (which is still plentifully available).

Clintonwmills
06-17-04, 05:31 PM
I got off the phone with Mallett and he said you can have 275 on the back, no problem with the same suspense. He seems to know what he is talking about. Does anyone disagree with him? Also to fix the wheel hop he said you use a tension bar, and it does not have to do with the shocks?? He said he wonít sell that until October, but you get it with his 16K package! If he has fixed it, and I know he has, why isnít there a solid solution for everyone? Thoughts?

miscreant
06-17-04, 06:13 PM
I got off the phone with Mallett and he said you can have 275 on the back, no problem with the same suspense. He seems to know what he is talking about. Does anyone disagree with him?
Well, I professionally disagree with him :rolleyes: .

99% of 275/40R18 tires have a minimum recommended width of 9" with 9.5"-10" recommended. If you put too large of a tire on too small of a rim, they look horrible and handle horrible. What you end up doing is pulling the sidewall in and creating a roll effect when cornering. You just will not get a good, reliable seat on the wheel. I've been a wheel and tire fanatic for a long time, and it's not something I would even consider. The handling you lose alone would negate me from doing it.

Dreamin
06-17-04, 06:21 PM
Hoosier agrees w/Ron:

If you find that your vehicle, or the rules, will not allow a wide enough wheel for the tire you think you would like, consider using a narrower tire. In most cases a properly sized wheel/tire combination will outperform a wider tire on a wheel that is too narrow.

With that said... the Potenza 050 is spec'd for an 8.5" rim... (that's the tire the Enzo runs!).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Potenza+RE050

Cal
06-17-04, 06:30 PM
From what I recently read on the Michelin web site they now have the Pilot Sport in a run flat as well. Will need to look into it further...

-Ben

P.S. I've heard some negative reviews from ppl I know personally (not online) about performance driving and the NEW Pilot Sport PS/2 - they recommended to stick with the older style (which is still plentifully available).
Oh, maybe I won't advocate those. Those were looking to be my purchase once I burn through these. I have the Pilot Sport XL (245) which I believe is Y-rated and they are great. Help with handling a lot and possibly with a bit of wheel hop, but it is really hard to compare especially since I have FG2 now also. If you don't get the XL which I believe is a somewhat softer tire they are around $260 and change at tire rack, and the ones I got were around $280 each.

miscreant
06-17-04, 07:11 PM
With that said... the Potenza 050 is spec'd for an 8.5" rim... (that's the tire the Enzo runs!).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Potenza+RE050
Man, I hate to burst a bubble :crying: , but I usually go with the manufacturers info rather than Tire Racks. Bridgestone's website says 9"-11":

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/dpp/sizespecs.asp?passproductid=1063
(at the very bottom, second to last)

wildwhl
06-17-04, 07:18 PM
I'm in the same boat, just turning 4,000 miles today, and my tires are at about 45-50% tread remaining on the rear. I'm going to rotate this weekend.

I've been thinking, though, what about 255/45/18 when I do replace them (rear only). Anybody see any problem with this? What I was thinking is having a "track set" with 245 front and 255 rear and my "street set" with something less sticky with 245 all around. I've already built my little inserts for the spare tire compartment to hold the tire goop and inflater, along with a single Kicker 8sl5...but that's another story (sorry, no photos yet).

In other words, the run flat thing isn't entirely important to me right now. I'd just like some great handling and maybe about 10,000 miles per set of tires (yes, I've practiced wheel hop and am sure this and 2nd gear are why my tires are missing their life span - not to mention the tireshredding I did during AutoX last weekend).

So, again, any reason we can't go 255/45/18 on the stock wheels in the rear?

Dreamin
06-17-04, 07:51 PM
Man, I hate to burst a bubble

Checked that site too big guy... :D

That tire is the runflat, look second from the top...

Dreamin
06-17-04, 08:08 PM
So, again, any reason we can't go 255/40/18 on the stock wheels in the rear?

Shouldn't be a problem mixing 245 and 255... that's within the limits of the StabiliTrak (though i'm basing this on Z06 algorithms, haven't tried it myself on a V) - it'll change when it kicks in just a little.

I assume you dont mean mixing tire brands, i.e. stock 245 and some other 255 :bonkers:

Update: Opps, my comments above are for 255/45/18... which is 0.3" taller.

miscreant
06-17-04, 08:49 PM
Checked that site too big guy... :D

That tire is the runflat, look second from the top...
Yeah, you got me there :banghead: , but I still think 8.5" is too small for a 275/40 tire.

miscreant
06-17-04, 08:53 PM
I'm in the same boat, just turning 4,000 miles today, and my tires are at about 45-50% tread remaining on the rear. I'm going to rotate this weekend.

I've been thinking, though, what about 255/40/18 when I do replace them (rear only). Anybody see any problem with this? What I was thinking is having a "track set" with 245 front and 255 rear and my "street set" with something less sticky with 245 all around. I've already built my little inserts for the spare tire compartment to hold the tire goop and inflater, along with a single Kicker 8sl5...but that's another story (sorry, no photos yet).

In other words, the run flat thing isn't entirely important to me right now. I'd just like some great handling and maybe about 10,000 miles per set of tires (yes, I've practiced wheel hop and am sure this and 2nd gear are why my tires are missing their life span - not to mention the tireshredding I did during AutoX last weekend).

So, again, any reason we can't go 255/40/18 on the stock wheels in the rear?
255/40R18 is about .6" shorter than the factory 245/45R18s. It will fit, but I think you might notice the size difference...That is unless you run it all the way around, which you could do, or even run 225/45 up front (though 8.5" is really too wide for a 225/45 tire)...

Dreamin
06-17-04, 11:13 PM
Opps, my comments in the post above are for 255/45/18... which is 0.3" taller.

I'm not sure if 255/40/18 will work so well... first the rear will be smaller than your fronts. :suspect:

And the limit for the traction/handling system on the Z06 is 0.7" - difference in diameter between front and rear tires, relative to stock - before the system shorts throwing code. (i.e. rear can be 0.7" taller than stock front; or increase front diameter 0.3", then you can increase rear by 1", etc.) - not considering how much the speedo will be off here.
So with 255/40, you'll be pretty close to the limit.

Dreamin
06-17-04, 11:28 PM
Clinton, what about just running cheaper 245/45 tires all the way around?

Something in a "Ultra high performance" category, not "Max performance". Dont know how much this will hurt handling / traction... of course it wont be like an S03 or Pilot, but compared to the runflats... might not be too bad.

Dunlop SP8000s & Yokohama AVS ES100 are ~$160/tire... less than half the stockers... and rotate often.

Trilio, get in touch with CCW... http://www.ccwheel.com/ and ask if they make their *race* wheels for the V, I think they do. Cant touch that wheel for strength and weight ~$450 a wheel.

Clintonwmills
06-18-04, 12:54 AM
Well, I professionally disagree with him :rolleyes: .

99% of 275/40R18 tires have a minimum recommended width of 9" with 9.5"-10" recommended. If you put too large of a tire on too small of a rim, they look horrible and handle horrible. What you end up doing is pulling the sidewall in and creating a roll effect when cornering. You just will not get a good, reliable seat on the wheel. I've been a wheel and tire fanatic for a long time, and it's not something I would even consider. The handling you lose alone would negate me from doing it.
No he said a 275 with 9" would fit. New rim.

WhiteLightning
06-18-04, 01:25 AM
Hi all...

Just an fyi...

I'm running 255/45-18 all around. I couldn't stand the runflats. Pirelli PZeros.

I really like them.

WL

Dreamin
06-18-04, 01:40 AM
WhiteL: I thought you posted that they rub in front just a little... exactly where / how do they rub?

wildwhl
06-18-04, 02:31 AM
Whoops, that was a typo above. I meant 255/45/18...just wanted to be a touch wider and could live with filling the wheel well up a tad.

My bad...

lasstss
06-18-04, 03:43 PM
That is the size im going for in the Bridgestones. About 3/8" wider and a hair taller. I should have my wheel by the end of this month. Brushed centers, polished outers.

WhiteLightning
06-20-04, 02:40 PM
Dreamin-

They rub on the fender skirt. The big black plastic thing. No big deal. Only when I bottom out on something.

WL