: Ferrari California officially unveiled with FULL specs and details

Luxury & Exotics
10-02-08, 08:00 PM
Full press release and specs - http://www.modifiedle.com/events/archives/event_100.html

FERRARI CALIFORNIA UNVEILED
460 HP and 358 FT-LBS of TORQUE
October 2, 2008

Finally, the new Ferrari California has been officially been unveiled and already we’re daydreaming about cruising through Sonoma with the top down. With the sun in our faces and the wind in our hair, there’s no way we’re stopping at Mondavi (maybe another day). No… in this daydream we’re off to Infineon, because while the California is a great lazy-day four-seater convertible, it’s also a hard top coupe with 460 hp, a double-clutch paddle shift tranny and carbon ceramic brakes.

All 460 hp are available at 7750 rpm while the 358 ft-lbs of torque comes on at 5000 rpm. Ferrari says 268 ft-lbs will be available from just 2250 rpm – making the car more useable for every-day driving.

The California isn’t light at 3,825 lbs (with a weight distribution of 47/53), but these days that number isn’t exactly heavy either. Still, the weight doesn’t seem to matter as Ferrari claims the California will hit 60 mph in four seconds, run a quarter mile in 12.2 seconds and blast all the way to a top speed of 196 mph.

We can’t say it’s our favorite Ferrari in the looks category, but you can be sure the aesthetics are functional. Apparently the car has 10 percent less drag than other Ferrari models with a coefficient of .32. That also means it’s more efficient on gas – if only minutely so. What will really make a difference on gas consumption is the fact that this engine features direct injection technology.

And when it comes to the design of the car, we really do love those stacked exhaust pipes out back.

As for the interior, it will be offered as a two-seater or as a 2+ with a rear bench able to sit one or two passengers. The retractable hard-top takes just 14 seconds to open or close. Designed to be more luxurious and less sporting, the interior is a real gem. After just a close look it’s easily more in line with the 599 than the F430 – not that there’s anything wrong with the F430’s interior, it’s just that the 599 takes interior luxury to a higher plateau. As well, the California will come equipped with a four-screen 6.5-inch display screen.

On the steering wheel can be found Ferrari’s Manettino, although the choices are much more limited than usual. The California’s Manettino has three settings, Comfort, Sport and CST-off (which eliminates all electronic aides – except ABS).

We’re eager to make our daydream a reality and we’ll be sure to bring you news of how it drives as soon as we possibly can!

http://gallery.modifiedle.com/gallery2/main.php/d/133938-1/48839_080058car_top.jpg
GALLERY http://gallery.modifiedle.com/gallery2/main.php/v/modifiedle-com/ferrari_california/

Submariner409
10-02-08, 08:34 PM
.................so ???

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-03-08, 09:24 AM
So is this gonna be the new "entry level" Ferrari or will this be higher in the range?

The front end looks somewhat odd to me, like the hood isn't long enough and the fenders are peaked too high.

gothicaleigh
10-03-08, 10:07 AM
So is this gonna be the new "entry level" Ferrari or will this be higher in the range?

The front end looks somewhat odd to me, like the hood isn't long enough and the fenders are peaked too high.

It's the new americanized Ferrari (appropriately named 'California'). It's a front engine, rear wheel drive Ferrari-Vette.

The basic lines look attractive enough, but the many vents, ducts, and scoops make it needlessly busy in my opinion. Nice car though and will wait until I can see one in person (presumably at NAIAS) to pass final judgement.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-03-08, 10:20 AM
Oh ok, it's a proper GT, gotcha. Does it replace the 612 Scagletti or 599 Fiorano in the lineup than or slot in somewhere else?

Coma
10-03-08, 11:07 AM
Looks like a Porsche with a Maserati grill.

Cadillacboy
10-03-08, 11:17 AM
Thanks , merry & jerry for that thread

gary88
10-03-08, 02:05 PM
Oh ok, it's a proper GT, gotcha. Does it replace the 612 Scagletti or 599 Fiorano in the lineup than or slot in somewhere else?

It's a brand new, fourth model range for Ferrari.

And the California name is a revival of the name used for the 1957 250 GT Spider.

CTSV_Rob
10-03-08, 04:37 PM
If I were to buy a Ferrari it would be the traditional mid engine.

In this case I would rather have a vette.

concorso
10-04-08, 03:43 PM
It's a brand new, fourth model range for Ferrari.

And the California name is a revival of the name used for the 1957 250 GT Spider. Well, technically since the California name was used on an different model later in the 60's, its a revival of that cars' name...365 California.

Spyder... :)

Isnt it great that the Ferraris only destined for N.America are always soft GT's and convertibles?

concorso
10-04-08, 03:46 PM
If I were to buy a Ferrari it would be the traditional mid engine.

In this case I would rather have a vette.Id go a step farther. If its not a mid engined 12, Im not interested. Unless its a classic. Then...