: Can changing your own oil void your warranty?

BeelzeBob
06-12-03, 07:22 AM
Well. I thought I'd bring this thought more out in the open in case anyone else wondered about it. Ralph brought up the fact that the Cadillac dealer his Father uses asked him to bring the car in for oil changes. It would seem quite odd if changing your own oil would void your warranty - but we all know how companies are trying to save every penny any way they can. So is there any possibility that this can be the case?

Katshot
06-12-03, 07:32 AM
NO.
The manufacturer cannot "force" the customer to bring thier car in to the dealer for "scheduled" maintenance.

elwesso
06-12-03, 11:11 AM
But they can void your warranty if they detect a lack of maintenance??

the Sandman
06-12-03, 11:51 AM
The dealer/manufacturer cannot void the warranty unless you do not follow their recommended maintenance schedule (including oil grade/viscosity and not putting in any additives). They cannot make coming to the dealership for maintenance a warranty requirement unless they give you the service for free.

The safe route is to follow manufacturer's recommendations on engine and transmission maintenance to the letter and save all documentation, whether done at the dealership or not. Any service beyond routine maintenance should be done at the dealership while under warranty.

Ralph
06-15-03, 12:46 AM
I hope you are right Kat, cause my dad is a bit stubborn and does not want to drive 4 hours total for an oil change. (which are supposedly free for 2 years btw). He bought the GM oil and GM filter and will do it himself. PS my friend who bought a new Honda in the fall got a bit of a scare from the dealer on this subject, because they told him to go there. (they probably just want the money)

Liseckas
06-24-03, 08:35 PM
You can't believe a thing those @%#&! :sneaky: dealers tell you anymore. :contract:

By the way, your dad doesn't even have to buy their oil or their filters. :shhh:

elwesso
06-24-03, 11:45 PM
You can use basically whatever oil/filter you want to use, but if something breaks and they can trace it down to crappy oil/filter, you better be ready to pay....