Cadillac Owners Forum banner
11K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  daniel58 
#1 ·
I have a 1967 deville with 429ci V8. I am wondering if anyone have used Restore - engine restorer and lubricant on their cadillacs? If so, did it make any difference in mileage or power?

Thanks

#3 ·
wojtekj said:
I have a 1967 deville with 429ci V8. I am wondering if anyone have used Restore - engine restorer and lubricant on their cadillacs? If so, did it make any difference in mileage or power?

Thanks
all boils down to this question...do you beleive in flying carpets? :coolgleam

#5 ·
cadillacdeville said:
Yes, I have used it on my 77 sedan deville with a 425 and a 143,000 miles on it and it does wonders for compression decreased the oil usage of the engine plus I put it in every oil change with havoline high mileage oil works real good I would definitely recommend it.
it may work to a degree...but if your motor is smoking like uncle buck's car, then you may need more than hida-smoke in a can. i would however suggest lucas oil stabilizer, that would be much better than the other stuff out there.

#7 ·
cadillacdeville said:
hey I've seen that lucas stuff is it any good
good for an engine that is high miles, that does not smoke in exess...it is like a synthetic additive, that is supposed to help keep compression managable and add life to the existing oil in the engine. by no means a cure for a bad motor though.

#9 ·
the restore stuff just thickens up the oil.... I honestly woudln't try it....

... I ran a bottle of Lucas oil stablizer (I like Lucas products alot) in my Oldsmobile over the winter.... I really didn't notice anything.. I ran 10W-13 in it at the time, but I then switched to 5W-10 for better flow (plus it is what the cap says) although that engine dosn't smoke or burn oil or anything....

if the enigne smokes alot... it needs a ring job... if you want to get the longest life from it... use :::gasp::: synthetic.... Mobil 1 or AMSoil is the best...

#11 ·
JohnnyO said:
:coolgleam I saw photos of a test at www.bobistheoilguy.com of Lucas, at least what showed up there was that it caused the oil to foam up.
man, that sort of freaks me out!!! but i have been using lucas for a couple of years too. hmm...maybe i should check into using it a little more, huh?

#12 ·
the funny part is... on the side of the 4, 6 and 8cyl restore cans, they have a little graph and shows how it brought the compression up....well, on the 8cyl one it says 1978 (I think) Cadillac 8cyl.... must be the 425 then.... and has a graph with before the compression is like 30-40 for each cyl and after it is 60-70... just funny how they did the "test" on a Cad....

#13 ·
I use it every time I change my oil and when I replaced the valve cover gaskets there was no burnt or crusted oil on the rockers or any place on the cylinder head and no sludge or crusted crap in the oil pan when I replace the gasket there plus at a 150,000 mile my 425 consume 0 oil. so if you've never tried it don't knock it.

#14 ·
The stuff is garbage. If you don't want sludge in your engine, don't run cheap motor oil, anything from penzoil or quakerstate.

Also, don't change brands of motor oil. Different refineries use different chemicals and when they combine, sludge happens.

Personally, on older engines, I absolutely refuse to use a multi-viscosity motor oil. If you wish, I will post why, but it is far too detailed for this thread.

Ogier

#16 ·
setup a drip system and have motor oil drip into the carb while it is running.

This is a really funny practical joke to play on someone who is way too intense about their car(baby)...

I won't mention the electrically ignited smoke bombs hooked to the spark plug wires... oops, too late....

Ogier
:lildevil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.