: Prices on cadillac.com

Benjamin Simon
10-01-08, 09:31 PM
Hey, did anyone notice that the MSRP of every cadillac went up a few thousand? The STS starts at $46,725. Was it not around $42.5K in 2008? Inflation I suppose...

ryannel2003
10-01-08, 09:41 PM
Yeah I think it started at around $43k last year... but I'm more shocked by the price jump of the CTS. It starts at almost $37k base now... that's pretty high IMO.

Benjamin Simon
10-01-08, 10:14 PM
Yeah I think it started at around $43k last year... but I'm more shocked by the price jump of the CTS. It starts at almost $37k base now... that's pretty high IMO.

Back in 2006, GM started "value pricing" which is when the MSRP is closer to the invoice. Perhaps they are leaving that and putting $6K rebates and allowing dealers maintain margin.

I agree with the $37K CTS. I think it sell very strong if it was around $30. Perhaps GM is trying to reposition the CTS to where the STS was a few years ago.

ryannel2003
10-01-08, 10:23 PM
The STS has always been an overlooked car: the CTS is the star of the line-up, and the DTS is for the older generation. However, the STS truely is the better car: the handling of the CTS, with the ride of a DTS. I was extremely disappointed when I drove the new CTS; the seats are hard and uncomfortable, the ride is jarring, and it's quite cramped. The STS is just a much better car, and on the used car market it's getting cheap. I've seen a few '08 STS DI's with 15k going for $31k. That's a value right there, and I'll pick one up when my Seville dies or gets past 120k. I would never pay $37k for a CTS when it'll be worth $25k or less in 2-3 years.

MARKVIII
10-02-08, 06:58 AM
STS sales for Sept. were 859. In my opinion the STS v6 should start at 37k and nicely equipped $42. The V8 should start at 40k and nicely equipped 45k. The car is priced way to high. Rebates here are close to 10k off sticker.

miked
10-03-08, 02:12 AM
I've always felt that way about Cadillacs in general, unfortunately. The "employee discount" prices are the reasonable prices that should be the normal prices. We got a loaded 08 STS (except AWD and Tuscany leather) for $53K, and it lists for $65K. At $53K it was about right; at $65K no way. I think the person who said $45K for a nicely equipped V8 was right on the money.

When we bought our 05 SRX (V8 AWD w/all options), the list was $62K, and with the discounts they were offering at the time it also was around $53K, which was reasonable. A comparable 06 then was something like $57K, after GM's "resetting" of MSRP's, which apparently have subsequently crept back up.

I believe that GM's goal at that time was laudable -- that people who are Internet shopping are seeing GM prices that are much much higher than what they will realistically get when they go to the dealer (presumably Toyota, etc., are closer in this respect; FWIW, when we bought a Lexus RX300 a long time ago, the dealer had a "take it or leave it" price of just a grand or two under list). But, at the same time, I believe that we have all been Pavlov-dogged into believing that American cars in general, including GM, will always have some sort of incentives on them, such that if there are no/minimal incentives running, then you just don't buy at that time. I know I'm in this boat.

I don't know how you break this cycle; obviously, in the middle of such a sales depression, it's not a good time to start. But at the same time, in the midst of a sales boom, you probably want to maximize profits, and sell as much iron as possible, instead of being disclipined to break the cycle.

miked
10-03-08, 02:17 AM
The STS has always been an overlooked car: the CTS is the star of the line-up, and the DTS is for the older generation. However, the STS truely is the better car: the handling of the CTS, with the ride of a DTS. I was extremely disappointed when I drove the new CTS; the seats are hard and uncomfortable, the ride is jarring, and it's quite cramped. The STS is just a much better car,

I agree. When I told a buddy of mine that I got an STS, he asked me why I didn't get the CTS. I mentioned V8, magnetic ride control, etc., but he wasn't buying it. The problem is that if you just read car mags, you believe that the CTS is Mecca, and the STS is the CTS's less-talented older brother (to quote Road & Track or Motor Trend). As for the DTS, I like it in a retro sort-of way. I completely understand why it's in the lineup, but I just wish that there was a more technologically advanced larger car in the lineup, too -- like a long-wheelbase STS. Afterall, the CTS is between the BMW 3 and 5 in size, and the STS is between the BMW 5 and 7 in size, so a long-wheelbase STS would be comparable to a 7-series long wheelbase. The DTS sort of slots parallel to the CTS/STS.