: still haveing problems!!!!

bluesteve1
10-01-08, 10:18 PM
hey everyone my car's check engine light has been turning on and off and occaisonally dieing. when I did the on-board diagnostics it read "-00- 48" which is a MAF sensor code. I replaced the MAF and it's still happening. I went to Autozone and the guy there looked it up in his book and he said it was the EGR, so he proceeded to go outside to look at my car. he said when he presses on the EGR that the car should die , so he pressed it and it didn't die. I bought an EGR disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes to clear the codes and I was driving home the Engine light came on and then turned off real quick. this happened a few times. I drove it to this guy's house so he could hook up his Scan Tool to it so he could try and get a reading and it wouldn't work. he then got out his volt meter and said there was no power going to where hook up the Scan Tool.
what does all this mean. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!1
Thanx

csbuckn
10-01-08, 11:20 PM
the fuse to the computer controls the scan outlet. The first problem you descibed sounds like the EGR so that should be fixed but it should be a fuse that controls the scan outlet. The issue you may have is finding out why the fuse blows. If it blows again, I would check the wires to the EGR and make sure they are in decent condition. Then hope it stops there.

bluesteve1
10-01-08, 11:52 PM
Why would the MAF code come up if it's the EGR?? the only connection to the EGR is a vaccum line.
do you know what fuse controls the scan outlet? if it's not the fuse could it be a short in the wiring to the scan outlet?
thanx for your help

bluesteve1
10-02-08, 06:57 PM
Anybody????? It's a 94 FWB

csbuckn
10-03-08, 01:29 AM
Are you sure that the code you read was a MAF code and not a MAP code? My code book is a generic for GM and Ford and vacuum codes usually give me a couple of options. Because if the guy at the store says its EGR, he probably read MAP sensor. That would make more sense with the codes. If your car died when it came to a stop or was poor during heavier acceleration, it was probably the EGR. I'm not sure what fuse is the right one but it shouldnt be too hard to find. As for the short, Its always possible but most of those wires arent really beatin on so they probably arent in bad condition. If it really reads MAF sensor, um........

bluesteve1
10-05-08, 01:41 PM
as far as the fuse goes i have 3 of them pulled out of my car right now which are the horn, D/int lts and the hazard lts fuses. i'll put those back in and see if i can get a ready. the car is still dieing after i replaced the EGR and the code is still coming up.
yup when I ran the on board test I had it set on the "-00-" mode and code 48 came up. I found this chart in another thread:

PCM diagnostics codes... (-00)

11: malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) circuit
13: Bank 1 (left) heated o2 sensor (open circuit)
14: Engine coolant coolant temperature sensor (siganl voltage low, high tempurature indicated)
15: Engine coolant coolant temperature sensor (siganl voltage high, low tempurature indicated.
16: Distributor ignition system (low resolution pulse)
18: injector circuits.
21: Throttle position sensor TPS circuit (signal voltage high)
22: Throttle position sensor TPS circuit (signal voltage low)
23: Air intake temperature IAT sensor circuit (signal voltage high, low temperature indicated.
24: Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) circuit.
25: Air intake temperature IAT sensor circuit (signal voltage low, high temperature indicated
26: Evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge solenoid circuit.
27: Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) vaccum control signal solenoid valve circuit
28: transmission range (TR) pressure switch assembly fault
29: Secondary air injector (AIR) pump circuit.
32: Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) 1 of 2
33: Manifold absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor circuit (signal voltage high- vacuum low)
34: Manifold absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor circuit (signal voltage low-vacuum high)
36: Distrigutor ignition system (faulty high resolution pulse or extra low resolution pulse detected.)
37: brake switch stuck on
38: brake switch stuck off
41: Ignition control (IC) circuit (open)
42: Ignition control (IC) circuit (shorted or grounded circuit)
43: Knock sensor (KS) circuit
44: Bank 1 (left) heated O2 sensor circuit (lean exhaust indicated)
45: Bank 1 (left) heated O2 sensor circuit (rich exhaust indicated)
46: PASS-key II circuit
47: Knock sensor circuit or control module missing.
48: Mass air flow (MAF) sensor circuit
50: system voltage low
51: EEPROM programming error
53: Sytem voltage high
55: Fuel lean monitor
58: Transmission fluid temp. (TFT) sensor circuit low (High temperature indicated)
59: Transmission fluid temp. (TFT) sensor circuit high (Low temperature indicated)
63: Bank 2 (right) Heated oxygen sensor(HO2S) circuit (open circuit)
64: Bank 2 (right) Heated oxygen sensor(HO2S) circuit (lean exhaust indicated)
65: Bank 2 (right) Heated oxygen sensor(HO2S) circuit (rich exhaust indicated)
66: A/C pressure refrigerant circuit (open or shorted)
67: A/C pressure refrigerant circuit (pressure sensor or A/C clutch circuit problem)
68: A/C relay circuit (shorted circuit)
69: A/C clutch circuit
70: A/C clutch relay driver circuit
72: vehicle speed sensor loss
73: Pressure control solenoind (PCS) circuit (current error)
74: Traction control system (TCS) circuit low
75: Transmission system voltage low
77: Primary cooling fan relay control circuit (not used with V08 option)
78: Secondary cooling fan relay control circuit
79: Trsnsmission fluid overtemp
81: Transmission 2-3 shift solenoid circuit
82: Transmission 1-2 shift solenoid circuit
84: Transmission 3-2 control solenoid circuit
85: Transmission TCC stuck "ON"
90: Transmission TCC solenoid circuit
95: Change oil lamp circuit
96: low oil lamp circuit
97: VSS output circuit