: Better Gas

WorkinWoodWheel.TX
09-30-08, 04:25 PM
What is that stuff you put into your car to get better gas mileage? Someone was telling me about it but I cant remember. Its like fuel injector fluid or something. you're suppose to pour it into your gas tank every like 5k miles or something like that. Anyone know what im talking about?

jono6406
09-30-08, 04:47 PM
Not trying to be funny but the only way I know is to park it? ( If there was a way don't you think the mfg would use it to avoid the $1300 gas guzzler tax)

Jono

Submariner409
09-30-08, 04:48 PM
Google "techron" and "top tier gasoline".

miked
10-01-08, 01:52 AM
Techron was always the stuff I heard of. But, if you regularly fill up at Chevron, you get it already. Furthermore, GM does not recommend adding any fuel additives.

C&C
10-01-08, 06:39 AM
Chevron's Techron is pretty widely recommended as well as Seafoam; both are superior cleaners for fuel systems. If you aren't running a Toptier gasoline, you may want to add one of these periodically.

mbnv992
10-01-08, 08:44 AM
What's this Octane boost (comes in a plastic bottle) that I keep hearing about ? My father's been using it for years, claims that it boost the MPG, and cleaner fuel ??? Sounds like a bunch of hype to me. When I first got my STS I was using 87 octane fuel (until I started to notice that the car would have a lack of power, and the trans would shutter shifting into second). Then I immediately switched to 92 octane, and she runs like a dream now (with better MPG as well. Now I ALWAYS use Super Unleaded at the pumps.

Hope that helps !

Mike

justgreat
10-01-08, 05:26 PM
if you haven't been using a top tier fuel, especially if you've been using a bargain basement brand, then you probably need the full monty. go to your dealer or a full service auto center and have them give you the "transfusion" treatment. the process has been shown on motorweek. the tech discocnnects your fuel line and hooks up an adaptor andthen runs different cleaners through the top end of the engine. it costs around 150$, but this is the only process i know of that will rid the engine of the deposits that form when using a fuel with less cleansers in the gas. this process will increase your fuel economy...the question is: to the tune of 150$?

also, using premium grade fuel even when the engine is spec'ed for premium grade, can lead to deposits faster than using 87...there are additional chemicals added to the higher grade fuels to meet the higher octane ratings. if the engine isn't driven hard on a regualr basis, those extra chemicals can lead to deposits.

using the over the counter additives won't clean out an engine with heavy deposits....plus, the owner's manual doesn't call for them to be used.

jackg
06 sts6

lreddiablo
10-14-08, 08:52 PM
Best thing for better milage is make sure you have clean fresh oil, a clean fuel filter, clean injectors and clean air filter, also less mashing the gas peddal (never gonna happen for me). I have noticed from several long road trips that octane doesnt really affect my milage but brand does. Also if you go through that damn corn belt they have a higher percentage of ethanol in 89 gas, thats why its cheaper than 87, but ethanol sux balls and you will lose milage with a higher concentrate of ethanol. So as for brands I have noticed the two best, most consistant are Mobile/Exxon and Shell. Everyone says Chevron, but from my presonal experience, I think Chevron is among the worst for milage. several long trips where I have noticed mileage drop around 15-20% on the same road with same driving conditions when I have used Chevron instead of good ole Shell. Hell most of the independants who probably water down their gas give me better mileage than Chevron. Guess they have a good ad campaign, but try it out. Each time you fill up use a diff brand and try to drive under same conditions, you might be surprised!

WorkinWoodWheel.TX
10-17-08, 12:13 PM
yeah i have been pumping shell and chevron. I have noticed that shell gives me better mileage than chevron. Im not too worried about the mileage anymore. I just want good gas in my car and for my car to last a long time and not break down.

lreddiablo
10-22-08, 05:14 PM
Ya, dont want watered down dirty gas, so I tend to stick to the big chains instead of independants, but they are franchizes so who knows if they are all good, just better piece of mind from Shell then Panchos Gas Giveaway. Then there's costco, cheap, but how good of quality? i think maybe Chevron has higher ethanal content? Ethanol is cleaner burning and cleaner for the engine, but causes your mileage to go to sh*t. Shell, Mobile, and some 76 are my preferances, even Valero