: Need Help Burning CD's

Ranger
09-30-08, 03:21 PM
I know there is a LOT of talent here and I need some help. As most of you know I purchased a USB turntable to convert my vinyl collection to CD's so I can use them in the car. I successfully loaded one album to Itunes yesterday and then burned the CD today. I used a Memorex CD-R and burned it at 4X per JimmyH's instructions. The CD plays fine in the house, but when I put it in the car (Bose radio) it says INITIALIZING CD then says CD ERROR and ejects it. I am quite sure that it will play just fine in my daughters non Bose SLS as this has happened before with copies. Originals play just fine and I DO have one copy that a friend made which works fine. I am at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :banghead:

CIWS
09-30-08, 04:14 PM
Is the blank CD media a CD-R or CD+R ?

dkozloski
09-30-08, 05:03 PM
Get the campfire going nice and hot and toss'em in.

Ranger
09-30-08, 05:30 PM
Is the blank CD media a CD-R or CD+R ?
It's CD-R

Get the campfire going nice and hot and toss'em in.
Your usual constructive and helpful comments

eyekandyboats.inc
09-30-08, 06:45 PM
CD-R dont work with my DTS or ETC but works in my CTS.
however CD+R will work in my DTS and ETC.
best of luck ranger. i had the same problems with me. i HATE it.

Ranger
09-30-08, 07:28 PM
That's just great. Maybe the better way to go is put them on an IPOD. I'm starting to look into that option, but am getting mixed reviews on how well they work. I guess I'd have to get one that transmits over an FM freq. since there is no way to plug into the car (that I am aware of). What's the difference between CD-R and CD+R

dkozloski
09-30-08, 09:12 PM
My experience is that the recording of CDs is a black art. Changing almost anything can make the difference between success and failure. What may work for one guy might not work for another. I would suggest trying different brands of blanks and/or different software. The Lord only knows what you might discover.

AMGoff
09-30-08, 09:19 PM
Unless I'm just being horribly ignorant and things have changed... There's no such thing as a "CD+R," while there may be different standards with DVDs, the only recordable CD formats that are still widely used on the market are CD-R and CD-RW.

Ranger... you could try using a different brand of recordable CDs... I remember having trouble with some brands with the CD players in the Sebring, 300M, and the GS - although I don't think I ever tried one in the Seville. You could also double check your burn settings in iTunes, or try burning at a slower speed - 1 or 2x.

As far as the iPods go... I'd definitely recommend one - but be sure to get one with SSD (ie - flash memory) storage such as the iPod Shuffle or Nano. While they have much less storage capacity as the big iPods, they tend to be more resilient since they don't use actual hard drives and have no moving parts to damage.

If your stereo has a tape deck, I'd highly recommend using a good old tape adapter... sure they may use an old-fashioned wire and all, but I still think they offer the best fidelity outside of using an actual auxiliary input jack. If you don't have a tape deck and have to go the wireless route, don't go the cheap route and invest in a decent FM transmitter... Griffin Technologies makes a good one... and I've heard people say good things about certain Belkin models.

Ranger
09-30-08, 09:27 PM
We where just discussing that cassette adapter option. That's sounding more and more like the way to go. I appreciate the input. It's a great help as I am trying to figure this all out. As "Kelly Bundy" used to say, "It makes the mind wobble" :bonkers:

RightTurn
09-30-08, 09:32 PM
:food-snacking:

CIWS
09-30-08, 09:56 PM
Some players don't like certain types of media. Some are finicky and some are not. It can also depend upon the burn settings the burning software is set to when the disk is made. What piece of software are you using to burn the disk ?

Also I have to ask, did you burn the disk as an Audio CD ?

Ranger
09-30-08, 10:46 PM
I'm burning them on Itunes and yes I used audio CD (I think), but I decided it would be better to put them on an Ipod and use the cassette adapter as Adam suggested. I still may burn them for use in the house, but the car question is solved. Won't have to carry 50 or 100 CD's.

AMGoff
09-30-08, 11:37 PM
Now's actually a great time to buy an iPod... they just released the new iPod Nano, so they're blowing out all the "old" ones at half-off. They have Silver 4GB models for $79.99 (was 149.99), but for only $20 more you can get an 8GB (was $199.99) model in either Silver, Blue, Green, Black, or Pink. I'd definitely recommend the 8GB model... as long as you don't have any plans of carrying around more than say... 1500 songs at any one time, there's really no need to get one of the bigger, more expensive models - plus they tend to hold up better over time since as I mentioned, there are no moving parts to get damaged from jostling them around.

Just go to the Apple Store website and go to their Special Deals page located down towards the bottom left-hand side of the page... or you can click here. (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?sf=wHF2F2PHCCCX72KDY&nclm=FD5142C7) They also usually have free shipping on anything you buy from there.

I'd say that's definitely the way to go... so not only can you listen to all of your music in your car without having to swap CDs, but you can plug it into your home stereo, as well as listen to your music everywhere you go!

CIWS
09-30-08, 11:47 PM
I'm burning them on Itunes and yes I used audio CD (I think), but I decided it would be better to put them on an Ipod and use the cassette adapter as Adam suggested. I still may burn them for use in the house, but the car question is solved. Won't have to carry 50 or 100 CD's.

It will work for the playback of the music (Cassette adapter) but you loose audio quality / frequency response going through a cassette head.

I have no experience with Itunes burning software, so I can't speak to it's settings or how it does it's thing. I have yet to own anything Apple produces.

Ranger
09-30-08, 11:49 PM
I was looking at the refurbished 80G classic for $169. Free shipping and 1 yr warranty. Already Emailed the link to the kids along with the one for the Belkin cassette adapter. They're always asking me for Christmas ideas and I never have any. Not much I need or want anymore.

AMGoff
10-01-08, 01:08 AM
I was looking at the refurbished 80G classic for $169. Free shipping and 1 yr warranty. Already Emailed the link to the kids along with the one for the Belkin cassette adapter. They're always asking me for Christmas ideas and I never have any. Not much I need or want anymore.

My only concern with that is that the big iPods like that 80GB classic use an actual hard drive like the one in your computer to store the music and as such it has moving parts. As I'm sure you know, anything with moving parts has an inherent possibility to break. My first iPod suffered from a complete hard drive failure right after its warranty expired (of course!) and I've known several others who experienced the same thing. Ever since, I've only had Nanos and now my iPhone.. all of which use solid state flash memory which is basically just a chip - no moving parts at all... and I haven't had a problem since.

Hard drives are fragile to begin with and I've never thought that its a good idea to use them in portable devices - especially something like a music player which is carried around from place to place or used in moving vehicles... but for the longest time they were significantly cheaper than flash memory which is why they were used.

Unless you have tens of thousands of songs you want to carry around with you everywhere, 80GBs is really overkill. 8GBs will hold anywhere between 1500-2000 songs... or around 24 hours of continuous music. So its more than enough to carry most people's music collections. And while anything can break... the chances of a Nano suffering a catastrophic failure is much, much less than an 80GB Classic, simply due to the technology that's used.

Sometimes bigger isn't always better! I'd just hate to see you put out the extra money and spend all that time converting and copying over all your music to have the damn thing break after you buy it.

AlBundy
10-01-08, 02:11 AM
We where just discussing that cassette adapter option. That's sounding more and more like the way to go. I appreciate the input. It's a great help as I am trying to figure this all out. As "Kelly Bundy" used to say, "It makes the mind wobble" :bonkers:

:tisk:Keep my daughter out of this.:eek::alchi:

Ranger
10-01-08, 12:56 PM
Thanks Adam, I'll take that into consideration. One thing I like about the classic is the larger screen. The old eyes ain't what they used to be you know.