: what were all the 80-92 caddy rare options?

lacroyalty91brougham
09-29-08, 09:23 PM
Hi I'm Sammie im new to this site, i have a 1991 cadillac brougham. i've had the car for awhile, fixing it up here and there, but now im really starting to get serious and was wondering what were all the ''special'' options the dealer or cadillac had to offer on these 80-92 cars? i plan to try to get as many options as i can on my car, guys feel free to post lists and or add pictures do i know what to look for in the junk yards

astro roof
pillow top seats
garage door opener
memory seat control? ( i was told but not sure)
factory cd player
bose speaker system
cup holder
coin holder

anything else??

jayoldschool
09-29-08, 10:13 PM
Well, you should narrow it down to 90-92 since some of the items on your list are from those years only.

The "pillow" seats aren't technically an option (by themselves). They are part of the D'Elegance package. All your other ones are a good bet for rare options. Not sure if the memory seats were still available on the 90-92 cars (someone will know!).

Add a few more to your list:
- factory wire wheels
- Royal Seal tires
- dimming rearview mirror

lacroyalty91brougham
09-30-08, 01:58 AM
Hi Jay thanx for adding to the list. well I'm working on building some what of a Show Car. are there many 80-89 options offered? i have no idea. i'd like to add as many 80-92 options possible. i was also heard of a rear gas door lock? yea i dont know if the 90-92's had the memory seat option, but it'd be nice to have if i can find one. were any of these options on other models of cadillacs or other gm cars? i'll be doing alot of junk yard hunting i ned all the advice i can get ;)

Aron9000
09-30-08, 02:13 AM
Look for the factory wire wheels. Vouge tires or wide whitewalls look great on them.

For 90-92 models, the 5.7 Chevy V8 was optional. It somewhat rare, with more cars having the standard 5.0 V8. With the 5.7 V8 you got a stiffer suspesion(stiffer springs, different shocks, bigger anti-roll bars). IMO the 5.7 V8 cars drive a lot nicer, with more power(something the olds 307, chevy 305, and the 4100 lacked), and they handle a lot better as well.

1990CaddyBrougham
09-30-08, 12:39 PM
I rarely see memory seats in the early 80's. Im 99.9% sure it wasnt avalible in 1990-1992

Delegance is a nice option, but depending on your style, Velour delegance seats are less common for sure. I have them in my 90.

Like jay said, Wire wheels. They are day and night on these cars. Not the hub caps but the true wire wheels, with either the vouges or wide white walls, they can really set the car off.

Astro roof, like you said, thats a good one.

I have heard of a factory Cadillac Radar detector avalible, that slides into the same place as your garage door opener would.

Some color combos are rare, and more desired.

Also in the 1980's they had a Autodimming headlight feature, with a amber lense/eye mounted behind the grille to sense oncomming cars and dim your high beams.

Do all the 5.7 liter 90-92's automatically come with the trailer tow package?

jayoldschool
09-30-08, 01:32 PM
Do all the 5.7 liter 90-92's automatically come with the trailer tow package?

Yes, the L05 5.7 is part of that package.

I have also heard of the radar detector, but I have never even seen a pic of it. Should be able to find it in a manual, though. Check out "the old car manual project" (google) and there are lots of original Cadillac brochures. You'll find pretty much every option available just by looking through those brochures.

Early to mid 80s still got CB radio option. That died when they went to the larger radio. Mudflaps were a dealer option, I believe.

Here's the gas door lock (the black part goes in the trunk):

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z33/skull562/IMG_4146.jpg

orconn
09-30-08, 01:58 PM
Check out Sandy's posts on the Fleetwoods to see an interesting list of options for early '90s Cads.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
09-30-08, 03:22 PM
Check out Sandy's posts on the Fleetwoods to see an interesting list of options for early '90s Cads.

I think Sandy's are all about the FWD ones, which are a whole different story.

Did the 90-92 still have the fuel filler behind the license plate? I thought they would have moved it by then.

jey
09-30-08, 03:37 PM
Did the 90-92 still have the fuel filler behind the license plate? I thought they would have moved it by then.

Even the 93-96 has the fuel filler behind the license plate! I love it!

lacroyalty91brougham
09-30-08, 03:39 PM
thanks guys for the advice, My car has the 5.7, it doesn't have the de elegance package, but does have dark blue velour seats, its a dark dark blue metallic with silver moldings, yes i'll have to find some of those wire wheels. does anyone have anymore pictures of options?

lacroyalty91brougham
09-30-08, 03:40 PM
Even the 93-96 has the fuel filler behind the license plate! I love it!

me too, i have a continental kit on mine, gotta fold it down to put gas in, but i dont mind.

csbuckn
09-30-08, 08:32 PM
Air shocks are a nice option too

Aron9000
09-30-08, 11:14 PM
thanks guys for the advice, My car has the 5.7, it doesn't have the de elegance package, but does have dark blue velour seats, its a dark dark blue metallic with silver moldings, yes i'll have to find some of those wire wheels. does anyone have anymore pictures of options?

I need to get you a picture of my 91 Brougham D'Elegance. Its the same navy blue(almost black) color, with silver rockeres, and the wire wheels.

lacroyalty91brougham
09-30-08, 11:30 PM
I need to get you a picture of my 91 Brougham D'Elegance. Its the same navy blue(almost black) color, with silver rockeres, and the wire wheels.

For Sure i'd like to see a pic of it. when i get more time i'll get some pics of mine also, its in peices right now tho :duh: should be on the road in a while though.

brougham_geezer
09-30-08, 11:34 PM
I might debate that air shocks aka "Level Ride" is a desirable option. I would rather not have it, I think. Nothing but trouble/expense on my '89 Brougham... prefer my '80's lack thereof... but others seem to enjoy it! My boss's '91 Hearse has it and the shocks have blown out. I now hate the sound of the compressor because I drive the car a lot.. and the noise of it is often right there with me.

Check this site to really break down options and years, and to see some pictures straight from the brochures. Awesome site:

http://www.fedrelandsvennen.no/amcar/cadillac.html

The main "rare" options that I always picture in my head, have the most appeal/ability to "make" the car and that I look for when I see one of these cars are:

Factory Wire Wheels
Astroroof
Factory CB

Those are some I'd really like to enjoy having someday. I bought the wheels, but the glasss roof and CB are something I would like to find in a car already. Have never seen the CB in real-life. Have seen the roof on a few cars... more common on Olds 98's it seems. Saw memory seats twice too.

Mainly I always try to spot if a car is an '80 or not (when looking at '80-'89's), and if it has some sort of neat option I could swipe (if it's a parts car). '80s have the drivetrain that I am most drawn to. (368 4bbl big block, THM400 trans etc) and '81's have these too. I don't like their interiors as much, or the fuel injection. I also look to see if the colors are of interest... two-tone interiors in these cars, as well as bright colors inside really interest me. Could always use a few more bright red or white interior trim bits!

My '89 Brougham had the gas door lock. Cool option/useful if you live in a rough area.

I also like a car that has a rear stabilizer bar/heavy duty suspension / rear end.

and by the way...:welcome:!!

lacroyalty91brougham
10-01-08, 01:52 AM
thanks for the welcome Brougham Geezer, thanx for the site i will check it out. i love this site im learning more and more every time i come on here. yes im building a show car, my car has the ride level system in the rear, but i plan on Bagging the car, but i think i'll keep the stock air compresser to sit there unhooked just for show, every little option and detail i think adds to how great these cars are i love my 91.

lacroyalty91brougham
10-02-08, 11:45 PM
Update: Hey guys, i went around to the yards on my day off, and scored me a auto dimming mirror for 10 bucks i hope it works. one yard had a couple fleets with pillows seats. i can get a front and rear for 100 bucks, im thinkin about saving up for that.;)

csbuckn
10-03-08, 01:34 PM
The air shocks I was talking about are the ones with the valve behind the rear bumper that you can air up with an air hose. I dont like the level ride myself and disconnected them on both of my cars. I also got an autodimming rear view mirror but found out my car doesnt have the wiring for it(or I didnt dig enough) so I just put mine up for looks.

lacroyalty91brougham
10-05-08, 03:46 PM
yeah i was wondering if my car had the wiring for the dimming mirror, i guess i'll find out when get ready to install it. i cut the plug from the other car incase it doesn't that the wiring. does any one know if any of these cadillac options were offered on other brands of GM cars?