: installing new deck in 97 deville

mitchjagger
09-29-08, 12:42 AM
HI all!
I want to install a new pioneer deck in my 97 deville. The car currently has the stock (non bose) deck in it. I was told by one of our auto-techs at work that the stock deck may have to stay installed in the car for the aftermarket one to function. Does anyone know if this is true for this car, I would like to install the unit myself if possible.

Thanks

eldorado_97
09-29-08, 07:43 PM
yeah i dont know i just put the radio in my trunk (hooked up of course) with my 97 eldorado thats always an option

mitchjagger
09-29-08, 09:53 PM
I know that might have to be done, but is it required? i dont want to do any unneeded wireing.

eldorado_97
09-30-08, 09:28 AM
try and do some searching i dont have a deville but the way my car is wired is i had onstar as an option in my eldorado but was not installed so there was a harness that was in the trunk that had the class 2 data wire that my radio needed so my radio is hooked up to that and nothing else and then i had all the wires i needed to hook up my aftermarket radio to and i dont have any memory loss problems and i also have my radio running off of RAP the only thing i dont have is the chimes from the car and i think i know how to do that too but it probably would be alot easyer to hook up one of those GMRC03 and i believe there are many other posts about this just do some searching

still_walkin
10-01-08, 08:14 AM
Its a catch 22 some people say they lose the factory chimes the factory alarm or the steering wheel controls but I changed out my radio and its a 86 and I still have the chimes but I don't use the factory alarm. I just spliced into the factory wiring and replaced it with the new hu no problems all chimes work

mitchjagger
10-01-08, 01:37 PM
im not worried about any chimes, and I dont have any alarm (that i am aware of) and i can buy a extra dongle to keep the wheel controlls working. So i should be good then. right?