: Aurora 4.0 V8

oldsmobiletw
09-29-08, 12:28 AM
Ok im new to this site and don't really know if im doing this right. But here goes nothing . I have a 97 Aurora with the 4.0 and i know that it shares a lot in common with its bigger northstar brother. And to say that i have always loved the G-body cars like the STS and Aurora. I have owned nothing but nissans in the past and im done with them . Anyway i was wondering if anybody can help me i a few weeks a go I was cleaning the throttle body on my car so
I bought a can of throttle body cleaner and sprayed the heck out it. the stuff that i wiped away was terrible but i also sprayed into the little holes at the top of the valve and i never really cleaned it. i fired it up and it would not idle just right it liked tro stick at 1000 rpm and it seems to idle rougher and when i was driving the other day it turned on my SES light so i pulled in to get it scanned and the said that it was a idle control system problem or AIC valve. so what im asking do you think that i could of just stirred up some gunk in the little AIC passages? or did i screw something up bad.

CadillacSTS42005
09-29-08, 12:35 AM
you probably have pooled the cleaner in the intake
keep trying to get it to hold an idle and burn/blow it all out

Submariner409
09-29-08, 08:54 AM
Oldsmobiletw, Is it possible for you to pull your own codes from the car's DIC? Is there a DIC function on an Aurora? If there is, I'll bet you don't need someone else to read your stored codes. Get into an Olds Forum and find out, or one of our GM techs will know.

You might try to get some hobby pipe cleaners (fuzzy twisted wire) and more TB cleaner and go back in and scrub out the idle air passages and EGR valve. There's more to TB cleaning than spraying stuff around: it's actually pretty intense work.........the IAC valve should pull out of the TB - take a look and see if it's clogged.

FrankT
09-29-08, 09:09 AM
:yeah::welcome:
In addition, because of the TB cleaning, now there maybe an improper TP sensor offset. Try a TP/Idle learn.

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, with the engine not running.

Wait for 30 seconds.Turn the ignition to the OFF position.

Wait another 30 seconds.
Turn the ignition to the ON position, start the engine, let it idle for a few minutes. If the idle does not return to normal, try cleaning or replacing the IAC Valve.

oldsmobiletw
09-29-08, 03:01 PM
I wish the aurora had the same ability the caddy's have with the code checking but alas no go. But thank you for all your help i'll remove the sensor and clean the little passages. Been trying to get help on the olds forums but no real help there. I know where to go for help in the future thanks again.