: When gas is pushed sometimes car stalls and *CLUNK* it kicks back in?

durrk johnson
09-27-08, 07:39 PM
Yes.... You all have been very helpful to me the last week or so by correcting some of the problems on my 80' CDV... I really appreciate it. I was hoping you guys could help me here aswell....

This has been happening the last week or so...

Ill be driving... Come to a stop...

I press gas, car attempts to go for a split second and then a loud *CLUNK* comes from under the car?

Then it kicks back in and accelerates...

What the heck does this mean? :worship:

carnut
09-28-08, 04:38 PM
Usually means low on trans fluid or the filter is partially plugged in the trans pan. Or a very worn driveshaft U joint.

durrk johnson
09-28-08, 08:47 PM
oh no... not the transmission... shit...

How could i take a look at it>?

(I am very new to cars and am just learning...)

carnut
09-28-08, 09:00 PM
Car fully warmed up and parked on level ground. Remove trans dipstick with car idling in park. Wipe off stick just like you do on an eng.oil dipstick. reinsert and pull out. the fluid needs to be between add and full. Fluid should be a red color and transparent and have a sweet smell to it, if good. If below the add mark, add maybe a pint then recheck, NEVER fill above the full mark! If the fluid is dark red and has a burnt odor to it have it and the filter changed. If the trans is OK, have someone check the driveshaft for excess play.

durrk johnson
10-17-08, 12:19 AM
Okay, my transmission fluid looked okay, it was red. and at the right level...
And the loud *clunk hasnt been happening lately, only once around the last 3 weeks...

But it has been switching into first gear rather roughly

but i figured out that it does this when its switching to first gear I think..(between 20-30mph?... all of the other gears go fine but the first gear its a rough switch and a kick... now my generator light even flashes a quick flash in between that gear switch sometimes... What the heck is wrong?

carnut
10-17-08, 03:25 PM
You must mean shifting out of first to second? a gen. red light coming on quickly might mean the engine RPM is so low at that time the alternator is spinning too slowly? My thought is the trans is ok, but something is affecting engine performance.

durrk johnson
10-18-08, 03:17 AM
YEs, I have no idea... i know something is going on in there. My car was running great for a little while, now something is causing my car to do many strange things, such as the generator light popping on for no apparent reason and shutting off for days, but then popping up to say hello when im driving.

caddeville89
10-22-08, 10:18 PM
My car does something similar. When i pull out of my drive for the first time in the morning, if i haven't let the car warm up, it will lose power for a couple seconds, then pick up slowly. Sometimes, there is a "clunk" involved, but not always. Also, if the gas is low and I go around a sharp right corner, the car will lose power. It won't stall...lights won't dim and I can steer, but the car won't go anywhere. Any hints???

carnut
10-22-08, 10:34 PM
This car was famous for the plastic baffle in the tank to come loose causing fuel starvation. It also tended to develop a hole in the hose that joins the fuel pump to the sender float. To verify, you must remove the fuel tank. With the sender out, you can see the baffle I speak of. Look closely at the rubber hoses that go to the fuel pump for a cut or hole. Low fuel level will expose this faulty hose to air which causes the car to bog down.