: 1975 cadillac door frames

lesinfamous
09-27-08, 04:38 PM
IS anyone annoyed about the fact that cadillacs from '75 along with other years lack door frames? My series 75 does have door frames, but only in the rear. Is there any specific reason for this? What are the advantages/ disadvantages of this design? Has anyone ever made custom door frames for the front and or rear doors on their 70s cadillacs? Does it make for a quieter ride??? thanks in advance

77CDV
09-28-08, 12:02 AM
The door glass is frameless because these cars were originally conceived as true hardtops. Thus, like convertibles, the door glass is sashless. Fabricating door frames would be difficult, as you would have to completely rework the door cutouts to accommodate them. Generally, the sashless door glass on the 1976 and older cars works well, unless the weatherstriping has rotted (water and air leaks) or sometimes at excessive speed the glass will lift away from the weather seal at the forward end. One thing you must never do is close the door using the glass, as this will tend to drive the window off its tracks over time and lead to poor sealing. Close the door using the lower metal body panel only.

Craig

bicentennialcadillac
09-28-08, 03:30 PM
Man, I LOVE the frameless glass. To me, the post-'76 framed windows represent just another cost-cutting move that made the cars less unique.

Aron9000
09-28-08, 09:55 PM
I really like the look of the frameless glass, especially on the coupes. Any coupe with framed door glass just doesn't look right, especially with the door open.

Although I know why they went to framed door glass. It seals better and there is less wind noise.