: Paul Newman Dead At 83

lawfive
09-27-08, 11:41 AM
One of the truly great actors, a humanitarian, a race car driver, and a Hollywood guy who somehow managed to stay married to the same woman for fifty years.

He'll be missed.

Brett
09-27-08, 12:16 PM
good dressing too

Submariner409
09-27-08, 12:40 PM
That he and Joanne Woodward live(d) in Connecticut instead of somewhere else is probably one of many reasons their marriage endured and that he actually seemed like a nice person off the set. He would occasionally do summer stock comedy plays in the old country theatres in central CT and was always a sellout.

As an aside, every cent made off Newman's Own salad dressings goes to various local and national charities.

Time to break out the old VHS movie "The Sting" and chuckle.

AMGoff
09-27-08, 01:44 PM
Wow...

This is truly a great loss not just for Hollywood (or the salad dressing industry), but for the entire nation.

Paul Newman wasn't merely a first class celebrity, but a first class human being and he epitomized the sheer amount of good that can and should be done with one's celebrity. Like the old saying goes... They just don't make them like that anymore. There's a whole lot that the current crop of Hollywood botards could learn from the examples set by Paul Newman.

Rest In Peace Mr. Newman... You will certainly be missed.

Seeing as how the weather's still dreary here in the Mid-Atlantic, I'd say this is a perfect time to break out our copy of Cool Hand Luke.

RightTurn
09-27-08, 02:18 PM
RIP, Mr. Newman. :(

gary88
09-27-08, 04:40 PM
An extraordinary man, may he RIP.

Florian
09-27-08, 04:56 PM
a good man with a good soul...

You will be missed.

F

gdwriter
09-28-08, 12:21 AM
Very sad news. A class act all the way. I thought it was brilliant casting to have him play Doc Hudson in Cars.

I bought a jar of Newman's Own Marinara at the grocery store today in his memory. It's my favorite.

gary88
09-28-08, 12:30 AM
I bought a jar of Newman's Own Marinara at the grocery store today in his memory. It's my favorite.

I bought Ranch :yup:

codewize
09-28-08, 09:27 PM
RIP to a great man.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-28-08, 10:38 PM
RIP to one of the last of the great actors that got their start in the '50s.

PatrickHMS
09-28-08, 11:52 PM
He was the epitome of cool and class, and the classiest part of that was that he didn't even seem to fully realize it.

I used to be involved in SCCA back in the 1970's, spent lots of time around Road Atlanta during the times he drove a Datsun Z-Car for Bob Sharp at that racetrack when he raced there. Even when he was older than most other drivers, he was a really GOOD race car driver.

And a really good guy. Not pretentious at all, just one of the racers, you could talk to him like he was just another guy if you could ever get over being Star-Struck at being that close to "Old Blue Eyes".

One time we had lunch near their home in Conn., and Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward came in and sat at the table next to us. Really nice people, and were the people in that town ever protective of them. Even though the locals all knew very well where they lived, nobody would tell outsiders where it was.

There will never be another one like him.

"Cool Hand Luke" will always be one of my ATF's as far as movies go.

RIP Mr. Newman.

dwight.j.carter
10-01-08, 08:27 PM
He will be greatly missed. I may break out Slap Shot and watch it.