: New family member *PIC*

Rolex
09-26-08, 11:00 PM
Some of you may remember from way back I owned 2 bullmastiffs, and a couple of years ago I put the last one to sleep for health reasons. I swore off being a dog owner for awhile, but my little girl and wife eventually wore me down. So tonight we drove about an hour to get a new pup. We polled family and neighbors and decided to name her Bailey. She's 8 weeks old and probably pushing 20# (a little chunky). Her mom is 115# and her dad is an impressive dog and one of the larger bulmastiffs I've seen at nearly 160#, and he's not fat! She will probably be a pretty big girl.

We'll make our first visit to the doctor Monday for a check up.

The ride home:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/photo-2-4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/photo-14.jpg

blue07cts
09-26-08, 11:11 PM
thats one beautiful dog you've got there, i like that name too, seems to fit :thumbsup:

PatrickHMS
09-26-08, 11:58 PM
thats one beautiful dog you've got there, i like that name too, seems to fit :thumbsup:

Ditto to the above.

One who does not have a dog can ever know how much one that does, can love our dogs. Each one of our dogs is (to us) the coolest man's best friend ever. That is how it should be.

In our family, we had dogs as kids, and at 53, I finally got another, a little male tri-colored Beagle we named Sam.

Sam will be 5 this Thanksgiving, and I cannot even imagine being without him. He travels with us with our work and vacation. Except for Church, maybe going out to eat, his waggly litle tail is always underfoot. All he wants is to be with us, and that makes all well in his world. If he doesn't come with us on vacation, I don't even care to go. Pet Friendly or we stay home.

We travel with our work, and when we finish a day's work, we take time to spend with him walking or playing somewhere, or doing something that he likes to do. Sam is an important member of our family of three, counting him.

Has his own personality, can communicate what he wants, and he obeys me and does what I tell him to, whenever he is good and ready.

Better patience, manners than some people (and family members I know).

When people "lose" a dog, they always swear they will never have another, but usually do, and love him just as much or more, or differently.

Right now, as I type this, Sam is laying across my foot, both Sam and foot are fast asleep.

Hope that everyone out there cares about their pets as much as we do this guy....

Jesda
09-27-08, 12:14 AM
Is that an Acura MDX?

gdwriter
09-27-08, 12:29 AM
What a cutie, Rolex. Hoover says woof!

And I agree completely with Patrick HMS. Hoover (and my cat Pepper) are family -- as well as two of the best friends I could ever ask for. Hoover's such a great road tripper, and I love taking him places whenever and wherever I can.

Hoover adores my 4.5-year-old niece and nephew, and they love him, so I'm sure Lily and Bailey will become fast friends.

Congratulations, and welcome to the family, both yours and the many pet lovers here on CF.

RightTurn
09-27-08, 12:34 AM
Aw, she's a beauty, Rolex. :yup:

illumina
09-27-08, 12:37 AM
I want a Dingo!

Red_October_7000
09-27-08, 01:12 AM
Awesome! I love big dogs, and that one seems to be on the way to being propperly huge. Big dogs are so gentle -they know they could destroy you and don't have to prove anything. We had a Collie (only about 75 lbs -the small end of "big dogs") years ago and he could crack beef shoulder joints in his jaws as easily as you or I crack ice; one day a little girl was petting him and got her whole arm down his throat up to the shoulder. He barely blinked. I wish you the best of luck with your beast.

gdwriter
09-27-08, 02:23 AM
Big dogs are so gentle -they know they could destroy you and don't have to prove anything.That's been true in my experience (I've had two big dogs).

Hoover loves to play tug of war with his rope toy with my little niece and nephew. My brother-in-law noticed that Hoover really dialed back when he was playing with the kids vs. playing tug-of-war with him. I was so proud of Hoover for being so smart and for being so good with them.

When I take him to car shows, lots of kids ask if they can pet my dog. He's always very gentle and happy for the attention. I do warn the kids that they might get a wet, sloppy kiss, though.

93DevilleUSMC
09-27-08, 03:01 AM
Good-looking dog, man! My family is hopefully getting another one soon. We're thinking about a puppy so that we can train this one from the beginning.

hueterm
09-27-08, 12:29 PM
Wow congrats -- she's cute!

Patrick7997
09-27-08, 02:24 PM
Congrats on that dog!!! She looks great!

I lost my little buddy about 3.7 years ago, and I'd love to get another.... my schedule is so effed up right now, my poor doggie would be a hostage, and I just can't do it.... Someday maybe....

orconn
09-27-08, 02:56 PM
What a beautiful new member of your family! By getting another pup you are affirming the love and enjoyment your previous pooch brought to your family. I always consider the bringing of the new dog into the family the ultimate compliment to the dog that could no longer be with us.

slk230mb
09-27-08, 04:21 PM
Congrats. I was almost expecting a new gun :)

Rolex
09-27-08, 05:11 PM
Is that an Acura MDX?

:yup: wife's 2006. eta: You're good. :)

Rolex
09-27-08, 05:12 PM
Congrats. I was almost expecting a new gun :)

Glad to know I'm not predictable. :p

ejguillot
09-27-08, 10:52 PM
Congratulations, she's adorable!