: This is what happens when you don't wear you seatbelt.. even in a land barge.

My_favorite_Brougham
09-26-08, 03:39 PM
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/29769369.html
Watch the video.

Four folks were killed in a Lincoln Towncar, and it looked to be one of the really big ones. That's on the road I travel almost every day, so it's kinda scary. But yeah, just because you have a land yacht, doesn't mean you're completely immune. It looked like a nice car too.

But around here, big Cadillacs and Lincolns aren't considered all that big. The area is dominated my huge Crew Cab duallys and diesel, lifted trucks on steroids. And 10 is considered good gas mileage and 90 is cruising speed.

CIWS
09-26-08, 03:48 PM
Seatbelts FTW !

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-26-08, 03:56 PM
But around here, big Cadillacs and Lincolns aren't considered all that big. The area is dominated my huge Crew Cab duallys and diesel, lifted trucks on steroids. And 10 is considered good gas mileage and 90 is cruising speed.

I want to live in Texas. :drool:

Night Wolf
09-26-08, 04:59 PM
'90-'94 Town Car. Honestly, considering that the Town Car hit an 18-wheeler which spun it around into the Dodge, I'd say it did pretty well, not many cars would hold up much better in something like that. As was mentioned, everyone getting ejected from the car? I really doubt seatbelts were worn, had they have been and I bet the outcome would be a whole lot different.

I don't even feel comfortable in a car unless I am wearing my seat belt.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
09-26-08, 09:55 PM
I don't even feel comfortable in a car unless I am wearing my seat belt.

Me too, but that is simply the way I was brought up. If I am in a car, even if it is sitting still, its just feels awkward to not have a seat belt on.

There is a Honda Accord at a junkyard near me that I have to take a picture of someday. The passenger side B-pillar is literally touching the driver side C-pillar. The entire side is completely caved in and the driver seat is about half the width it should be cause it got squished. The driver may have survived it, but certainly no passengers did.

My_favorite_Brougham
09-27-08, 03:03 AM
If I am in a car, even if it is sitting still, its just feels awkward to not have a seat belt on.

I'm the same way.

On the other hand, my grandmother NEVER wears her seatbelt, EVER. It's really scary, but she just acts like it's not there or not meant to be there. If she rides with me, I always have to go buckle her in.

ewill3rd
09-27-08, 07:47 AM
I have religiously worn seat belts since I was a teenager. I was in a few small wrecks in which they genuinely proved their value and I can't even drive around the block without one on or I feel REALLY uncomfortable.

Not having read the article, the issue with the older bigger "land yachts" is that they are more rigid in a crash.
The energy is transferred to the occupants rather than absorbed by the car.
Some accidents nothing can survive through no matter what you are in.

I have to yell at my mom pretty regularly to wear her belt, she was rear ended by a state trooper without her belt on at about 60 and even though she was okay she was pretty sore for a while.

Night Wolf
09-27-08, 05:31 PM
I have religiously worn seat belts since I was a teenager. I was in a few small wrecks in which they genuinely proved their value and I can't even drive around the block without one on or I feel REALLY uncomfortable.

Not having read the article, the issue with the older bigger "land yachts" is that they are more rigid in a crash.
The energy is transferred to the occupants rather than absorbed by the car.
Some accidents nothing can survive through no matter what you are in.

I have to yell at my mom pretty regularly to wear her belt, she was rear ended by a state trooper without her belt on at about 60 and even though she was okay she was pretty sore for a while.

Read the artical/watch the video.... this isn't one of those cumple zone arguments where people try and disprove a larger, heavier, more well-built car will not hold up as good in an accident...

the Town Car hit an 18-wheeler which spun it around (looked like it was kinda being pushed by it for a bit) which made it hit another car..... the people, including little kids that were in the car got slung out of the car because they were not wearing seat belts. If everyone was wearing a seat belt, it looks like most would have survived, with the worst spot being whoever was sitting in the left rear. Atleast to me it looks like if they were in anything smaller it would have gotten torn in half, or possibly ran down by the 18-wheeler.

My_favorite_Brougham
09-27-08, 07:12 PM
Yeah it's kinda hard to imagine being "ejected" from a car. But I guess people do fly over the seats and go through the windows, and it's not good.

Here in Texas, there's a common misnomer that if you're over 15, you don't have to buckle-in in the backseat. But from the seatbelt-related deaths (seatbelt lacking, I should say) I've heard of, it doesn't matter if you're in the front or back. A 180lb. lump of matter will break a seat from its frame and keep going!

I wish folks would get it out of their heads that it's a law when it's not.

Sandy
09-27-08, 07:31 PM
Yes, we can all get seriously injured or killed even in a "Land Barge" ~ However I do believe that a big & heavy car affords considerably more protection.

Case in point: In 1974 (many of you were not here yet) I was driving about 20 MPH on a side street. A then 18 year old, stole, of all things, a GARBAGE TRUCK ! The cops were on his tail and chasing him. He came flying down a side street, blew thru the STOP sign and "T-Boned" me broadside AT the "B" pillar. Was was doing around 38-40 MPH at impact. I was doing about 20-24 MPH. I was driveing my 1972 Imperial LeBaron, all 4,800 pounds of it. The impact spun me 180 degrees, from the torque, and I ran over a fire hydrant, ripping it outta the ground, causing a flash flood! I walked away, stunned, with a cut & bleeding left elbow.
Imagine if I was in a Chevy Vega ??

ewill3rd
09-27-08, 08:00 PM
I wasn't trying to disprove anything or start a debate, just making some comments.
I am not in a "be in awe of tragedy" mood right now, maybe I'll read it later.
I would reiterate that I always wear a seatbelt.

Red_October_7000
09-28-08, 04:39 AM
I used to be very uncomfortable not wearing a safety belt but driving professionally (Safety belt messed up in the van) and a stint at UPS broke me of that, but that said I still wear one 99% of the time. Just good sense. Back when I drove the Buick I'm sitting at a stop light behind a light blue imported blah-mobile. With my foot on the brake something slams into me so hard my 4,400 pound car is pushed forward into the car in front of it enough to trade some paint. I slam it in park and get out, unhurt, to investigate. The lady in front of me, as imported as her car and mother to about 32,000 kids (none of them secured in any way) looks at her car, at mine, and seeing no damage, gets in and literally peels away. With those kids the last thing she'd want is a cop to give her all 32,000 tickets. I walk around the back expecting to find my trunk all stove in. No such damage is found (Not even cosmetic damage!) so the thought in my mind is "Well, whatever hit me must be finished" as at that point the Buick had developed a bit of a reputation for demolishing whatever it comes in contact with. I turn to find myself looking at another Buick, the older, blocky iteration of the venerable H-body, its driver likewise dumbfounded by its equally pristine condition. I say to him "Well, it looks like there is no damage... let's hear it for Buicks." He replies "No shit man... but I gotta get a new windshield." Sure enough his otherwise undamaged car had a huge spiderweb on the windscreen on the passenger's side, his unbelted buddy having hit it quite hard with his face (that he was now holding in his hands.) I later discovered that the back bumper is mounted on huge hydraulic rams, and that about 6" of said rams were now free of rust from travelling due to the impact. So yeah. Wear your safety belt.

ewill3rd
09-28-08, 10:42 AM
That reminds me of an accident I saw one night, a guy was just driving down the road at about 40 mph.
I don't know if him and the guy in the passenger seat were fighting or if the guy was stoned or what but for some reason unbeknownst to me the dude yanked the wheel to the right as hard as he could and hit a telephone pole head on doing over 30.
As my jaw fell down I saw the passenger's head come through the windshield, hit the cowl, and disappear back inside.
I was taking my sister (a nurse) to work and she yelled at me to stop so she could help until the ambulance arrived.
The driver was completely unharmed but the passenger, who did remain conscious, was bleeding profusely. Had he been wearing a seatbelt (since we are speculating) I am sure he would have fared much better.
I simply refuse to ride in a car without a belt on after seeing what I have seen in my life.