: Help! OnStar --> Remote start

fierodough
09-25-08, 04:33 PM
I'm inquiering specificaly for a 2006 Escalade but I think it can be adapted to any vehicle equipped with On*.

Anyone here an expert with the On* Module? I would like to alter it to transfer the "unclock" trigger to a remote starter module. The idea would be that you can call On* with your pin#, ask to have your door unlocked, and this would instead send a trigger signal to a remote start module and start your car.

This would be awesome for people in parking garrages ect..

Any ideas? wiring diagrams?

Thanks!

Cliff8928
09-26-08, 02:30 AM
Unfortunately that is transmitted over the class 2 data bus. It's not a wire from the VCIM that specifically triggers the unlock, but a message from the VCIM to the BCM.

ewill3rd
09-26-08, 07:31 AM
Agreed, it isn't that simple.
Plus doing a remote start on a vehicle with an anti-theft system is a little trickier than splicing one wire.
Interesting theory, but not practical or possible really.

RustyBlazerDude
09-26-08, 08:17 AM
I'm inquiering specificaly for a 2006 Escalade but I think it can be adapted to any vehicle equipped with On*.

Anyone here an expert with the On* Module? I would like to alter it to transfer the "unclock" trigger to a remote starter module. The idea would be that you can call On* with your pin#, ask to have your door unlocked, and this would instead send a trigger signal to a remote start module and start your car.

This would be awesome for people in parking garrages ect..

Any ideas? wiring diagrams?

Thanks!

If you have a remote starting module that is triggered externally, I could probably do it. My BlueSTAR unit emulates the onstar box, so I know a little something about the class2 data commands. All I need to do is sniff the bus for an unlock command coming from the onstar module and create a signal that goes to your remote starting module. I can probably do it with special code in the HyperSTAR module. (See the link in this forum Onstar=> Bluetooth conversion completed for details)

fierodough
09-26-08, 08:43 AM
that is awesome info! thanks! :bouncy:

Submariner409
09-26-08, 09:51 AM
OnStar will just love to hear of this boondoggle. I can see them getting several hundred unlock orders every morning and evening in the winter months. They would be perfectly within their rights to flag your account and watch the number of bogus unlock requests, then restrict you to, say, 4 a month.

fierodough
09-26-08, 11:44 AM
OnStar will just love to hear of this boondoggle. I can see them getting several hundred unlock orders every morning and evening in the winter months. They would be perfectly within their rights to flag your account and watch the number of bogus unlock requests, then restrict you to, say, 4 a month.

Why is that exactly?? For the price we are paying for On* you are telling me that calling them twice a day, for example, is exagerating?

Maybe it should be up to them to setup an automated system to do this. Call in, VRU answers, enter your account # and pin code and select the unlock option. No operator would be required.

PS: On* is tanking really bad. I had the "pleasure" of trying their navigation feature (apperently, turn by turn navigation is not availlalbe on the 2006 Escalade) and it's nothing more then a rep unloading a bunch of confusing directions to you over the phone. From what I can tell, not many beople are renewing their On* packages. Offering such a sevice as being able to start your truck from anywhere in the world would, on it's own, be a fantastic reason to have On*.

My opinion...

Submariner409
09-26-08, 02:46 PM
I agree with you IF OnStar offered the start service as a phone/digital automatic service. True, not hard to do. Heck, the installed module probably has an unused channel or two as-is. My objection was the tying up of the human operator element with bogus unlock requests.

My subscription is the most basic, the "Safe and Sound" option with a carryover of less than an hour of phone minutes. I have no need whatsoever of navigation or any of the other bells and whistles, even though I drive a lot and frequently venture off the beaten path. Yes, I use the phone feature if I need to make a hands-free call while driving. I carry an old Nokia cell phone and use it less than 10 minutes a month. I am still perfectly capable of starting my car or truck with a key. Unfortunately the automotive aftermarket electronics people don't make a cent off me because I don't subscribe to the old saw "The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys". Obviously, from this Forum, I spend a fair amount of time hunting and pecking about cars and tube stereo gear because there are interesting things to learn and teach. Don't get me wrong: I was a Navigator, among other things, for 24 years in submarines, so the art and science of navigation is not wasted on me. I just have more fun driving than pushing buttons...the GPS and chartplotter on my boat satisfies the pushbutton need.