: Car coasts at 30mph without pressing gas?

durrk johnson
09-25-08, 01:21 PM
When driving I could stay on 30mph basically until I have to stop without pressing the gas...

If I go over 30 mph it just drops back down to about 30 and coasts...

What the heck does this mean? Could my idle be two high?

jayoldschool
09-25-08, 01:29 PM
Yes, idle could be too high. Also possible (and likely): sticky carb linkage. Take off the complete air cleaner top and bottom, and (with the car off) move the linkage through its complete range of motion. See if it returns all the way to closed. Get some good carb cleaner, and give everything a liberal spraydown. Keep working the linkage while spraying to try and free it up if it is gummed up.

Another possibility is if it has an AC idle boost solenoid. That might be sticking out, making the idle high.

Can you get something to measure engine speed?

durrk johnson
09-25-08, 01:56 PM
hmmm really? well Im kinda strapped on cash at the moment so I dont know if I can buy some carb cleaner just yet...

I just tried to get my Clifford alarm working again, took it to a place, and just had to pay 26.36$ for them to tell me I needed a new remote.

How much does carb cleaner cost?

And I wouldnt even know where to begin to measure engine speed...

jayoldschool
09-25-08, 04:21 PM
Well, it is free to look at the linkage :)

Check it out, and try to figure out if it is sticking. Look right down the throat of the carb to see if the blades are staying a little open. Do you have any WD40 or anything like that? That will work, too (just not as well). Carb cleaner is around 5 bucks.

A place like Autozone can likely loan you the tool to hook up to check timing/idle speed:thumbsup:

durrk johnson
09-25-08, 04:50 PM
Well, it is free to look at the linkage :)

Check it out, and try to figure out if it is sticking. Look right down the throat of the carb to see if the blades are staying a little open. Do you have any WD40 or anything like that? That will work, too (just not as well). Carb cleaner is around 5 bucks.

A place like Autozone can likely loan you the tool to hook up to check timing/idle speed:thumbsup:

Hmm, Well what exactly is the linkage?

I took off the cleaner and disconnected the hoses etc. but everything seemed good in there... I touched those two small blades open and they close right back up no problem... It seems pretty clean in there... i didnt really know what to look for... lol