: Fuel rail

thaghost87
09-24-08, 11:10 AM
can someone help me? i have a 2000 sts, i want to replace my plenum. i read that the fuel rail has to be removed to do this job. i have searched and didnt really come up with anything.. can someone tell how to remove the fuel rail the proper way, or point me in the direction of a thread that describes the process.. thank you

tateos
09-24-08, 01:23 PM
If it is the same or similar to a '97:

You need to disconnect the rail from the fuel line(s) - there were 2 my '97 - not sure if there might be only one on 2000+. You need a special tool for that - for occasional use, you can get by with cheap plastic sleeves that slip on the fuel line - I got mine at Autozone for about $10.

I think once you disconnect the fuel lines, you can remove the manifold with the injectors and fuel rail still on.

Submariner409
09-24-08, 01:24 PM
Bleed the fuel rail to zero pressure using the Schrader valve fitting. Unclip and remove the quick connects for the supply and return lines. Remove the 4 nuts holding the rail to the manifold studs. Remove the vacuum line from the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator). Lift the rail and all 8 injectors as a unit. Make sure all 8 injector O-rings come out of the intake manifold. Place the rail and injectors upside down on a clean surface.

thaghost87
09-24-08, 01:49 PM
Bleed the fuel rail to zero pressure using the Schrader valve fitting. Unclip and remove the quick connects for the supply and return lines. Remove the 4 nuts holding the rail to the manifold studs. Remove the vacuum line from the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator). Lift the rail and all 8 injectors as a unit. Make sure all 8 injector O-rings come out of the intake manifold. Place the rail and injectors upside down on a clean surface.

understood just about everything, but where is the Schrader valve fitting located? and how would i bleed it, any special tools needed or just opening the valve? Also what are the quick connects ? sorry for the newbi questions
Thanks for the response, i will post pictures when i do the the plenum, plugs, TB cleaning

Ranger
09-24-08, 02:21 PM
Look for what looks like a tire valve on the rail. I should be near the TB I believe. Bleed it just like letting air out of a tire, except put a rag over it to catch the oz. or so of fuel that will come out.

thaghost87
09-24-08, 03:00 PM
Look for what looks like a tire valve on the rail. I should be near the TB I believe. Bleed it just like letting air out of a tire, except put a rag over it to catch the oz. or so of fuel that will come out.

thank you

thaghost87
09-26-08, 08:02 AM
Is there something special i would need to do to represurize the fuel lines? and from what submariner409 said, will i need a fuel line disconnect?

Ranger
09-26-08, 05:00 PM
No, the fuel pump will repressurize the system when you restart the engine.

Yes, you will have to disconnect the fuel line.

Villanous
09-27-08, 09:54 AM
Wouldnt you want to remove the fuse to the fuel pump and try to start the car to eleviate some of that pressure in the lines before going to the shraeder valve?

If my memmory is correct the sequence would look something like.

1) remove fuse
2) put ignition in start
3) car stalls out
4) further remove pressure with shraeder.
5) remove rails.

And the re-pressurizing would involve putting the key in the accessory position, look for leaks. Cycling the key back and forth a few times without starting the car..

Ranger
09-27-08, 10:49 AM
Wouldnt you want to remove the fuse to the fuel pump and try to start the car to eleviate some of that pressure in the lines before going to the shraeder valve?
That method will work too.

blue_eldo
09-27-08, 01:18 PM
I just replaced the plenum on my 02 deville. I found it easier to seperate the injectors from the fuel rail because of the way the wiring harness was arranged. I was not comfortable with disconnecting the front coil cassette from the harness that was common to the front four injectors. I just left the injectors behind with all the wiring connected. The most time consuming aspect of the job was cleaning the throttle body.
What an improvement with the new plenum. Perfect smooth idle and no codes. I seems to me that the acids from the EGR gases ate up the plenum. I won't complain if I have to do this every 100,000 miles.

thaghost87
09-29-08, 10:05 AM
thanks guys...