: Brake Upgrade Question

BlackedouT STS
09-24-08, 02:36 AM
I have a 2005 STS V8 with the JE5 Package and its time for new brakes. I'm going to get my rotors and pads from rotorpros.com (slotted & drilled/ w black centers), but I don't know what pads to go with. A lot of people on the forum say to go with Hawk HPS pads, but others say its best to stick with the oem pads for the JE5 setup :confused: Any suggestions? I'd prefer a pad that produces less brake dust and I've pretty much become accustomed to the squeaking under braking so it really doesn't bother me anymore.
Thanks

Regulator
09-24-08, 09:19 AM
I'd also like to know what people are using for brake pads. The stock pads throw way too much dust.

blunted
09-24-08, 05:25 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with the Hawk HPS.. these have been tried and true by lots of people. I have no complaints with mine except for a little squeeling during slow speed stops..I think this is more of an issue with the person who installed them though. With that aside, the stopping power is no joke. I got the same combo your thinking about and experience no brake fade and have already seen what they can do on an emergency stop. Also, brake dust is less than stock.. my chrome wheels still look good even days after a wash (all Nyc/Nj stop and go traffic) Make sure you tell the guys at rotorpro's that you have the JE5 package when ordering since it takes a different part number for the pad.

BlackedouT STS
09-25-08, 12:39 AM
OK, thanks for the advice. I'm going to go with the Hawk HPS pads. Can't wait to feel the difference.

blunted
09-25-08, 09:32 AM
Make sure you bed the new pads according to Hawk :

Burnishing Instructions

After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.
Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.
DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.
After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.

If you have to come to a complete stop at some point during the bedding process, don't hold the brakes down after stopping.. throw it in neutral until you can start moving again. You don't want an uneven transfer of the pad material on the rotors.

jono6406
09-25-08, 10:00 AM
If you cahnge your mind about the hawk pads and decide to go OEM here is the rear pad info for the JE5 brakes:
pn# 89047757, $48.64 from GMPARTSDIRECT.COM. The fronts are equally as reasonable .My personal belief is to always go OEM.
Jono