: Spinoff- Waxing the Car

cadillacchromer
06-16-04, 10:20 AM
Any tips on How to Wax My Deville? I just bought my deville and I can tell they waxed it before I got it, but I would love use my own TLC to get that good shine for the summer. I plan on using the NXT wax that was recommended in another thread. What else do I need? Technique Tips?

cadillacchromer
06-16-04, 10:26 AM
Second off Maybe I should just take it to get detailed first and then do it myself the next time

elwesso
06-16-04, 10:32 AM
Youll want to get some applicator pads... They're really good, get a 3 pack while your at it..

Just wash the car off with dawn first to strip off the old wax and then your good to go...

exceldetail
06-16-04, 12:33 PM
To each their own i suppose....I would personally skip the Dawn, i think it does less good, than bad. Its meant to strip oils, imagine what it does to rubber, vinyl, and plastic trim? Any decent polish will remove what previous protection has been applied.....As for product recommendations, well, theres as many products out there as baseball teams in the MBL...
Foam applicator as mentioned for application of products, microfibertowels for removal......

cadillacchromer
06-17-04, 11:08 AM
And I assuming I should do a section at a time. Preferably when the sun is down since I have a carport and not a fully enclosed garage

LeoC2
06-17-04, 05:04 PM
If you really want to learn about car care I would recommend you go to www.autopia.org There you will learn more than you can possibly imagine.

Just keep in mind... when it comes to car care products, you get what you pay for. Don't skimp on polishes or towels to save a few bucks. The damage you can cause to your $40,000+ vehicle far exceeds the savings on the products.

Leo

hcvone
06-18-04, 07:34 AM
Any tips on How to Wax My Deville? I just bought my deville and I can tell they waxed it before I got it, but I would love use my own TLC to get that good shine for the summer. I plan on using the NXT wax that was recommended in another thread. What else do I need? Technique Tips?

If the paint is in good shape and it feels smooth to the touch I would do the following, wash with Dawn, dry and apply your favorite wax, if the paint has any roughness I would again wash with Dawn and then clay your car (I would do this once a year as well) and rewash, then apply your favorite wax. NXT will make your car look good but it does not last, if you want good durability look at Zaino or Klasse. Here is a link from a wax test that is going on now.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/5256389-1.html

cadillacchromer
06-18-04, 09:30 AM
I looked at the test but is your recommendation based of the fact that you are a zaino distributor? Just kidding. What type of kits do you offer? ie...wax, microfiber towels, applicators or just how much do you offer the wax?

If the paint is in good shape and it feels smooth to the touch I would do the following, wash with Dawn, dry and apply your favorite wax, if the paint has any roughness I would again wash with Dawn and then clay your car (I would do this once a year as well) and rewash, then apply your favorite wax. NXT will make your car look good but it does not last, if you want good durability look at Zaino or Klasse. Here is a link from a wax test that is going on now.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/5256389-1.html

hcvone
06-18-04, 03:27 PM
I had 36 detail shops in the 80's and 90's and we were a Meguiar's shop, they make some very good products, but they just have no durability. You can get info on Zaino from www.hcvind.com and www.zainobros.com