: Car is putt, putt, putttering after turn off? And pops and stalls... Whats the deal?

durrk johnson
09-23-08, 04:29 PM
Yeah, This just started happening after i got my car back from the shop...

Ill turn off my car sometimes and my car putt, putt, putters... you know, like bubbling gas or something... And my car also stalls sometimes and youll here a pop under the car, and then it will turn back on real quick...

What the heck does that mean?

Andy opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated! :worship:

eldorado99
09-23-08, 05:02 PM
Ignition timing too far advanced?

durrk johnson
09-23-08, 05:19 PM
I suppossedly just got my ignition coil replaced two weeks ago.... And it never did this... Does it have to do something with that? My acceleration has also gone to shit since then! Its hard to even accelerate on the highway, I used to be able to push the gas pedal down and... WOOOMMM It would take off... Not anymore... My car stalls more than ever. But sometimes, just sometimes, it drives okay...

The dude also said he disconnected something to do with my AC because it was causeing a problem with my car?

It might have something to do with this place that I brought it to. My hubcaps got stolen inside of their lot while it was in their possesion. They didnt cover it of course. They seem to never fix anything. These *******s then told me my car was fixed... Then i took it off the lot and it died repeatedly. This happened the next day aswell. I will never take my car back to them.

What should I do?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
09-23-08, 07:53 PM
It sounds like a carburetor problem. Is the car carbureted? There is a component in the carburetor called an "anti-dieseling" valve. Basically, its stop the car from doing what it is doing, running after the ignition is turned off. If that is bad in the carb, I wouldn't be hard to venture that some other things may not be working as they are supposed to. May be either time for a new one or time for a rebuild.

durrk johnson
09-23-08, 07:55 PM
Yeah there is a carborator, but this just started happening after it came out of the shop...

I dont know about a rebuild... My car has 96000 miles on it...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
09-23-08, 10:36 PM
Take it to a shop you trust and ask them to rebuild it for you. My friend's dad's '69 vette has only 60K on the clock but the carb has been rebuild twice. Its more about age than mileage.

durrk johnson
09-24-08, 10:37 AM
It sounds like a carburetor problem. Is the car carbureted? There is a component in the carburetor called an "anti-dieseling" valve. Basically, its stop the car from doing what it is doing, running after the ignition is turned off. If that is bad in the carb, I wouldn't be hard to venture that some other things may not be working as they are supposed to. May be either time for a new one or time for a rebuild.

Hey I went under the hood and checked out the carborator and apparently the big hose thats located in the back of it was disconnected this whole time!

Do you think that was the problem? :bouncy:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
09-24-08, 10:57 AM
Vacuum hose most likely. Reconnect it and drive it around a little. That might also have done it. Lemme' know how it goes.

durrk johnson
09-24-08, 12:57 PM
Ignition timing too far advanced?

You know what? I just looked in my chilton, and having these people just "replace" my ignition coil and having also messed with my idle I know now it definately has to do with ignition timing.

i found the vacuum hose that they forgot to plug back in behind the carb and now my car is driving wayyy better...

But it still putts when I turn it off sometimes, and thats what it said in my chilton... The ignition timing...

How do I go about this? I wish i knew someone good with cars...

jayoldschool
09-24-08, 01:41 PM
I know someone good with cars... YOU! You have done more work on your car in two days than most people I know. Keep it up, you'll learn fast.

I think all your issues (driveability, HVAC vacuum, idle) are related. Re-connect that "AC thing" the garage disconnected. It's there for a reason. Next, make sure all your vacuum lines are connected, and not cracked. Then, set your timing. Have you done basic tune up stuff? If not: plugs, wires, filters (air, fuel, breather), PCV valve, oil/filter, cap and rotor.

durrk johnson
09-24-08, 03:15 PM
I know someone good with cars... YOU! You have done more work on your car in two days than most people I know. Keep it up, you'll learn fast.

I think all your issues (driveability, HVAC vacuum, idle) are related. Re-connect that "AC thing" the garage disconnected. It's there for a reason. Next, make sure all your vacuum lines are connected, and not cracked. Then, set your timing. Have you done basic tune up stuff? If not: plugs, wires, filters (air, fuel, breather), PCV valve, oil/filter, cap and rotor.

Im actually reatrded when it comes to cars... Im very surprised that Ive fixed my car in the last two days haha.... And thanks alot for the help with the heating wiring.. I cant believe that i took it to 2 different people that said they couldnt fix it.

Im not really sure which "ac thing" they disconnected? They said they disconnected it when they "replaced" my ignition coil... They said either that or I would have to pay to get a new one. I cant remember what it was called exactly...

jayoldschool
09-24-08, 04:39 PM
Can you go by the garage and ask them to show you what they disconnected? I'm thinking AC idle boost solenoid, but it would sure help for them to show you. Did they write it on the invoice?

durrk johnson
09-24-08, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I just called the guy, He told me, "They unhooked the AC compressor because it was locking up"

Im not exactly sure what that means...

I think it means that they unhooked my ac compressor.

Hmm, Well What exactly does the AC Compressor do besides work the AC, and apparently "lock up"

The guy told me to bring it in and that they will take a look at it again...

I told him, I cant take it in right now, because I need to use it for transportation... I cant have it over there being "looked at"...

Especially when my original chrome hubs got stolen in their lot... **** that.

durrk johnson
09-24-08, 05:38 PM
Wow... hmmm, a matter of fact, i just looked up what it does... So I need this thing huh? Jesus they are expensive...

Why would mine be "locking up" and why did they unhook it instead of seeing why it was locking up...

That could also be why hot air is coming thru my floor ducts?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
09-24-08, 11:25 PM
You don't need the AC unless you want to use it. Just leave it be. The clutch inside it that either engages it or disengages the AC Compressor is frozen and so is the compressor itself. Means that if you hook it up it may keep the engine from even turning over. The one on my '88 just froze on me a few months ago and it damn near started on fire, but if yours is disconnected you don't have to worry about that.