: automatic bluetooth?

seanandniksts4
09-23-08, 04:39 PM
i would like to get a rough consensus on bluetooth phones automatically connecting when you start your sts. Mine never does, i have a Nokia N75 smartphone and I have it set in the "always visible" mode but it never connects by itself, i have programmed a key in my phone that has the b.t. connect button on it so i have to press a button on my phone if i want to connect, also i can connect while in motion, but not make calls through the screen, but i just pick up the phone and make the call and then use the sts's speakerphone, is there a solution to my non-connect problem here?

BlackedouT STS
09-24-08, 03:39 AM
My Palm treo 755P connects every time w/o a problem. In order to dial through the screen you have to get a sts lockpick or you can just store commonly dialed numbers with voice commands.

BEVA53
09-24-08, 07:26 AM
I have a Verizon LG VX8300 that connects each and every time I am in the car. I was using my daughter's Blackberry for a while and that also connected flawlessly. The comment about the interface blocking you out so that you can't dial while in motion is similar to the navigation limitation as well. Once in motion they feel for your safety, they are going to lock out things they feel are going to distract you. The only bug that I have found is that the phone does notalways mute when receiving an in coming call. It makes the conversation impossible and you are forced to disconnect and then dial the caller back using your phone since the STS's interface is blocked out while the car is in motion. It has been back to the dealer twice and they aren't able to fix it.

porkfarm
09-24-08, 04:29 PM
You have to save it as the default in the bluetooth setup screen. Once you do that, it will connect every time.

jono6406
09-24-08, 04:53 PM
Porkfarm is correct, I have a Razr and it connects everytime I get inside my ride but your phone must be set as the default.

Jono

seanandniksts4
09-24-08, 08:08 PM
Thank you, set it as default now it works great!

miked
09-25-08, 02:09 AM
We have had problems with two UT Starcom phones. My sales guy said that they have not had any problems with Verizon phones.

ssstealth
09-25-08, 08:03 AM
Motorola Q and Q9 work great.

dgar47
12-31-08, 12:36 PM
I seem to have the opposite problem with my 08 STS and moto razr. it connects anytime i get near the car and wont release. Car in garage, OFF and locked, FOB in House 50' away, have to constantly check phone and manually disconnect to keep from missing calls. keeps reconnecting . dealer can't fix it.
would like to use this feature since I'm used to it in my other vehicles. It seems to act like the FOB when phone gets near car, it will actually unlock the car door.:hmm:It wont let me start the car or anything else but it will let me open the driver door without the FOB.??? any ideas:confused:

loman
12-31-08, 05:12 PM
My Motorola Razr works great .
I find it quite handy,but i seldom use it . Cell phones are quite a distraction
whilst driving.They are actually against the law now, in Toronto , if handheld
while driving. You can usually tell when someone is on a cell by the erratic
behavior of their driving.

ssstealth
12-31-08, 08:54 PM
I have set my Motorola Q9 to play a sound whenever connecting or disconnectig from Bluetooth. I have also had to deal on occasion with the phone hooking up to the car when I am near it but only if it has been less than 10-15 minutes since it (the car) was powered on. I can then either walk away from the car or turn the hands free mode off on the phone menu.

I have actually found this handy as well. My dealer gives free car washes on Saturdays. I drop my car off in service and go inside to BS while it is getting washed. When the car comes back around, my phone does its little sound and that lets me know my car is back within range and ready for me ;)

dgar47
12-31-08, 11:23 PM
Thanks, I'll try that if the razr has that option. I think its strange that it would connect with the car off and locked. If you get a call, you can't answer it, plus I think thats whats killing the batteries in the car(on its 3rd one since first of november when i bought the car.):hmm:

AllWheelEric
01-01-09, 03:26 PM
... It seems to act like the FOB when phone gets near car, it will actually unlock the car door.:hmm:It wont let me start the car or anything else but it will let me open the driver door without the FOB.??? any ideas:confused:

Just an unproven theory... Could there be a second fob on the grassy knoll? For example, while your fob is 50 feet away, is there a spouse's fob or spare fob closer to the car? Does the car exhibit the same behavior in a parking lot?

If it also happens in a parking lot, could there be a spare fob dropped or hidden in the car somewhere?

huntof355
01-02-09, 11:33 PM
The car should only recognize fobs that are programmed for the car. You could do the procedure for erasing all fobs and reinstall fob 1 and 2. Make sure your phone is far away during the procedure. will your phone unlock other sts's also? if not, erasing all fobs may work

OrionRain
01-04-09, 05:04 PM
My '08 always connects automatically. However, it often transmits a noisy signal to whomever I'm talking to. Its clear on my end, but terrible on the other. I usually have to disconnect and hold the phone (defeats the purpose). Three visits to the dealer and they have no clue. Anybody got a suggestion?

jhamil1
01-04-09, 05:39 PM
our '06 STS does not automatically connect to our Apple I Phone. It is set as the default and never connects automatically. Anyone have a solution for an I Phone?

dhemrick
01-06-09, 02:10 PM
our '06 STS does not automatically connect to our Apple I Phone. It is set as the default and never connects automatically. Anyone have a solution for an I Phone?

I had both the first generation and now the second generation 3G iPhone, and both iPhones always have connected up to both our STS's automatically with no problem.

I don't think the issue you are having is specific to iPhones in general.

I would suggest deleting all pairings between the phone and the car, and start from scratch.

One kind of "dumb" question is if you have the phone selected as default for the configuration associated with your particular fob?

I have my iPhone paired to both our cars, but it is only set as the default phone in each car's configuration associated with my fob for that car. If my other half starts the car with his fob, even if I am in the car with my iPhone, it will not automatically connect to my iPhone because for his fob, his Motorola RAZR is set to be the default. Only when I start either car with my fob does my iPhone connect automatically.

dgar47
01-06-09, 05:01 PM
So its normal for an 08 to connect to the phone whenever you get within range even when the car is off and locked and the FOB is no where near it.

dgar47
01-06-09, 05:03 PM
My '08 always connects automatically. However, it often transmits a noisy signal to whomever I'm talking to. Its clear on my end, but terrible on the other. I usually have to disconnect and hold the phone (defeats the purpose). Three visits to the dealer and they have no clue. Anybody got a suggestion?

So its normal for an 08 to connect to the phone whenever you get within range even when the car is off and locked and the FOB is no where near it.

Tmcc-V
01-06-09, 08:28 PM

I don't know if it's normal, but it certainly happens. My blackberry connected the other day with the car in the garage and the phone in the family room.

Also if the car is started with the remote start feature it will will not connect automatically when you get in, unless you were close enough to connect when the remote start was innitiated. The ignition must be cycled or a manual connect is required.

Finally, I had the navigation software update performed per the TSB (search this forum) and people that had complained about poor sound quality on their end now say that is sounds good. Poor sound quality on the receiving end was one of the problems covered in the TSB. As a note when I talk to my wife in her '09 CTS, both of us hands free, it sounds terrible with lots of echo for both of us.

mike sts
04-22-09, 08:54 PM
i am having the same problem happened after the onstar digital upgrade on my 05 have you found a solution?

EChas3
04-25-09, 11:36 PM
The Nav firmware upgrade does help. My Verizon/LG phone connects automatically as the car is designed (when in range). It was ignorant for GM's engineers to have the Bluetooth connect when in range instead of when the car is started, but it is what it is and works reliably and well for many of us.

With the Lockpick, the phone can be easily dialed from the Nav screen. I contend this is safer than using the tiny handheld phone dial-pad. In all cases, a driver needs to exercize caution when using a cell phone. The real danger is when a driver pays more attention to a conversation than the task at hand. This happens with passenger conversation when there's no cell phone, too.

Cell phone legislation isn't going to solve the problem of inattentive drivers. All we need is proper prosecution and real consequences for violators. Unfortunately, punishment has gone out of style at the same time the nanny state has gained favor.

trackbait
05-22-09, 11:11 AM
Now....what would be really cool is to have a voice to text synthesizer so you could "text" back messages without changing lanes 15 times while trying to reply to a text message.

Love and hate the whole txt msg thing sometimes. :bonkers:

Dadollac1
05-22-09, 02:24 PM
Whoever texts while they are driving needs to be hung up by their cahonnas?:bighead:

trackbait
05-22-09, 04:01 PM
Whoever texts while they are driving needs to be hung up by their cahonnas?:bighead:

:histeric: Presume you have not ridden in a car lately with teenagers in or near you :histeric:

EChas3
05-22-09, 10:11 PM
My wife and I have Verizon LG-VX5400's. They connect well. Occasionally, a call might not mute the radio. I think it's due to poor signal strength on the call.

I seem to have the opposite problem with my 08 STS and moto razr. it connects anytime i get near the car and wont release. Car in garage, OFF and locked, FOB in House 50' away, have to constantly check phone and manually disconnect to keep from missing calls. keeps reconnecting . dealer can't fix it.
would like to use this feature since I'm used to it in my other vehicles. It seems to act like the FOB when phone gets near car, it will actually unlock the car door.:hmm:It wont let me start the car or anything else but it will let me open the driver door without the FOB.??? any ideas:confused:

GM's engineers weren't thinking like users when they designed the Bluetooth to connect whenever in range. It should connect when the car is started or Accessory Mode on.

Our LG's don't have an audible alert for Bluetooth. That would be nice.