: 02' DHS overheating!!!!

FRESH77015
09-23-08, 09:00 AM
I have a 02' DHS with 120,000 miles on it. It recently started overheating but only when going above 70MPH the faster you go the more the temp will go!! PLease help me!!!!!!:confused:... When you come to a stop and you slowy take off you can hear the coolant flowing thru the hoses??? Why is it doing that???? oh yeah another thing when the car goes past the one o'clock mark if you pull over and rev the engine a little bit the temp will go back to the 12 o'clock mark..?? Please help me b4 i decide to take my car to a mechanic....=[

misfit6794
09-23-08, 09:27 AM
I'd hate to say headgasket, especially since it was supposedly fixed in 2000, but a failing one usually shows itself on the highway. Check the simple things first, water pump and its belt and pulley, the purge line, and then test the coolant for exhaust gases.

Also check under your glove box, and under the passenger side carpet for any moisture from the heater core, since you can apparently hear coolant flowing. You shouldn't be able to hear any coolant flow from the interior, unless its coming from the heater core, since thats the only part in the interior that has coolant flow.

FRESH77015
09-23-08, 09:38 AM
OMG not the HG'S!! N i checked under the carpet... Yeah there's moister there.. What should i do next??? N about the water pump is it a difficult DIY thing?? Thanks alot for your help!!

Mark C
09-23-08, 01:21 PM
Its air in the system, check your purge line between the water pump and the surge tank, make sure its flowing water with the engine running. A car with a blown HG will not come down in temperature if you pull of the side of the road and idle the engine.

If you have a leaky heater core then thats probably how the air is getting into the system. When the cooling system starts to cool down its drawing air into the system thru the leak in the core and for some reason your not able to purge the air from the system. Good luck changing that.

Submariner409
09-23-08, 02:05 PM
I think Mark C has the idea: air in the system from a leak. Now you have to find out where........:bigroll:

Take a look at the water pump drive belt, the small belt under the cover on the driver's end of the front intake cam. It should be clean and tight. There are a skrillion threads here, in Seville, and Northstar Performance concerning water pump belts and tensioners. Do some homework there. (The water pump is not the problem in this case.)

The heater core has also been discussed at great length, and is a real bear to change due to the extensive disassembly of the center console and dash areas. Pull off the passenger side center console carpeted cover.....just yank it off. Look for moisture oir orange coolant down around the bottom of the plastic airbox and system control door areas.

Did the "check coolant level" display come on ??? When did you last add coolant and why ???

Ranger
09-23-08, 05:45 PM
Yup, I think Mark is dead on. Water pump is easy, but you do need a special water pump socket.

FRESH77015
09-23-08, 06:09 PM
Yeah coolant does flow thru the hose... N i hope its not the headgaskets!! But there is moister under the carpet!!!

FRESH77015
09-23-08, 06:21 PM
I think Mark C has the idea: air in the system from a leak. Now you have to find out where........:bigroll:

Take a look at the water pump drive belt, the small belt under the cover on the driver's end of the front intake cam. It should be clean and tight. There are a skrillion threads here, in Seville, and Northstar Performance concerning water pump belts and tensioners. Do some homework there. (The water pump is not the problem in this case.)

The heater core has also been discussed at great length, and is a real bear to change due to the extensive disassembly of the center console and dash areas. Pull off the passenger side center console carpeted cover.....just yank it off. Look for moisture oir orange coolant down around the bottom of the plastic airbox and system control door areas.

Did the "check coolant level" display come on ??? When did you last add coolant and why ???

Yes the "Check Coolant Level" Does show up everytime i start the car... N i did check under the carpet there is moister there too!!! My hand feels as if is was like oily N it smells like coolant.. So what do you guys recommend?? My last resort!??

Ranger
09-23-08, 06:27 PM
Replace the heater core.

misfit6794
09-23-08, 08:50 PM
Yea, definetly the heater core, do as much research as you can to try and replace it yourself. Otherwise you are in for a big bill from a mechanic. I would avoid letting the car overheat anymore at all costs and keep your coolant level where it should be.

tateos
09-24-08, 02:27 PM
You could try temporarily bypassing the heater core until you are ready to do the job or have it done

Destroyer
09-28-08, 06:27 PM
You could try temporarily bypassing the heater core until you are ready to do the job or have it doneThats what I was going to suggest. Plus if the overheating persists, he'll know that wasn't the main problem.