: 75 power steering issues

75sled
09-22-08, 02:35 PM
Has anyone ever experience a power steering pump going or gone bad. My 75coupe started sqealing on the way to work this morining and the power steering was very erradic. While the car is running the belt is jumping all over the place, but when the engine is off, it seems farily tight. I just replace the belt last January, so I know it is a good belt. But i have never experienced a power steering pump going bad so i am not sure if that is it or it is something else.

cadillac_al
09-22-08, 10:37 PM
power steereing pumps usually whine. If you can see the belt jumping then it isn't tight enough. It sounds like the belt is squealing instead of powering your steering.

jayoldschool
09-23-08, 09:22 AM
I agree with Cadillac_al. The belt needs to be tightened. Actually, it likely needs to be replaced, then tightened. When they squeal, the friction surface gets glazed. Then, no matter how tight you make it, it will still squeal.

75sled
09-23-08, 11:08 AM
Thanks. I'll give that a shot. BTW, is it possible to overtighten and stress a bearing? How do you know how tight is tight enough?

jayoldschool
09-23-08, 12:06 PM
Yes, too tight is bad on the bearings. The FSM actually has a spec on how much deflection the belt is supposed to have in the middle. I just tighten until there is about 1/2" up/down. Close enough, and haven't had problems yet...:thumbsup: