: Nissan cranks GT-R price up to the ridiculous

The Tony Show
09-22-08, 11:58 AM
It's one thing for a Dealer to get greedy and try to leverage "Limited Availability" into some extra profit, but the factory?? Nissan just announced an almost $8,000 price increase on the GT-R. :eek:

Story here (http://www.themotorreport.com.au/7527/r35-gt-r-price-increase-nissan-blames-cost-of-raw-materials/)

Nissan blames the cost of raw materials (yeah...:bigroll:), which have gone up for all Automakers, but companies like Cadillac have only raised prices between $700 and $1,500 to compensate.

My inner tinfoil-hatter suspects that they sold the first few at a loss in order to win tons of magazine comparos based on the "Bang for the Buck" factor, and are now cranking the price up to more profitable levels. I guess $80,000 is still somewhat of a "deal" for a car this fast, but it's now playing close to the price territory of much nicer cars like the Ms and MAGs (and even more expensive than a 2009 CTS-V)- cars with a real back seat, nicer rides and tons more luxury and amenities.

Will another $8,000 cause a lot of people waiting for a GT-R to suddenly consider the (now) comparably priced cars from other makers? I guess we'll see.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-22-08, 12:06 PM
Maybe they just cranked up pricing because demand is so insane? Call me naive, but that's the way I see it...but your idea makes sense too Tony.

Also, I don't really think that anyone is gonna cross shop a GT-R and a CTS-V, or an M3 (well maybe the coupe), or the RS4 or C63 AMG, etc etc. The GT-R is more like a modern day NSX....pretty exclusive and hard to compare. Like the GT-R, the NSX's closest competitors when it came to performance were Porsches, Corvettes and Ferraris, but like the NSX, it's a bargain when compared to all (except the Corvette), and like I'd assume what happened in 1991..the NSX was given a hard time because people thought that it wouldn't have the panache or history to compete with the European or American offerings.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I respect the GT-R, and I would not mind owning one...not that I ever could, but I wouldn't kick one out of my garage.

AMGoff
09-22-08, 12:36 PM
Pass... I'd rather pay for a Vietnamese lady-boy to spit in my eye than give Nissan that much money for a car.

The Tony Show
09-22-08, 12:39 PM
I'm well aware of the fact that they're jacking the price up because of the popularity- it's just another lie from Nissan about the GT-R (first the horsepower, then the 5 different ECU flashes, and now this).

I don't think anyone in their right mind would cross shop the GT-R with the cars you mention, but apparently we're in the minority. Every conversation on the Internet in the last 6 months that involves ANY high hp car, no matter how many doors or how luxurious, some asshat chimes in with a smug comment about how you can get a GT-R and get comparable speed for less. I think it's ridiculous to compare it to luxury cars like the AMG or V, but since everyone seems to do it, I thought this was relevant.

It's these annoying comments that make the sudden $8,000 price increase amusing to me. The "value" proposition of the GT-R was always its biggest attraction, which is now becoming less of a factor.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-22-08, 12:42 PM
This is gonna be another great thread, I can feel it now. The easiest way to get a great thread started on CF is to mention either GM or GT-R in the thread title. :)

The Tony Show
09-22-08, 12:50 PM
Pass... I'd rather pay for a Vietnamese lady-boy to spit in my eye than give Nissan that much money for a car.

:lol:

Jesda
09-22-08, 12:53 PM

I'm Thai. Cash only!

gary88
09-22-08, 01:48 PM
The GT-R is a car for a niche market. Nobody else knew what the heck an R32, R33, or R34 was. Those who did were pissed why we never got them in the states, and are now ecstatic over the R35. $8000 won't really matter to those who are looking to buy one IMO.

parexa
09-22-08, 02:15 PM
Monkey business. Then again its quite impressive car even at 80k and it will have tons of aftermarket support, what else could you ask. Oh and the Wald bodykit actually looks very nice.

ejguillot
09-22-08, 02:50 PM
I'm Thai. Cash only!

LOL! :duck:

vperl
09-22-08, 03:44 PM
It's one thing for a Dealer to get greedy and try to leverage "Limited Availability" into some extra profit, but the factory?? Nissan just announced an almost $8,000 price increase on the GT-R. :eek:

Story here (http://www.themotorreport.com.au/7527/r35-gt-r-price-increase-nissan-blames-cost-of-raw-materials/)

Nissan blames the cost of raw materials (yeah...:bigroll:), which have gone up for all Automakers, but companies like Cadillac have only raised prices between $700 and $1,500 to compensate.

My inner tinfoil-hatter suspects that they sold the first few at a loss in order to win tons of magazine comparos based on the "Bang for the Buck" factor, and are now cranking the price up to more profitable levels. I guess $80,000 is still somewhat of a "deal" for a car this fast, but it's now playing close to the price territory of much nicer cars like the Ms and MAGs (and even more expensive than a 2009 CTS-V)- cars with a real back seat, nicer rides and tons more luxury and amenities.

Will another $8,000 cause a lot of people waiting for a GT-R to suddenly consider the (now) comparably priced cars from other makers? I guess we'll see.

Got notfrom my local Nissan dealer the the "FACTORY " had set the price on a GT-R at over $103K I had a hard time from calling them a word That I do not use very often.. liar

but I am sure that the "factory: really did that or the e-mail was a mistake...

Greed is there

I suspect that if GM gets greedy and prices the CTS-V much higher than low 60K... they will see the lots fill up..... unless they do the same thing and go low, then raise the price mid year.... a bundle.

Niossan did it, and most dealers were already selling the car thousand, and many thousands of $ above sticker... Look at e-Bay if no one believes, ....

many went unsold..check it out..

Rolex
09-22-08, 03:46 PM
My BIL's dealership just got their first one in last week. It's stickered at $75k. I believe for the money I'd rather have a Z06. He got to take it for a ride and said from 30 mph they punched it and pulled right at 1G. That will sit you back into your seat!

vperl
09-22-08, 03:59 PM
My BIL's dealership just got their first one in last week. It's stickered at $75k. I believe for the money I'd rather have a Z06. He got to take it for a ride and said from 30 mph they punched it and pulled right at 1G. That will sit you back into your seat!

Call the Nissan dealership in Gladstone, OR on Mcloughlin Blvd ( Hwy 99)
They claim they have it stickered at above (103K) I told them that I had moved on to look for other cars...

The Tony Show
09-22-08, 04:17 PM
This thread has nothing to do with Dealer markups- please re-read the original post. I'm discussing Nissan Corporate raising the MSRP on the car by $8,000 since it was launched.

Playdrv4me
09-22-08, 04:20 PM
The laws of supply and demand at work... Isn't it wonderful how capitalism works!

If anything this just eats into the profit margin of the greedy ass dealers asking 103k as above. Rarely did an end user see 75k anyway.

The Tony Show
09-22-08, 04:29 PM
Several dealers have them sitting around gathering dust- the people who paid over MSRP are dumb or impatient. If Nissan wasn't smart enough to anticipate a rise in material costs as well as every other Manufacturer then it smacks of incompetence, but that's not the case since there hasn't been a $5,000 markup on their Maximas now, has there?

This is overconfidence brought on by all the slobbering magazine reviews, plain and simple. The Internet buzz got them pumped into thinking they were selling the car too cheap and that people would buy at any price, but the reality is that there's still plenty of them out there at the old MSRP. Lord knows how few will sell with another $8,000 tacked on there.

Playdrv4me
09-22-08, 04:37 PM
It would not surprise me if they absorbed the materials cost increases of the rest of the line-up in this one single car with that kind of mark-up. A wise move if they can move them, which based on the waiting lists I saw, won't be a problem.

And if they don't sell? That's what's so awesome about the laws of supply and demand... They work in both directions! I don't see what you are getting so worked up about. It's obvious you have no plans to ever buy one so why bother complaining about it?

Playdrv4me
09-22-08, 04:59 PM
By the way, if anything I see this as a win-win for Cadillac. If the car is truly as overpriced and overhyped as you say it is (and I still think its a relative bargain even at 85k), then this will only serve to steer even MORE traffic to the CTS-V.

urbanski
09-22-08, 05:01 PM
:gtr:

The Tony Show
09-22-08, 05:18 PM
It would not surprise me if they absorbed the materials cost increases of the rest of the line-up in this one single car with that kind of mark-up. A wise move if they can move them, which based on the waiting lists I saw, won't be a problem.

And if they don't sell? That's what's so awesome about the laws of supply and demand... They work in both directions! I don't see what you are getting so worked up about. It's obvious you have no plans to ever buy one so why bother complaining about it?

I'm not worked up at all- I just think it's an amusing latest chapter in what has become quite the saga surrounding a car. I'm a fan of balance in all things, and since 90% of the people on Internet forums are leghumping the GT-R until they chafe, I enjoy posting amusing anecdotes like this one that bring them back down to reality.

-Everyone was trumpeting the marvels of the AWD system that allowed a car with 480hp at the flywheel to turn ridiculous numbers, but then the test cars weren't putting up the promised 0-60 times. Some are, some aren't- speculation of ringers runs rampant.

-Nissan claims there are multiple PCM flashes running around, and decide on one that makes the car put out the promised acceleration numbers. It now becomes apparent that the AWD isn't performing any magic because the car is actually putting out about 480 at the wheels- Internet fanboy behavior continues unabated, and magazines continue to praise the performance/value ratio.

-The car finally hits the ground, and quite a few people caught up in the Internet hype pay anywhere from $10k to $30k over sticker to get one, all the while a Dealer in the next town over is sitting on two of them.

-This latest chapter of Nissan making an unprecedented 11% price increase within 60 days of the product launch is just another oddity in the GT-R legacy.

The story of the GT-R is a strange one, and I enjoy all the twists and turns.

Rolex
09-22-08, 08:03 PM
I got the details from the BIL (off topic re retailer mark up)

We have had several prospects but no buyers yet, we got our second one in today (it's silver in color), so now we have two of them. The sticker says $73,000 but I think they are selling them for around $95,000 and the deal is that Nissan will only let you finance half, so if you don't have roughly $48,000 up front, no deal............crazy, but I am sure their are a few people out who have that kind of cash.

ryannel2003
09-22-08, 09:12 PM
I would never pay that for a Nissan. However, I represent minority and I'm sure you have GT-R fanboys who would gladly pay the $8k sticker increase. That's idiotic in my opinion by Nissan North America and the customer who pays it. Two years from now I'm sure you could get one for about $60k with 10k miles.

Aron9000
09-23-08, 05:52 AM
I think that the demographic of people that buy 60-100k cars really don't give a damn about a 8k markup. If they like car A better than car B, they'll buy car A, even if it costs 10-20k more. If you've got that type of $$$, it really doesn't matter, unlike your average joe who can afford a 25k car, but not a 35k car.

Blackout
09-23-08, 01:34 PM
I'm not worked up at all- I just think it's an amusing latest chapter in what has become quite the saga surrounding a car. I'm a fan of balance in all things, and since 90% of the people on Internet forums are leghumping the GT-R until they chafe, I enjoy posting amusing anecdotes like this one that bring them back down to reality.

-Everyone was trumpeting the marvels of the AWD system that allowed a car with 480hp at the flywheel to turn ridiculous numbers, but then the test cars weren't putting up the promised 0-60 times. Some are, some aren't- speculation of ringers runs rampant.

-Nissan claims there are multiple PCM flashes running around, and decide on one that makes the car put out the promised acceleration numbers. It now becomes apparent that the AWD isn't performing any magic because the car is actually putting out about 480 at the wheels- Internet fanboy behavior continues unabated, and magazines continue to praise the performance/value ratio.

-The car finally hits the ground, and quite a few people caught up in the Internet hype pay anywhere from $10k to $30k over sticker to get one, all the while a Dealer in the next town over is sitting on two of them.

-This latest chapter of Nissan making an unprecedented 11% price increase within 60 days of the product launch is just another oddity in the GT-R legacy.

The story of the GT-R is a strange one, and I enjoy all the twists and turns.
It's quite apparent that you have a hard on for trying to find anything and everything that deflates the GT-R so that you can sit up on your perch and say how dumb they are, and whatever else you can think of. You act as if paying a premium for a car is this totally new concept that Nissan has come up with and only the GT-R has ever done this. Remember when the GT500 came out? People were paying $40k markup's for the cars. The local ford dealership when the Ford GT came out were selling them for over $100k over MSRP. A car is worth whatever someone will pay for it. I'm sure when the ZR-1 comes out there will be HUGE markups, I'm sure when the CTS-V comes out there will be markups as well. But this thread is nothing more then a whine fest from you:crybaby:

urbanski
09-23-08, 01:40 PM
well if TTS can bash :gtr:s enough to devalue them, he'll buy one. thats his sekrat plan :hide:

The Tony Show
09-23-08, 01:59 PM
It's quite apparent that you have a hard on for trying to find anything and everything that deflates the GT-R so that you can sit up on your perch and say how dumb they are, and whatever else you can think of. You act as if paying a premium for a car is this totally new concept that Nissan has come up with and only the GT-R has ever done this. Remember when the GT500 came out? People were paying $40k markup's for the cars. The local ford dealership when the Ford GT came out were selling them for over $100k over MSRP. A car is worth whatever someone will pay for it. I'm sure when the ZR-1 comes out there will be HUGE markups, I'm sure when the CTS-V comes out there will be markups as well. But this thread is nothing more then a whine fest from you:crybaby:

Are you illiterate or just dumb? I've stated twice now, in very plain English, that this thread is discussing the MANUFACTURER'S MSRP being increased by $8,000 within 60 days of the car's debut, NOT Dealer markups through "additional profit" stickers.

I'm well aware of the fact that hot cars like the GT and ZR-1 get marked up by Dealers, but I can not recall another time that a Manufacturer raised the price of a car by such a substantial amount not only in the middle of a model year, but so soon after the car launched as well. Price increases from year to year to cover material increases are normal, but they usually happen with the introduction of a new model year, and normally only raise the price between $500 and $1,500.

Nissan's raising of the price by 11% so quickly is one of three things:

1- Horrific incompetence in noticing rising material costs (doubtful)

2- A "Bait and switch" tactic to get people excited about the car based partially on the low price, then raise it after they're drooling for it (more likely)

3- An attempt to pocket some of the profit that Dealers are currently making with their "limited availability" stickers (most likely)

This price increase is amusing AND relevant because Nissan made headlines (http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/21/nissan-cant-prevent-gt-r-markups-at-dealer-level/) by trying to find some way to legally prevent Dealers from price gouging on the GT-R, and yet now they're doing it themselves.

Oh, the iron knee.