: Xbox 360 fanboys....

Night Wolf
09-22-08, 01:07 AM
I really don't know much about the Xbox.... but I've got the chance to get a used 360 with several games, 4 controllers, headset and the dance pad thing for $200.... It's a 20gb version, however it is the older model without the HDMI output, while that alone isn't a big deal, I was reading that those are the ones that are prone to breaking with the red ring of death.... any more info on this? Should I just forget about the deal? I read Microsoft extended the warantee 3yrs with that problem, but I don't think that would work with a used private sale.

yey or nay? In all honesty, I'd rather have a PS3, but seeing as how I am not really into video games any more, have a old worn out TV and better things to spend money on, I wasn't going to plan on getting any of the new systens for a while... but it just seemed like a decent price.

gary88
09-22-08, 01:28 AM
Sounds like a deal for $200. I like to play 360 when I need a break from schoolwork.

As far as the red ring of death, it can be hit or miss. If it's a really early unit, chances are you'll get it eventually. Fortunately Microsoft has EXCELLENT customer service pertaining to this. If you need to send it in for repairs, they'll overnight you a shipping box with a pre-paid label and have it sent back usually within a week or two. My first 360 got it about a year ago, but I have the Best Buy replacement plan, so I walked in with a broken 360 and out with a brand new (HDMI) version in 20 minutes.

You're really missing out on a lot though if you don't use a high-def TV. If you have a decent computer monitor though, you can hook it up to that through a VGA cable.

Spittin Game
09-22-08, 05:19 AM
HALO...end of story.

Blackout
09-22-08, 03:42 PM
I'd see if you could buy the HDD from his xbox and then go out and buy a new arcade bundle. My 20 GB died on me for a second time so I did exactly that and now it is soooo much nicer with the HDMI port on it because with the HDMI cable it upconverts your DVD's to near HD quality. You can get a new arcade bundle for $199

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
09-22-08, 11:44 PM
I say go for it. I got the red ring of death on mine. I registered online and they sent me a box to ship it to Texas. A week and a half later I had a brand new Xbox, no questions asked. Make sure you get Xbox Live though, its amazing.

gary88
09-22-08, 11:46 PM
Call of Duty 4...end of story.

I fixed that for 'ya

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
09-23-08, 12:15 PM
I fixed that for 'ya

Gary, you play COD4 much? My gamertag is Saber2580, add me as a friend.

gary88
09-23-08, 02:22 PM
Gary, you play COD4 much? My gamertag is Saber2580, add me as a friend.

Level thirty something on my second prestige. I don't have live set up in my dorm yet, but I'll send a request your way when I get it set up.

Mark0101
09-23-08, 02:59 PM
I am PS3 guy but for $200 go for it even if it isn't under warrenty But I would really get the one with the HDMI. It can make a BIG difference but if you don't have an HDTV or don't plan on buying an HDTV, don't care about the HDMI and go for it. BTW If I had a 360 with the RROD, there are plenty of video's showing how you can fix that. Its pretty simple, just search on youtube.

Spittin Game
09-23-08, 03:38 PM
I fixed that for 'ya

Just like every other game, its popular for a minute, after that everyone always comes back to the king...aka...HALO.

dkozloski
09-23-08, 05:10 PM
Pong!

Night Wolf
09-23-08, 06:12 PM
ah well, I waited too long to ask the question and then by the time i got back to the seller, it was sold. Even if it was a good deal, which it seemed to be, the money is better spent elsewhere. Maybe someday I'll get a PS3 when I get a new TV, as it is now I don't even use my TV except for the occasional PS2 game.... got so tired of paying for cable TV service that I never watched so I canceled it, house came with a TV antenna on the roof, it picks up about 4 decent channels... and I don't even watch them.