: Repair head gasket Or buy remanufactured eng

GM4life13
09-19-08, 06:04 PM
I was told that replacing the head gasket in my 2000 STS would be around $3000-3500. It is the N* and has served it's purpose for 168,000 miles. I have seen the re manufactured engines online sell for about $3000-$4000. Those come with 2 or 3 year warranties. To me the answer seems to be a simple one. The body and frame of the car are both in very good shape. how much do you think it would cost to have a crate motor installed. And can anyone think of things that I'm not thinking about (cons) to this idea?

Thank

GeneralMotors4LIFE13

orconn
09-19-08, 06:22 PM
I was told that replacing the head gasket in my 2000 STS would be around $3000-3500. It is the N* and has served it's purpose for 168,000 miles. I have seen the re manufactured engines online sell for about $3000-$4000. Those come with 2 or 3 year warranties. To me the answer seems to be a simple one. The body and frame of the car are both in very good shape. how much do you think it would cost to have a crate motor installed. And can anyone think of things that I'm not thinking about (cons) to this idea?

Thank

GeneralMotors4LIFE13

What would one of the new GM crate N* engines cost?

Ranger
09-19-08, 06:50 PM
Seems to me that I heard someone once mention $1000 - $1500 for installation.

GM4life13
09-19-08, 07:07 PM
The crate engines go from $3500-4000.

Submariner409
09-19-08, 07:33 PM
Same thread as just below here.......

GM4life13
09-21-08, 07:26 PM
I looking for ideas on engine swaps or from others years engines would fit in the 2000 STS. I can't understand why I would pay a mechanic $4000-5000 for repairing a head gasket when I can get a re-manufactured engine with a 5 year warranty crated to me and installed for the same price. But can someone please help me decide what engine I would be able to put in her.

zonie77
09-22-08, 02:43 PM
I looking for ideas on engine swaps or from others years engines would fit in the 2000 STS. I can't understand why I would pay a mechanic $4000-5000 for repairing a head gasket when I can get a re-manufactured engine with a 5 year warranty crated to me and installed for the same price. But can someone please help me decide what engine I would be able to put in her.

You don't have to pay that much. Many people paid in the $2500 range...which is quite a bit different than $5000.

Northstars go 250K easily. Yours is not worn out.

You can put a 2000 and up Northstar in yours. Anything else is BIG bucks.

mtgldr
09-22-08, 04:14 PM
INFO ON GM REPLACEMENT ENGINES CAN BE FOUND HERE: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/122168-gm-now-offers-premium-remanufactured-4-a.html

Great info from AJxtcman.

Page 6 lists price & part numbers.

Also found 2 sources that sell reman motors, I'm sure there are more.

Promar Engine - Promarengine.com $3,599 delivered, 3 Yr unlimited mile warranty

Roadmaster - Rebuilt-auto-truck-engines.com $3250 plus delivery, 3 Yr 100K mile warranty. ($250 to GA)

Promar says they timesert all of their engines, rebuild the heads (reuse valves & springs), reuse crank, rods & block. Everything else is new, pistons, cams, etc... Also comes with a full gasket set to put the motor in the car and mount all accessories. They have been doing this for 3 years and said they have had no returns.

Rebuilt says they do not use timeserts in the block, I asked what they do to prevent HG failure and was told they only use "good" blocks without any damage to the threads. They reuse the block, crank, rods & heads (valvetrain is new), everything else is new, pistons, cams etc...

Anyone have any experience with these or other N* reman companies?

MisterBlue
09-22-08, 10:26 PM
There's just no way I'd put 4 or 5 grand into a 9 year-old car with that many miles on it. Sure, you can replace the engine, but everything else in it is still 9 years old, and that's getting near the end of the service life of too many parts; A/C compressors, transmission, suspension parts, radiators, blower and wiper motors, etc..

mtgldr
09-23-08, 12:26 AM
There's just no way I'd put 4 or 5 grand into a 9 year-old car with that many miles on it. Sure, you can replace the engine, but everything else in it is still 9 years old, and that's getting near the end of the service life of too many parts; A/C compressors, transmission, suspension parts, radiators, blower and wiper motors, etc..

I understand where you coming from but I've had my Concours for 5 years. 2 years it was under the GM 100K warranty. Everythings except the trans has already been replaced so other than bushings, most items on the car are only 3-4 years old.

On one hand it's a good bit of money but if you know the car and know everything else is solid, $3,600 for a N* without HG issues and another 5+ years of worry free driving beats any other used car that could be bought for $3,600. Even if the trans needed to be replaced in a year or two, I'd still only have @ $5,600 in one heck of a haul A%% car that still get 24 mpg....

Submariner409
09-23-08, 10:08 AM
The OP has a 2000 STS. If it is clean and generally in good to mint condition other than an engine problem, it is a long way from being in the throwaway mentality group. Maybe a Neon, but certainly not an STS. Put a new or Timeserted 2000 Northstar in it and be done. The thing will last at least 150,000 miles with normal maintenance, and it's still a good-looking fast sports sedan.