: Can dex-cool replace green anti-f?

Quadrasteer
06-15-04, 08:56 PM
Can you put Dex-cool in place of green anti-f? I did in my snowmobile, hope it's OK.

El Dobro
06-15-04, 11:07 PM
If you do a search, you'll find all kinds of threads on the compatability of the two antifreezes.

elwesso
06-15-04, 11:46 PM
Heres the deal: They are OK but they CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT (triple threat) be mixed!

If you want to switch to orange, you gotta make sure ALL the green stuff gets out and then your safe to add the orange.

Aurora By Olds
06-15-04, 11:56 PM
Why cant they be mixed? The way i understand it, is they are both coolant, nothing different, other than the corrosion inhibiting capabilities....correct me if im wrong.
Furthermore, there is no point in switching to Dex after the system has been infected with the green. Bbob has gone through this in detail many times. Do a few searches.
On my '95, I switched to Dex after I did the headgaskets, only because those, and every other gasket affiliated with coolant had severe signs of corrosion. So for the gasket's sake only, I went to Dex. Nothing else will benefit from the swap.
And make sure youre refilling with 50/50 mix, and using distilled water.

elwesso
06-16-04, 12:19 AM
The corrosion inhibitors are different (obviously) and they can cause the coolant to gel, bad news... At least thats always what Ive been told and known... I ahve no way of knwoing

But I agree, I wouldnt swap either. Just do your yearly radiator drain/refill and youll be just fine..... 20 mins of effort once a year is nothing...

S10xGN
06-16-04, 02:22 PM
After having owned a '96 Impala SS since new (comes with Dexcool) and never having had any heat after the heater core plugged up with crud, I'd NEVER recommend switching over from the green coolant. In fact, after having to flush our cooling system twice, we switched over to green and never looked back. Most peeps on the Impala board have made the switch too.

Quadrasteer
06-16-04, 09:38 PM
I did a search and the sites I went to said that they are compatable. There's too many opinions, as usual, to be able to answer the question. Some say the Dex Cool is the greatest thing since sliced bread and others say it can kill your engine. You have to take all the info into account plus your own knowledge and experience and make a semi educated choice. It's getting hard to get a definitive answer about anything, time will tell!

Aurora By Olds
06-16-04, 09:41 PM
Well if it makes any difference, I've heard that the gelling of dex is caused by leaks. But I've heard many different opinions as well.

97Deville
06-17-04, 03:33 AM
Can you put Dex-cool in place of green anti-f? I did in my snowmobile, hope it's OK.
What brand is your snowmobile? What does the manufacture recommend?

BTW, IT's June, are you running open water :D on your sled?

Chris
95 V-max 600

Geno Castellano
06-17-04, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't switch a sled over to DexCool personally. There are some aluminum alloys used in heat exchangers that are not compatible with DexCool. Ford discovered this when they did DexCool testing back in the early 90's. If the sled was originally spec'd for silicated coolant I would keep that in it.

There's really no advantage to switching to DexCool as has been discussed. Once the system is filled and run with the green silicated coolants the long life feature of the DexCool will be neutered by the silicates contaminating the system from the green stuff.

Either the green silicated coolant or the DexCool will provide equal, excellent corrosion protection. There is really no advantage either way in terms of corrosion protection. Just the DexCool corrosion protection lasts much longer and it doesn't need to be changed as often to refresh the system. But, if this long life corrosion protection is neutered by the silicate contamination from the green stuff it is not there anymore and the DexCool advantage has disappeared.

The conventional green stuff and the DexCool are both ethylene-glycol based so they are completely compatible. Mixing them will not cause green jello in your system. It is not recommended to mix them, however, as high concentrations of each coolant, mixed, can cause the silicates from the green stuff to precipitate out of solution and cause sediment and possible plugging long term in systems that are left stagnant for long periods of time. Short term mixing in an emergency is perfectly fine.

The DexCool gets a bad rap in some of the older LT1 engineed cars due to the reverse flow coolant system that could trap air in the head if not bled properly and/or was allowed to get low. If the system gets low the iron in the system can rust when it is not covered by coolant and it dries out momentarily. The rust is then washed into the system by the coolant sloshing through the system and the gradual accumulation of the rust casues plugging and sediment deposits. A friend of mine has an LT1 in a Corvette that's still running fine with DexCool in it so it can't be all that bad - it just requires that the system be maintained, not run low, bled properly, etcetera.

Quadrasteer
06-22-04, 12:58 PM
What brand is your snowmobile? What does the manufacture recommend?

BTW, IT's June, are you running open water :D on your sled?

Chris
95 V-max 600
It's a Cat, they use the green stuff. No open water for me only snow & ice!

Geno Castellano
06-22-04, 01:41 PM
It's a Cat, they use the green stuff. No open water for me only snow & ice!

Well why didn't you say it was an Arctic Cat? Just use anything in it. It'll blow up long before any corrosion or other damage can occur...http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif

Quadrasteer
06-22-04, 02:21 PM
:devil: WHAT!!.....Now you've done it! That was the most disrespectfull, insensitive,argumentative statement i've seen in all my life!

I agree, I'm switching to Ski-do as soon as I sell my 4 Cats. I fell in love with that new 1000. Tired of the poor Cat quality and bad dealers.

Geno Castellano
06-22-04, 04:54 PM
I would imagine they all have their advantages and disadvantages. But the Arctic Cats historically and consistently tear up, blow up, etcetera - more than others. They do handle well though and can be blindingly fast. Skidoo has their problems too but consistently have been the most trouble free and most well sorted out sleds out there.

97Deville
06-23-04, 12:38 AM
Ski-Doo gave us the snowmobile but the one thing we can thank Artic-Cat for is the slide rail suspension, and forward mounted engine. That invention back in 67-68 was years ahead of its time. SkiDoo only offered it on the blizzard line in starting in 71. The T'nt was an over powered olympique, boggie suspension and the carb blowing fuel at your chest. Ahh,, the good old days.

Artic-Cat was building liquid cooled sleds for their race team in the early 70's, so you would think that they would have it right. (I cant remember if the coolent was green or purple,,LOL)
The one thing you must do with a liquid cooled, is warm it up before you open it up. For some reason, WOT before the temperature stablizes, seems to blow holes in pistons.

Isn't it amazing how many N* fans like sleds. Perhaps we should start a thread relating Northstar prefomance and fast toys. Sleds and Jet skis and bikes

My toy is a Yamaha 95 600 V-Max sled
Passed on 75 440 F/A Sno-Jet to my 12 year old son (Yamaha engine premix system)
66 Ski-doo Olympique 12hp for my 10 year old son

Chris

JohnnyO
06-23-04, 04:27 PM
Isn't it amazing how many N* fans like sleds. Perhaps we should start a thread relating Northstar prefomance and fast toys. Sleds and Jet skis and bikes
:coolgleam I have a 2000 Polaris Virage, stock with a Skat-Trak impeller. Handles like a dream and I stay mostly dry if I want. Not the fastest guy on the river, but I'm ONE of the fastest. Only problem is service. The place where I bought it is now a used-car lot and the next closest dealer is 83 miles away. Fortunately it's been pretty trouble-free.
If y'all like your sleds then more power to you, but I can't understand why anyone would go out in the cold on purpose. ;)

97Deville
06-24-04, 12:23 AM
:coolgleam
If y'all like your sleds then more power to you, but I can't understand why anyone would go out in the cold on purpose. ;)
LOL No Bugs

Chris