: Hate these Michelins

seanandniksts4
09-18-08, 05:35 PM
I have the stock Michelin tires on my 06 sts4 v-6 and think they are terrible. I have never heard a set of tires this loud, no matter what the pavement is like they are terribly loud and give a very rough ride. I am thinking of switching to a set of Dunlop SP sport signature's, stock is 255/55/17, the closest i can come is either 235/55/17 or 255/45/17. I dont know if i want to sacrifice ride for grip and go with the 45 series or sacrifice grip for ride and go for the 55's? will there be a significant differance either way?

c5 rv
09-18-08, 07:25 PM
Loud? Come drive my 06 SRX with the stock RS-As. They bugged the heck out of my brother-in-law who borrowed the car for 3 weeks.

rjm
09-18-08, 08:08 PM
Loud? Come drive my 06 SRX with the stock RS-As. They bugged the heck out of my brother-in-law who borrowed the car for 3 weeks.

I hear ya!! My last 2 rental cars--an Impala and an SRX both wore Goodyears and they were exactly like the Bridgestones I just replaced on my car, above 40mph you couldn't hear yourself think, let alone talk to any passengers.

But I agree about these Michelins. You do have the Pilot HX MXM4 don't you?? It isn't Michelin's quietest tire, but compared to its competition, its smooth and quiet. At least as smooth and quiet as can be expected from any of the 17" and 18" tires currently available. I'll take it any day of the week over the Bridgestone Turanzas I just ditched.

I know a couple of people who have those Dunlops on their Lexus LS and their only complaint has been short tread life, 20k-25k miles at most.

Good luck in your search.

Force-1
09-18-08, 11:15 PM
I agree. Took the OEM tires off with only 2k miles on them--replaced them with KUmho Ecsta ASX tires--very pleased with the change.

porkfarm
09-19-08, 10:02 AM
I put on Goodyear Eagle F1 all seasons. have 30K and plenty of meat left and they are quiet.

skippydts
09-19-08, 10:06 AM
Put on the Cooper CS4. I love them. They really hold the road in wet weather. Haven't had them in snow yet.

blunted
09-19-08, 04:49 PM
Get some Falken Fk-452's... best bang for your buck. I have the Falken ST-115's which are very similar and they have proven themselves time and time again. Grip on wet & dry is amazing.. very sticky and very quiet. Only downside is no snow traction but that's basically a given. My tires are almost due and I'm going with a set of FK-452's @ 255/45/18.

Greg Gore
09-20-08, 10:20 AM
My Michelins were like riding on rocks with Fred Flintstone. Lumpy and droning with a loud constant rump-rump-rump thumping where I just couldn't stand it anymore (what else is to be expected from the French?) so I put on a nice new set of Z-rated GoodYear F1 GS-D3's and I tell you this is absolutely the smoothest, best handling with the most grip tire I have ever experienced! A google search will turn up multiple rave reviews so I am not alone in this opinion! This would be a great tire at even twice the price!!

Benjamin Simon
09-20-08, 01:43 PM
I have put 12K on my Nexen 3000s, and I could not be more pleased. They are a great discount tire; however, I am not going to be tricked into paying 4x as much for what is horrible premium tire. If these Michelins were cheap, they would be a horrible discount tire.
Sometimes you get what you pay for. Sometimes you don't get what you pay for.