: Advice on 2005 STS V6, 78K miles, all options, $16K

uofmrapper
09-18-08, 04:02 PM
Hello all,

So I spent some time testing doing testing in an STS last year and fell in love with car, mostly for its amenities (keyless start/entry, Nav, ventilated seats, heated rear seats, etc). I'm currently looking for a new car because my 2-seater 2000 Mercedes-Benz SLK230 won't be practical when my first child arrives in a week.

I've been mostly looking at replacing it with another Mercedes because this one has been pretty solid but I really like this STS. I do want to have my next car for a long time (at least 6 or 7 years or more) so the high mileage scares me a little. But I live in Michigan where many people drive over 80 miles to Detroit and back for work and this car is a single owner so I am assuming that was the case (could be wrong).

I've looked through the sticky and searched through the threads and saw a lot of different troubles with the 05s but I just wanted to see if there was anything that I should be aware of and also if this seems like a fair price for the car. Like the rear diff leak - would this be fixed by the service bulletin for free or would I have to pay and how expensive would this be? I want to take it to a mechanic or dealer to check it out before I buy, can anyone recommend specific things to look for?

Mercedes repairs are more expensive that GM ones, but if I have to get GM ones done more often, then it doesn't make any sense.

Any input is greatly appreciated and hopefully I will be becoming an active member here in the future. (BTW, if anyone is interested in a 2000 SLK230, let me know...or search Detroit area craigslist for "2000 slk230":))

blunted
09-19-08, 06:03 PM
If you can afford about $21K you should be able to find an '05 with less than half the miles and under warranty.. maybe even Certified Pre-Owned. I would not own one of these (or any luxury car) out of warranty. Keep looking, IMHO.