: can you fix a floating gas gauge? (gauge is all over the place)

caddydave2001
09-18-08, 12:43 PM
I have a 1979 Cadillac and the fuel gauge just drives me up the wall. Lets say I have a half a tank of gas. If I take a left hand turn, the gauge goes all the way down to E and the red light comes on. If I make a right turn, it heads to the 3/4 mark on the gauge. On normal driving/freeway, especially when Im in the middle range, its floating all over the place, from towards E to towards F. It makes it really hard to know when I need to fuel up and when I dont. Any ways to fix this issue? A dancing needle on the fuel gauge just doesnt sit right with me.

deVille33
09-18-08, 10:02 PM
Hate to tell you this, but you have to check the ground. That is the #1 issue with gas gauges. If you provide the circuit with the proper ground and the problem still persists, it could be the float in the tank, but this is uncommon.
Either way you have to drop the tank. When you drop the tank be careful not to rip the ground wire out and break the line. One other thing that could cause this might be that your ground wire has a bare section that is grounding out.