: Check Coolant Level

blunted
09-17-08, 09:28 AM
Well its happened.. the message has appeared. :annoyed:

Seeing this with my Eldorado shot a lighting bolt of fear in me everytime but hey at least this one is under warranty. I was going to open it up to add some coolant but I didn't wanna start screwing with it.. I'm gonna take it to the dealer and let them figure it out.

However this got me wondering.. have there been any 05 Northstars headgasket issues? And if I were to top off the coolant, is the system self-purging like the older ones?

Aurora5000
09-17-08, 01:14 PM
I got the same notice about a week ago. Added 12 oz of distilled water. Will mention to dealer next time I have service.

pjbizjak
09-17-08, 02:50 PM
If there isn't any puddles of coolant where you park your car then you might have a head gasket issue. I would top off the coolant with the recommended antifreeze and see if you get the warning again and if that occurs and if the car is under warranty i would take it to the dealer.

Cajonkev
09-17-08, 02:54 PM
On my 05 the feed line to the reserve tank split and had a slow leak.

On my 06 a leak ended up being my water pump...

Both precipitated by a minor loss of coolant leading to the DIC message.

blunted
09-17-08, 05:08 PM
When I started the car in the morning.. CHECK COOLANT... when I started it again to drive to the dealership.. nothing.

Service advisor said not to worry about it.. most likely a bad sensor. Going back tomorrow to get it fixed.

BaTu
09-17-08, 05:12 PM
I'd think though,,, that a marginal level of coolant would be at it's lowest after an over-night cool down and sit.

justgreat
09-17-08, 06:49 PM
i geuss cadillac owners don't look under the hood....every month you should check your oil, coolant and brake fluid level. it's quite simple and it can give you some peace of mind. check it in the morning, when the engine has cooled down overnight. the coolant level should be no lower than the min mark.

you don't necessarily have to see puddles of coolant on the floor to have a leak....in fact, lots of times the leak is internal, into the combustion chambers.

ANY loss of coolant is indicative of a problem...this should not happen...

a little bit of pm can go a long way....

jackg
06 sts6

blunted
09-18-08, 09:15 AM
i geuss cadillac owners don't look under the hood....every month you should check your oil, coolant and brake fluid level. it's quite simple and it can give you some peace of mind. check it in the morning, when the engine has cooled down overnight. the coolant level should be no lower than the min mark.

you don't necessarily have to see puddles of coolant on the floor to have a leak....in fact, lots of times the leak is internal, into the combustion chambers.

ANY loss of coolant is indicative of a problem...this should not happen...

a little bit of pm can go a long way....

jackg
06 sts6

This Cadillac owner does check under the hood and does more pm than anyone you probably know. I did it multiple times a week with my Eldorado with all the oil leaking, coolant finding new places to leak out of, brake fluid leaking one time.. checking steering fluid.. ETC. That car saw more attention than anything.. to the point it was almost a sickness.

This certified pre-owned STS (33K on the odo) is now my daily driver which I wanna just enjoy without all the headache. The coolant shouldn't have to be touched this early, and if it is low then all the sensors I paid for when buying this luxury car should do their job and tell me what's up. This car is 11 years newer and I wasn't sure if the system is self purging before taking the cap off and putting air in the system.

Like we say in the IT world.. if your not sure then don't F@!K with it!

justgreat
09-18-08, 04:02 PM
This Cadillac owner does check under the hood and does more pm than anyone you probably know. I did it multiple times a week with my Eldorado with all the oil leaking, coolant finding new places to leak out of, brake fluid leaking one time.. checking steering fluid.. ETC. That car saw more attention than anything.. to the point it was almost a sickness.

This certified pre-owned STS (33K on the odo) is now my daily driver which I wanna just enjoy without all the headache. The coolant shouldn't have to be touched this early, and if it is low then all the sensors I paid for when buying this luxury car should do their job and tell me what's up. This car is 11 years newer and I wasn't sure if the system is self purging before taking the cap off and putting air in the system.

Like we say in the IT world.. if your not sure then don't F@!K with it!

oh..i agree totally. i geuss i don't consider myself your typical caddy owner. when i had my 90 seville 4.5 i was religous re the coolant system. i watched it like a hawk due to all the reports of head gasket problems from overheating.

the 90 didn't have a separate eng coolant temp gauge, so in the summer i would leave the dic on the coolant temp setting and i could watch the temp go up and down as the fans would kick on and off. i never did have a problem with overheating...i did notice some seepage around the water pump, so i had my dealer change it out.

i did my own oil changes and tire rotation on the 90 but now, all i do is check under the hood on the sts..once a month i throw a trickle charger on the battery for 15-20 hours....again after reading all the posts about dead batteries. a ounce of precaution....

i would still be driving the seville if it weren't for being rear ended and having the ins co total the car. it was the perfect car for me...it had it's share of nicks and dings, but ran strong and steady and looked good after a wash...it was good enough for me...and i didn't have to worry about it in the parking lot, like i do with the sts....i need a clunker.

jackg
06 sts6

blunted
09-18-08, 04:31 PM
Update:

Car is ready to be picked up.. they replaced the radiator cap. I dont get how that could have been the problem since the car never ran hot and only sometimes showed low coolant. :hmm:

BaTu
09-18-08, 05:19 PM
If the cap vented at a much lower pressure than it should, I could see it being the cause.

miked
09-23-08, 01:21 AM
FWIW, our N* V8 05 SRX had this happen a few times. First time it was actually low. Second time the car was parked over night on a relatively steep incline. Third time I had no clue. Problem hasn't occurred for about a year now.