: Another P1860/P0741 repair

Lowtrac
09-17-08, 09:51 AM
At around 110,000 miles, my car bumped a couple of times on the interstate, then threw the P1860. A few days later it has the P0741 also. I read a lot of posts and checked out Logandiagnostic's pictures. With the prompting of a friend who offered to help, I decided to go for it. We basically followed Logandiagnostic's steps with one major exception. Insted of using the rods to lower the entire cradle, we dropped the passenger side slightly (like 3" or so) then removed the cradle bolts entirely on the driver's side and let it sag all the way. I've since re-read Logandiagnositc's posts and the "cradle sag" method saved me from having to deal with the AC system. He did the job on a Deville and I have a Seville, so this may not be the case on the Deville. Anyway, it took about 10 hours to complete, including a lunch break and a trip to the store for antifreeze. Here's a few pics of the job and a dissection of the TCC solenoid. The solenoid is pretty crispy as suspected.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lowtrac/CadillacTCCSolenoidReplacement

http://picasaweb.google.com/lowtrac/TCCSolenoidDissection

I've put around 300 miles on it since the repair and the codes haven't reset. I do have a Crankshaft position sensor code now though. If it ain't one thing, it's another.

Submariner409
09-17-08, 10:05 AM
Excellent post. Nice work and good luck. :thumbsup:

tateos
09-17-08, 03:43 PM
Yeah - I never understood the business with those lowering rods - why not just lower the cradle as needed with the floor jack like you did? That's what I did when I dropped the cradle to do my HG project

blue_eldo
09-18-08, 02:43 PM
Just pray that you don't have the leaking internal seal and worn drive sprocket problem that I have and that AJ outlined on his post of 9-16.
Reset the codes from the DIC and see what you have.

va561
09-18-08, 03:29 PM
I recently got a service engine light which turned out to be a P0741 code . I took it by my local well respected transmission shop and after test driving the car, the mechanic said that it is a fairly common problem with caddy transmissions and that he would remove and replace the bad solenoid replace a faulty internal seal for $850.00. I didn't think that was a bad price.

Lowtrac
09-18-08, 05:15 PM
Just pray that you don't have the leaking internal seal and worn drive sprocket problem that I have and that AJ outlined on his post of 9-16.
Reset the codes from the DIC and see what you have.

I didn't have the P0741 code until a couple of days after the P1860 showed up. It's running fine now. I cleared the codes when the repair was finished, and they haven't come back. The TCC is working correctly as best I can tell with the brake pedal trick. You couldn't feel it unlock before. Hopefully it won't crap out again.

Lowtrac
09-18-08, 05:16 PM
I recently got a service engine light which turned out to be a P0741 code . I took it by my local well respected transmission shop and after test driving the car, the mechanic said that it is a fairly common problem with caddy transmissions and that he would remove and replace the bad solenoid replace a faulty internal seal for $850.00. I didn't think that was a bad price.

That sounds pretty good to me. It really does take a long time to do. It's the labor that kills you.

Lowtrac
09-18-08, 05:19 PM
Yeah - I never understood the business with those lowering rods - why not just lower the cradle as needed with the floor jack like you did? That's what I did when I dropped the cradle to do my HG project

I can see how they would let you drop the entire cradle slowly and well under control. It's a good idea, and Logandiagnostic should be given props for having thought of it. I just figured that you wouldn't have to drop the whole thing if it'd sag enough to get clearance. I also didn't have to "recover the refrigerant" so that saved some time and a few bucks.

Marco
11-28-10, 06:45 AM
Would love to know if this method is possible on a 2000 deville.
If anyone has a link to it being done please post it, I've searched about 3 dozen times with no luck.