: Heads up display not visible

TexasPhotographer
09-16-08, 11:18 PM
Many of us drive wearing Polarized sunglasses to protect our eyes from glare.

For those of us that have the heads up display the polarizing material in the sun glasses filter out the display from view. Way to go Cadillac.

Cadillac engineers know this as it is stated in our manuals. But, wouldn't it be simple to use a different color filter like magenta (which is the complimentary color to green) as green is the color used by GM for the heads-up display.

I am not an engineer, but I think that using a magenta filter in the heads-up display path to enhance the green light would override the polarizing effect that the sunglasses have on the display.

I am a photographer and think I know something about light. I wrote Cadillac making this suggestion, but Cadillac must have their non-listening ears or non-reading eyes on as they have not even acknowledged my suggestion.

General Motors says they are a different company that is in tune with their customers. Yeah!

c5 rv
09-17-08, 11:24 AM
I had a HUD on my 02 vette. I bought a pair of dark, non-polarizing sunglasses to solve the problem.

That said, I have so many windshield reflections on my Lincoln MKZ with a camel interior that non-polarizing sunglasses are out of the question.

BaTu
09-17-08, 01:52 PM
Magenta numbers "floating around" in front of me?

No thanks, thank you GM ;) green's the right color as far as I'm concerned.... (my sunglasses are OK I guess)

dkozloski
09-17-08, 02:30 PM
Unless the light projected by the HUD is polarized, it doesn't work. Deal with it.

Cajonkev
09-17-08, 03:02 PM
Flipping the polarization 90 degrees would work.

Many glass repair shops will make a pair of non-polarized lenses for you as well for same/near cost as new.

And aviators as well of course as we deal with it all the time...

TexasPhotographer
09-17-08, 08:13 PM
Flipping the polarization 90 degrees would work.

That I realize. I have used polarizing filters on my cameras for many years. It, however, is a bit hard to drive with my head propped over on one shoulder.:)

Many glass repair shops will make a pair of non-polarized lenses for you as well for same/near cost as new.

And aviators as well of course as we deal with it all the time...

Been a SEL pilot with instrumentation rating for over 40 years. This has not been a problem in the cockpit, but in the Caddy, it is.

TexasPhotographer
09-17-08, 09:20 PM
Magenta numbers "floating around" in front of me?

No thanks, thank you GM ;) green's the right color as far as I'm concerned.... (my sunglasses are OK I guess)

BaTu, By putting a magenta filter in the lights path, you would not get a magenta colored heads-up display. The magenta filter darkens the green light and would make it more contrasty. All you would get is a darker green light on your windshield.

jono6406
09-18-08, 08:54 AM
Many of us drive wearing Polarized sunglasses to protect our eyes from glare.

For those of us that have the heads up display the polarizing material in the sun glasses filter out the display from view. Way to go Cadillac.

Cadillac engineers know this as it is stated in our manuals. But, wouldn't it be simple to use a different color filter like magenta (which is the complimentary color to green) as green is the color used by GM for the heads-up display.

I am not an engineer, but I think that using a magenta filter in the heads-up display path to enhance the green light would override the polarizing effect that the sunglasses have on the display.

I am a photographer and think I know something about light. I wrote Cadillac making this suggestion, but Cadillac must have their non-listening ears or non-reading eyes on as they have not even acknowledged my suggestion.

General Motors says they are a different company that is in tune with their customers. Yeah!

BOO HOO HOO!!! Stop crying.

Jono

BarryNS
09-18-08, 09:15 AM
Flipping the polarization 90 degrees would work....

It would certainly allow the heads up display to be seen along with all the dashboard and other surface glare that the polorization was intended to block. I had to switch to non-polarized prescription glasses which I had tinted a very dark 'gray'. Works very well.

Force-1
09-21-08, 12:50 PM
My STS does not have HUD; however, my C6 Corvette does. I wear polarized sunglasses all the time, and can see the HUD in my C6 just fine. Hmmmm....

dkozloski
09-21-08, 01:05 PM
The orientation of the polarization of the sunglass lenses and the polarization of the light makes all the difference. Look through two pairs of polarized lenses, one in front of the other. Rotate them in opposte directions and the light will come and go. If you rotate your sunglasses while you observe polarized light it will come and go.