: Odd question

EMB1230
09-16-08, 06:40 PM
Ok, I have an odd question. How is "Brougham" actually pronounced? I've always thought that it was "Bro-ham" but the few times I've heard people say it they say "Broam" So which is it?

jayoldschool
09-16-08, 07:33 PM
Sounds like "Roam":thumbsup:

My_favorite_Brougham
09-16-08, 10:53 PM
I say "Braum" like the ice cream shop. Or like cd-ROM.

jey
09-17-08, 11:51 AM
From yourdictionary.com:

brougham (bro̵̅o̅m, brōm; bro̵̅o̅′əm, brō′-)

noun

1. a closed, four-wheeled carriage with the driver's seat outside
2. any of certain early types of automobile; esp.,
1. an electrically powered automobile similar to a coupe
2. a limousine with the driver's seat unenclosed

Etymology: after Lord Brougham (1778-1868), Brit political leader

Looks like the "gh" is silent.

Though a search on Google brought me to this very entertaining thread:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-versus/77823-lt1-fleetwood-brougham-vs-northstar-seville.html

I always pronounced it Broam. Like the sound the engine makes under WOT :D

You guys can call it Boars Head Ham all you want. It's "Brougham" with a silent "a" or "BroHum"... :D

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
09-17-08, 01:17 PM
I used to say it bro-ham, but my Mom the English major corrected me and now I pronounce it bro-um.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-17-08, 01:42 PM
Hey what's up Bro-hams!

theGman
09-17-08, 04:11 PM
Around here most of the blacks pronounce it "bro-hams", most others say "brome", except for some confederates who insist on saying "broge-um".
The nice thing about these cars is that they appeal to all kinds of people.

I told one of my friends as a joke that "brougham" means "brother" in French, so he says "bro", since it is therefore a brother. I think I like that one the best.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
09-17-08, 11:51 PM
Hey what's up Bro-hams!

I say that all the time. Seriously, I do. :)

DopeStar 156
09-20-08, 05:31 PM
Me and my friends have always said it "Brawm" but I'm from NJ and so are they.....

Fitz1818
09-22-08, 10:45 AM
Found This On Wika
Invented for Scottish jurist Henry Brougham, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux, Lord Chancellor of Great Britain, or simply made fashionable by his example, a brougham (pronounced "broom" or "brohm") was a light, four-wheeled horse-drawn carriage built in the 19th century.[1] It had an enclosed body with two doors, like the rear section of a coach; it sat two, sometimes with an extra pair of fold-away seats in the front corners, and with a box seat in front for the driver and a footman or passenger. Unlike a coach, the carriage had a glazed front window, so that the occupants could see forward. The forewheels were capable of turning sharply. A variant, called a brougham-landaulet, had a top collapsible from the rear doors backward.[2]

[edit] Automotive usage