: Ford Escape Hybdrid: 133hp + 94hp = 155hp??

Chuck C
06-15-04, 03:19 PM
From edmunds.com:

"The gas engine is rated at 133 horsepower, while the electric motor is rated at 94 horses. When combined, they make 155 hp, which may seem odd, as you probably think it should be 227. But there is a formula used to calculate total output and it isn't simply a matter of adding their output figures together. Although 155 ponies doesn't sound like much, the broad power band of the electric motor means that the net result is indeed V6-like performance. On our driving loop, which included running up the Hollywood Hills and cruising at 75 mph on the freeway, the Escape Hybrid felt as energetic as an Escape V6."

Can anyone explain the measurement in detail? Also, does this mean that hybrids from other manufacturers have overstated horsepower claims?

Msilva954
06-15-04, 03:58 PM
That is why usually they state the specific for both the motor and the battery.....I wonder how the newer high horsepower ones will be like?

maydog
06-15-04, 05:25 PM
It probably due to the fact tht the peak HP on both happen at different RPMs, peak power for the electric will be at the peak rpm for the motor. Or it may be that power is being siphoned off to charge the battery.

Msilva954
06-15-04, 05:59 PM
"Peak" power for the battery is all the time.....no matter what RPM the battery always makes peak. Id imagine it has to do with the size of the base internal combustion engine too. But I think that because the motor is making differnt RPM level power it takes away from it too, maybe the drivetrain loss for an electric motor is far greater then that of a IC motor???

majax
06-15-04, 07:31 PM
Internal Combustion Engines have more low end power while Electric are more consistant. Watch the Video of GM's electric car racing the Mazda Miata the Miata kicked in more at first but then was overtaken by the EV1.

http://www.gmev.com/power/power.htm

Msilva954
06-15-04, 07:42 PM
Was that 300ZX thrown in just for kicks???

majax
06-15-04, 08:09 PM
I didnt see any 300zx there ill have to take another look thats pretty funy.

Stoneage_Caddy
06-15-04, 08:19 PM
I guess ford changed the dyno they used , there old one it would have made 237 hp , they would have then scrambled SVT to fix the problem and halted prodcution for months (ala Cobra )

perhaps the electric motor cuts back around the area the gas engine is makeing peak power , they could be useing the full 100% of the electric motor at low rpms to get it off the line , but once moving they probably want it to rely on the gas engine ..i would say its 155hp from idle to redline ..this would conserve battery power for the next run off the line

ive heard similar storys out of the prius , one supposely is being worked on by TRD , its quite quick but runs out of battery very fast

from what i have seen the name of the game is a balance of keeping the batterys up while delivering power to boost the gas engine

c5 rv
06-15-04, 09:24 PM
I don't know about horsepower, but there has certainly been a lot of coverage about the inability of hybrids to achieve their mileage stickers. I also wonder about the long term reliability and maintenance costs of the overly complex hybrid system. Diesel makes much more sense.

Vesicant
06-15-04, 09:38 PM
The EV1 made a land speed record for electric vehicles, by going 184 mph (no govenor). I bet it took a while to get there.

Impressive :holycrap:

http://www.gmev.com/gallery/gallery_footage1.htm

Msilva954
06-15-04, 09:43 PM
Wonder how it feels at those speeds...i wouldnt trust what ever skinny tires that thing has on it....if GM feels that they can prove soooooo much with the EV1 how come I dont see them on dealer lots????

RBraczyk
06-15-04, 11:29 PM
holy s thats fast. Its that nickel metal hydride that gives it all the damn juice. Yes it was a 300zx in that movie.

maydog
06-16-04, 10:03 PM
"Peak" power for the battery is all the time.....no matter what RPM the battery always makes peak. Id imagine it has to do with the size of the base internal combustion engine too. But I think that because the motor is making differnt RPM level power it takes away from it too, maybe the drivetrain loss for an electric motor is far greater then that of a IC motor???

I believe what you mean to say is that electric motors have a flat torque curve. Wioth the right controls the motor will have constant torque throught its operating range. A motor can have torque at 0rpm but no work is being done so there is no horsepower.

RBraczyk
06-16-04, 10:58 PM
Electric motor doesn't need to shift gears

Dead Sled
06-16-04, 10:58 PM
I believe what you mean to say is that electric motors have a flat torque curve. Wioth the right controls the motor will have constant torque throught its operating range. A motor can have torque at 0rpm but no work is being done so there is no horsepower.

bah just get a diesel if you want mpg

or a moped

gus guzzeling non renewable resource wasting gross poluting devil of speed here!

Dead Sled
06-16-04, 11:01 PM
Electric motor doesn't need to shift gears

you'll still may need gears unless you can make phenominal torque and still have the rpms to reach the speads you want