: 2001 Seville Water pump?

speedydog
09-16-08, 09:02 AM
I have a 01 seville STS, i am hearing what sounds like marbals or bearings going bad by water pump area, how do i determine if it is water pump or tensioner and how hard is it to change? and if it is a pain in the ass how much would a shop charge to do it ?

Submariner409
09-16-08, 09:07 AM
Remove the engine cover and w/p belt guard. Remove the tensioner and belt and spin the w/p and tensioner pulleys by hand. Any rough or noisy operation is cause for replacement.

If it's the tensioner pulley, about $150 (tensioner and belt). If it's the w/p, over $250 (w/p, coolant, labor). Both, $400+.

........and the w/p can be a real PITA, and you need a special socket/tool to remove it, clockwise 1/8 turn.

mgturbo1
09-16-08, 09:00 PM
Remove the engine cover and w/p belt guard. Remove the tensioner and belt and spin the w/p and tensioner pulleys by hand. Any rough or noisy operation is cause for replacement.

If it's the tensioner pulley, about $150 (tensioner and belt). If it's the w/p, over $250 (w/p, coolant, labor). Both, $400+.

........and the w/p can be a real PITA, and you need a special socket/tool to remove it, clockwise 1/8 turn.

Where can I get the special socket/tool?

Ranger
09-16-08, 09:27 PM
SK, KD, SnapOn, KentMoore. Lysle make a cheap stamped steel version. AutoZone may lend you one if you buy the pump from them.

jeffrsmith
09-16-08, 09:32 PM
Actually if it is the tensioner pulley you can replace just the pulley for about $35. It is not always necessary to replace the complete tensioner. I replaced mine while doing the head gaskets.