: Oil Temp Reflash still not available?

wildwhl
06-15-04, 02:31 PM
Spoke with my dealer just now and they are saying the reflash is still not available. Anybody actually been reflashed yet?

Wildwhl

globed70
06-15-04, 04:46 PM
I am a bit p*ssed as well.... GMPD mentioned to me in early March that a reflash would go to the production line first (as it recently has) and then be released to dealers. The warning chime is annoying, and I hear it on a regular basis.

lasstss
06-16-04, 10:29 AM
We can solve this. The CTS has a nice power steering cooler under the plastic. Does anyone know if any version of the LS-1 or LS-6 came with an auxillary cooler?? The B body 9C1 police package came with a bolt on cooler unit that you could get as a kit. We have plenty of room for it up front.

JJOC
06-16-04, 11:28 AM
I spoke to my dealer yesterday and was told that the reflash has not arrived yet. According to an earlier Cadillac bulletin (#04-08-49-017), it was supposed to be at the dealers on May 27th. There's no explanation as to why it hasn't arrived yet. They said they would call me as soon as it came in, and I'll post as soon as I hear something.

Trilio
06-16-04, 11:45 AM
This non action by Cadillac has made me mad at myself for buying this car. I was so pleased when an American car company finally put a real product out so I didn't have to go foriegn. The fact that they have corrected the problem on new cars so they can sell them but don't give a s..t about us who are the real enthusiasts shows that the bean counters are still running the show. I can't drive my car the way they represented and because it may cost them a few bucks to fix it I guess I may have to loose the first season I own it so they aren't bothered.I am unhappy and frustrated as I don't have a recourse but to become one of those pains that appeals for a lemon law buy back which I really don't want to do. Is any one getting any satisfaction at all?

JJOC
06-16-04, 11:51 AM
Except for a dud battery and the resulting foul sulfuric acid odor that I had for a couple of days, now that the battery has been replace I'm getting a lot of satisfaction from the car. It's only the US speed limits that are inhibiting even greater enjoyment, but for me that will last only a year. I'm not particularly concerned about the wheel hop problem, but I definitely want to get the oil temp sensor flashed as a precaution only.

globed70
06-16-04, 11:58 AM
LASSTSS,

An oil cooler is a great idea for the track, but hardly an ideal solution to the required software re-calibration. Yeah, it's a workaround... but the correct oil temp should be reported.

TRILIO,

I don't think this is a bean counter issue.... a software re-flash is not an incremental cost issue. They haven't corrected the issue on new cars to sell them, as wheel hop is FAR more of a concern for most enthusiasts than a FALSE high oil temp reading. Yes, the warning chime is annoying... but does it really detract from your enjoyment for a few months? It's not exactly as if the latest stuff coming out of Germany is 100% in it's first year...

Cal
06-16-04, 01:14 PM
I think I am the only one that pounds on the car and has no oil gauge warning. I must have a Super V!

Only got it the very first time I got on her at the track. I have no temp mods at all and had the oil changed by the dealer so I know they didn't underfill the thing (seems pretty freakin hard to do that anyhow even for a lube place). Wonder what gives.

The New Jersey air must be filling her lungs so well she doesn't overheat. Har har.

DgtalPimp
06-16-04, 01:23 PM
I think I am the only one that pounds on the car and has no oil gauge warning. I must have a Super V!

Only got it the very first time I got on her at the track. I have no temp mods at all and had the oil changed by the dealer so I know they didn't underfill the thing (seems pretty freakin hard to do that anyhow even for a lube place). Wonder what gives.

The New Jersey air must be filling her lungs so well she doesn't overheat. Har har.
One could say the term "pound" is relative. If you are not working her to hard, we understand. :histeric:

I am pretty sure the AZ temp and lively driving are the main reasons my alarm goes off. If I run her hard at night I don't ge the alarms, but during the day watch out. Whats the current teemps in NJ?

Dgtal

JKG
06-16-04, 02:13 PM
When one of the magazines tested the car 6 months ago, they had a problem with wheel hop, rubbery shifter, and oil temp warning. That article indicated those were all problems of the prototype and would not be production issues. Obviously, absolutely nothing has been done by GM about any of the issues.

The shifter is what it is, and wheel hop is apparently just part of the design, but this oil temp problem is bad. I assume it is a calibration issue, and that my oil temp is not 40 degrees higher than water temp every day. Good thing we have synthetic oil. GM's lack of interest is frustrating, and I would not be surprised if the new cars have no fix.

I love the car, but am disappointed with acceleration below 3500 RPM. I have a friend with a Z06 that is MUCH faster than the V. The shifter really is lousy, and the exhaust is lame. I would never repeat this anywhere else, but I find the acceleration disappointing. (The handling and braking are awesome, though.) No one can match GM's claim of 0-60 in 4.6 seconds...

Cal
06-16-04, 03:55 PM
Temps are in the 80s with 900% humidity on hot days. Maybe low 90s, but nothing serious yet. When that happens I won't leave the house anyhow for fear of melting.

wildwhl
06-16-04, 03:58 PM
I seem to manage to get the alarm regardless of weather conditions - from 30 degrees on up. I don't think it has anything to do with actual temperatures, only a calibration FUBAR, and even on hot days it "sometimes" does not occur at all, even with aggressive driving.

I agree, however, that for such a simple fix for GM to be ignoring this is lame. I think a call to Vince is in order (because that is the only avenue I can think of right now).

Wildwhl

Cal
06-16-04, 04:55 PM
I drive around with 4 bags of ice under the hood, maybe that helps!

But seriously, I agree this update is overdue. They were waiting (I was told) to see if there were other quirks so they didn't have to reflash multiple times, but they are 3 weeks over their ETA, so it's time to just give up and release it guys.

lasstss
06-16-04, 05:21 PM
I agree completely. I am going to work on it. Not a bad thing to have anyway. As far as the Flash. I dont understand why Caddy is sitting on it. We do calibrations. Reflashing or calibrations is very easy to do. Unless the factory has some really screwey interactive algorithms, its no big deal. I guess they are to cheap to do 4000 of them as its intended to be a street car.

LASSTSS,

An oil cooler is a great idea for the track, but hardly an ideal solution to the required software re-calibration. Yeah, it's a workaround... but the correct oil temp should be reported.

TRILIO,

I don't think this is a bean counter issue.... a software re-flash is not an incremental cost issue. They haven't corrected the issue on new cars to sell them, as wheel hop is FAR more of a concern for most enthusiasts than a FALSE high oil temp reading. Yes, the warning chime is annoying... but does it really detract from your enjoyment for a few months? It's not exactly as if the latest stuff coming out of Germany is 100% in it's first year...

CTSV OWNER
06-16-04, 07:32 PM
Cal I'm in NJ also and I have yet to hear that chime even once. Now I admit I don't continuously drive hard but I've been against the rev limiter, and I get a great amount of enjoyment from hearing the tires bark into 4th gear. Hmmmm I wonder if there is a way of setting the "memo" and romping on it in a tunnel so I can play it back time and time again.
I think I'll set the wonderfull sounds of the wide open throttle as my voice mail on my cell.

Cal let me know next time your going to Pocono I'll see if the boss will let me have the day off so I can come watch.

Cal
06-16-04, 08:36 PM
I got talked out of going to the 3 day event this weekend by my biz partner. Not sure when my next road days will be, but as I said in the other thread when Englishtown opens their road course I may be there for smaller events. The only problem with PDA is that there is the potential for accidents or to hit walls (2 accidents the day I went) so I don't know. Personally I don't care but people are bellyaching at me to be careful. Shucks.

jeffgtx
06-16-04, 10:14 PM
the only time i am not satisfied with the car lately is when i am here reading these posts... they make me feel like i bought a camry... now i am worried i didnt get mobil 1 on my oil change cause i didnt think i had to ask for it from teh dealer...

with no proof that the new cars got the reflash, i dontthink we can say that they are sticking it to previous owners. in fact i still think they are putting it in a care baskeet with some new FG2-and-a-half suspension package that will arrive at every existing owners doorstep to say here... your oil temp is right now and how about a 4.6 0-60 time for ya? thanks for buying a caddy.

Cal
06-17-04, 12:12 AM
You didn't know the V has a Toyota engine?

:rolleyes2

globed70
06-17-04, 09:22 AM
When one of the magazines tested the car 6 months ago, they had a problem with wheel hop, rubbery shifter, and oil temp warning. That article indicated those were all problems of the prototype and would not be production issues. Obviously, absolutely nothing has been done by GM about any of the issues.

The shifter is what it is, and wheel hop is apparently just part of the design, but this oil temp problem is bad. I assume it is a calibration issue, and that my oil temp is not 40 degrees higher than water temp every day. Good thing we have synthetic oil. GM's lack of interest is frustrating, and I would not be surprised if the new cars have no fix.

I love the car, but am disappointed with acceleration below 3500 RPM. I have a friend with a Z06 that is MUCH faster than the V. The shifter really is lousy, and the exhaust is lame. I would never repeat this anywhere else, but I find the acceleration disappointing. (The handling and braking are awesome, though.) No one can match GM's claim of 0-60 in 4.6 seconds...

Agreed... apparently the oil temp thing is two fixes... the first one was on the cluster side and done prior to production... and the second one on the voltage side. BUT, BUT.... HOW could they not have noticed? I put a call into the head comms exec at GMPD who apologized for the problem, confirmed what that he was told the same thing as me back in March (that something would be out in two months) and promised to contact the engineering team to understand the hold-up. As many of you know, I am very patient with new car things... but this is a bit annoying now. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

As far as power, the LS6 engine should have the same powerband characteristics in boths cars... but the V does weigh 800 lbs more, with only a 3.73 (vs 3.42) axle to try and help it along... so yes, it will feel sluggish compared to a Z06. And that 4.6s crap is something that GM needs to address accross the board... they're still going to sell'em if they claim 4.9s (or anything under the magic 5s) which MAY be possible.

Trilio
06-17-04, 10:18 AM
Maybe I am the only one to experience the secondary result of the false oil temp reading. What happens next if you ignore it long enough as I did at Road America is that the computer will put the car in "limp" mode which shuts down cylinders so they suck cool air to protect the engine. My experience was on a nice cool april day and since then can only manage a couple of low speed autocross laps before the alarm goes off. Perhaps I am overly sensitive but at RA at over 130 MPH and trying to pick the proper line, let up point , brake point, turn in point and exit, that alarm and a flashing warning going off is more than just a nuisance. Having the car go into limp when setting up a 100 MPH kink was really interesting to say nothing about the worry that I just destroyed my engine. Don't get me wrong the car is awesome in the truest sense of the word. Wheel hop is no concern as I am not out to impress anyone at stop lights. I am just PO'd that GM isn't working as hard as they should on solving a problem on a car that is so important to their plans, at least not for those of us that gave it the great kick off we did. 6 months is too long to wait period!!!

Dreamin
06-17-04, 12:17 PM
Whoa...nice... put the car into "limp home" mode... I've never heard of that happening for oil temps on a Z06... but I suppose it could. Mostly it's coolant temps or a mechincal issues (i.e. throttle body issue).

Pull the codes, if you have P1518 or P1514 it's a mechnical problem... though i'm sure you're right, it was probably oil temps :(

Did the display show: "Reduced Engine Power" ?

globed70
06-19-04, 11:57 AM
I haven't got it into limp mode even after 20 minutes of the chime....

But it's getting hot in NC and the f-in thing is chiming almost every day I get on it... Something is seriously screwed at GM... this isn't a money thing - sounds like one big cluster-f in their process. I'd be very patient if this was complicated, but when it's apparently a software re-flash I am know getting a bit itchy.

OK... clam down know.... remember my meds... :devil:

TNT V
06-19-04, 01:19 PM
My V was built in April and I've had no problem with high oil temps. They run almost exactly the same as on my C5. I just came back from a very agressive run with the Corvette Club in hopes of seeing if the problem exists in mine and the oil temp never went over 215. Did the factory do a fix at some point along the line?

ctsvett
06-19-04, 01:54 PM
Bulletin number is: 04-08-49-017.
DOC ID: TBD
Afftects: V-series built prior to vin breakpoint 40181396 and built prior to April 14,2004

Above is the breakpoint.. Prior to that, oil temp is wrong.. after that, you are fine.

Info is on the FAQ as well: Http://www.cadillacfaq.com

Reed
htttp://www.cadillacfaq.com

V-Love
06-20-04, 03:34 AM
So if my car was built before april 14 I should try to ignore that chime. No damare will be done to the motor?? Cause its really hot and that oil sensor goes off all the time.

Bulletin number is: 04-08-49-017.
DOC ID: TBD
Afftects: V-series built prior to vin breakpoint 40181396 and built prior to April 14,2004

Above is the breakpoint.. Prior to that, oil temp is wrong.. after that, you are fine.

Info is on the FAQ as well: Http://www.cadillacfaq.com (http://www.cadillacfaq.com/)

Reed
htttp://www.cadillacfaq.com

TNT V
06-20-04, 09:53 AM
Afftects: V-series built prior to vin breakpoint 40181396 and built prior to April 14,2004 Thanks! I'm 40183690, so that answers that question. Any other late model year improvements that anyone is aware of?

06-20-04, 11:06 AM
referring back to the notes complaining about the fix in new cars but no retrofix yet: this may be due to the fact that the mfr. can control the installation of the software for the new cars, but not sold cars; having dealers do it requires the preparation of instructions, training the dealers and "dealer hot line" tech support personnel, and testing to see how badly it can be screwed up in the field.

Since it is a retrofit, beleive it or not, they will also have to have everything reviewed by the legal department which...well.....you know.....

The General, like many huge companies, are very big ships that manuever very slowly.

I haven't encountered the chime yet but I haven't spent a day at the track yet. As the summer hits the mid-atlantic I guess I can expect to see temps climb above the usual 250 or so that I see.....

D