: Catalytic converter brands, Walker or Maremont or ?

Highway Star
09-15-08, 02:28 PM
Next month is inspection time, so I need to get a catalytic converter for my '79 CDV. Advance has Walker brand ($149.99), and Autozone has Maremont brand ($134.99). No other brands are available locally, and I don't want to have to do a mailorder (although, I would consider it). Any thoughts or experience with either one of these converters? Thanks!

jayoldschool
09-15-08, 03:37 PM
Both are decent aftermarket suppliers. Get the one that is direct replacement, not "universal fit". If you want to go online, check out rockauto.com - they have great prices, and there are always 5% off codes out there to use as well.

Highway Star
09-15-08, 04:09 PM
Thanks, I'll go check Rockauto out. Will need a universal unit though, as I have a modded exhaust system. The direct fit units have a somewhat angled in/out, while I have a straight bypass pipe currently in place.

cadillac_al
09-15-08, 09:06 PM
Summit and Jegs sell universal cats for less than that.

Highway Star
09-15-08, 09:37 PM
Summit and Jegs sell universal cats for less than that.

Yeah, I've been checking out Summit, they have a lot of cats. They didn't have anything listed except "direct fit" for the '70s Caddys. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they have a universal available.

scurling
09-16-08, 04:38 PM
I just got both mufflers and mid section pipes for my Fltwb from Walker. They offer two grades of product on most of their parts. I went with the cheapest available for a quick fix. Will be looking at headers and performance mufflers in the near future.

The Walker application was a great fit. I had no problems at all with the install or product fit.

Highway Star
09-17-08, 01:39 PM
Due to its overall length, I'll have to rule out the Walker due to fitment issues. The Magnaflow 93506 universal may be what I go with, it covers the engine range, and there's no physical fitment problem on my application. Summit Racing doesn't appear to have any in stock (until early Oct.), so I'll have to look elsewhere to find one.