: N* RWD/FWD switchover

ol'albert
09-14-08, 11:12 PM
I have never noticed my 2006 STS switch from RWD to AWD. Are there ANY tell-tale signs? Is there any way to tell whether in AWD?

Or is the transition so smooth that it is undetectable?

whytewunder055
09-15-08, 12:41 AM
Wait ... What?

A STS4 can switch to RWD?

Caroutisine
09-15-08, 03:33 AM
It doesn't switch from RWD to AWD. It's either a STS4 (AWD all the time) or a regular STS (RWD all the time).

bigdog9586
09-15-08, 07:58 AM
Thats the reason Caddy puts a 4 after the STS, because it is 4 wheel drive instead of AWD which means it switches back and forth.
================

It doesn't switch from RWD to AWD. It's either a STS4 (AWD all the time) or a regular STS (RWD all the time).

BaTu
09-15-08, 10:53 AM
Thats the reason Caddy puts a 4 after the STS, because it is 4 wheel drive instead of AWD which means it switches back and forth.

I don't think that's right..... Where's the mechanical disconnect between the Rear/Front wheels in an STS-4?

As for "4-wheel" and "All-wheel", it's more about marketing than anything else ;) It used to be said, by International Truck I think, that TRUE 4 wheel drive was only achieved with two posi-traction differentials (because if you had both left side tires on ice it would be only they that spun with conventional diffs and that was just a different kind of 2-WD)

Now, of course, with Traction Control everybody's got "True 4-wd" when they need it!

ol'albert
09-15-08, 12:42 PM
Sorry - I don't knowhow I gave the impression of an STS 4. It is just an STS with N* engine in it. According to its papers it is rear wheel drive/all wheel drive. I am not familiar with STS4 at all.

c5 rv
09-15-08, 01:07 PM
The STS has RWD standard. Fulltime AWD is an option and I believe all AWD STS units have an STS4 badge on the rear.

<Yoda voice on> Exists much confusion in this thread. <Yoda voice off>

ol'albert
09-15-08, 01:24 PM
I am the one confused. The badge on the back of the car does say "STS4". Thanks

Caroutisine
09-15-08, 02:20 PM
If your car has STS4 on the back, it's all time AWD. Mercedes calls their all wheel drive system a 4-matic, and that's not a 4 wheel drive car either. They are both all wheel drive.

BaTu
09-15-08, 03:37 PM
If your car has STS4 on the back, it's all time AWD. Mercedes calls their all wheel drive system a 4-matic, and that's not a 4 wheel drive car either. They are both all wheel drive.

See how well that marketing (BS) works? ;)

You have 4 wheels on your car, they are All driven by the engine, hence, you have ALL 4 WHEEL DRIVE :D

Potato/tomato - semantics, no matter what you've been "told" by the car manufactures...

ol'albert
09-15-08, 05:43 PM
Thanks everyone. I am comfortable now in the knowledge that all four wheels are turned by the engine. There is also traction control on it, so maybe even a form of 4 wheel drive at that! In any event great car - much more than a pretty grill and shapely body.

pjbizjak
09-15-08, 08:43 PM
Ol'Albert.............Phew, You bought an STS4 and didn't know if you had 2 or 4 wheel drive??? Where was the salesman?

jmac660
09-15-08, 11:23 PM
If he had that same one I had when I bought mine, he wouldn't know!

Cliff8928
09-16-08, 04:00 AM

I do know actually that at least the older 4-matic systems did engage and disengage hydraulically. You could disable them too. I have no idea on the STS though.

urbanski
09-16-08, 06:34 AM
Thanks everyone. I am comfortable now in the knowledge that all four wheels are turned by the engine. There is also traction control on it, so maybe even a form of 4 wheel drive at that! In any event great car - much more than a pretty grill and shapely body.

ok we're done then