: 2001 Deville Stereo Questions

gkeller81
09-14-08, 10:18 PM
I just got a 2001 base model Deville with non-Bose stereo and am looking to upgrade the factory stereo a bit. I know from my previous 2001 STS that this can be a pain, but I'm not looking for anything award winning. The factory sub was blown, so I am just gonna add a 12 or 2 using an amp with speaker level inpute or get a loc and at least make some use of the wiring for said sub. That shouldn't be an issue.

What I want to know is if I wanted to replace the factory speakers in the doors with some decent 3 ways is this going to be an issue? I have done tons of reading, but I can;t find anything that says what ohm the factory speakers are or what kind of RMS power the factory amp pushes to them. Does anyone have this kind of information? Obviously if the factory amp is pushing 30 watts at 1 ohm to the speakers then replacing them with the usual 4 ohm high quality 3 ways is going to be a waste of time for the most part.

This brings me to my next question. If I wanted to add another small amp to run the 4 door speakers using the same speaker level input/loc method I would obviously need to splice somewhere other than the already crossed over sub wires. Anyone know where the factory amp is or where the best place would be to intercept the wiring for the 4 speakers to connect ot the amp? I'm not looking to add anything monstrous, maybe something that will push 50ish watts per speaker assuming the factory amp is running 1 ohm speakers and a simple speaker replacement isn;t really an upgrade. Thanks in advance for any help.

CadillacSTS42005
09-18-08, 12:05 AM
bose or non bose
either way replacing your door speaks with 3 ways off the stock system is useless
theres only mid transmitted to door speaks, the addition of a tweet will produce no treb sound

still_walkin
09-18-08, 05:32 AM
true but if you want to rerplace the stock speakers with aftermarket just redo the wiring 14-16 guage a so. on the amps wire the rca to a aftermarket radio with two different preouts and as for power run two distroblocks one for power and ground and remote wire from the factory antennna