: Who Holds The Highest G's?

wildwhl
06-15-04, 11:43 AM
Just realized this morning that after autoX last weekend my dash gmeter is holding some new highs:

1.08------.00------1.06

Prior to that the numbers were 1.04/1.01 respectively.

I'm just curious (and pictures should probably back up the claims, mine included) who is showing the highest glevel on their meters?

My picture will follow shortly if anyone is interested - this is just for giggles - nothing more.

Wildwhl

StealthV
06-15-04, 12:52 PM
Give me a week... :lildevil:

DgtalPimp
06-15-04, 01:15 PM
Everyone realizes the "g meter" is not really a g meter right? The g meter information delivered to the dash board is the yaw sensors information converted to read close to G's I say close since this car wonít do over a G on the skid pad, yet we can easily get over a G on the meter.

Dgtal

Vedder
06-15-04, 01:52 PM
The only way the g meter is accurate is if your doing turns on flat level horizontal surfaces. If there is any kind of burm or slopes the reading is not accurate. Most freeways with on ramps to other freeways have these slants.

So, when posting your G reading make sure it was done properly. :)

DgtalPimp
06-15-04, 01:58 PM
The only way the g meter is accurate is if your doing turns on flat level horizontal surfaces. If there is any kind of burm or slopes the reading is not accurate. Most freeways with on ramps to other freeways have these slants.

So, when posting your G reading make sure it was done properly. :)

Vedder --
If we all agree that the postings should be similar, since the device we are recording with is the same device (the same inaccuracies in the device across the cars). I think your point is valid about any cornering with banking. I was just stating the device is not a G meter and it is not going to be accurate

wildwhl
06-15-04, 02:08 PM
Agreed with all of the above. Remember, there is no money on the line, only for giggles.

For what it is worth, my numbers come from flat plane cornering (i.e-autocross at the airport). My highest numbers before (and I realize these are instantaneous number approximations only) were also from flat turns - because those are the ones I know I can haul ass through without getting flagged by an officer of the law!

06-15-04, 02:39 PM
I only have gotten up to .96 on a freeway on ramp. It definitely felt like I could have hit it much harder.

Is it bad, officer, to do this with the kids in the car????

Doug

Devil_concours
06-15-04, 02:41 PM
well my butt meter says 2g ------- 00 ------- 2g in my regular cts :D

wildwhl
06-15-04, 02:51 PM
I only have gotten up to .96 on a freeway on ramp. It definitely felt like I could have hit it much harder.

Is it bad, officer, to do this with the kids in the car????

Doug

Funny - my oldest son who will be 3 in August, knows EXACTLY where my favority right hand turn is - and ASKS, PLEADS, BEGS for me to go that way to the "fun turn by the wee (aka hill)" each day on the way home! Of course, it could have something to do with the fact that Summit racing is also that way, along with the trainyard...

Cal
06-15-04, 06:53 PM
1.01 - .97 since I got the FG2 put in a couple weeks ago. Haven't gotten on it hard since then.

Vedder
06-15-04, 07:05 PM
Were these on flat horizontal surfaces? :rolleyes:

Cal
06-15-04, 07:15 PM
I did them in the food court of the local shopping mall.

rabid
06-15-04, 07:35 PM
The G-Meter is an accurate measurement of G-Forces in the V. However, it is showing instantaneous G's, not continuous G's which are G forces recorded for at least 3 seconds. Continuous G's are what magazines use. So you can peak at over 1.00 instantaneous G's. The same is with a G-Tech.

soon to V
06-15-04, 07:36 PM
1.13 definitely on the flats; that's all we have here in Western Ohio! I didn't think I was really getting after it yet though.

CTSV OWNER
06-15-04, 07:48 PM
I have not reached as high numbers as some of you but it sure is a blast to take the ramps at speed and then throttle into them.

By the way if you get slammed in the side by a big rig and can watch the meter at the moment of impact I'm sure you'd win the G meter (yaw sensor)award.

2004ctsv
06-15-04, 10:15 PM

Beaverun (PA) - North Track Turn 10 (125 degrees) full throttle 2nd gear
Dry asphalt, around 60F

globed70
06-16-04, 08:58 AM
Everyone realizes the "g meter" is not really a g meter right? The g meter information delivered to the dash board is the yaw sensors information converted to read close to G's I say close since this car won’t do over a G on the skid pad, yet we can easily get over a G on the meter.

Dgtal

As others have said... you certainly can go over 1g instantaneously in the V.... but MOST magazines use a skidpad and average a two way run.... and time around the circle can be translated into G without any meter....

If we want to brag about G readings, then find an empty parking lot and have a good time....

Cal
06-16-04, 10:18 AM
The local town hall parking lot, for instance.

DgtalPimp
06-16-04, 10:19 AM
The G-Meter is an accurate measurement of G-Forces in the V. However, it is showing instantaneous G's, not continuous G's which are G forces recorded for at least 3 seconds. Continuous G's are what magazines use. So you can peak at over 1.00 instantaneous G's. The same is with a G-Tech.
Rabid -- What makes you think the G-meter is an accurate measurement of G-force on the V?

Dgtal

Silver Baron
06-16-04, 12:20 PM
I just came back from a weekend on Mosport Racetrack. BMW Advaced Driving School http://www.trillium-bmwclub.ca/trillium/site/page.jsp?DriverTraining.

I had a great time. The CTS-V was flying around the course right up with M3 and Porsches and dedicated track cars. Everybody was checking her out and despite of being a mainly BMW Club outing they ALL complimented GM for bring this car to the market. :)

The car is like the alter ego of my MINI Cooper S (Hallo HoosierAugs TBDAugs) - slower where the MINI is fast (tight corners), faster were the MINI is slow (straight). Another big difference to the MINI was apparent close to the end of the day. I let the instructor take the steering wheel - which he was too happy to do. :worship:

Until one of the very last laps - WE RUN OUT OF GAS!!! :rant2:
Even though I just put in 20$ (canadian) of gas, 25 min earlier. :hmm:

Needless to say that when we got our fuel and came back to the paddock area at the end of the session, we receive a lot of witty comments about American V-8s using slightly more gas than a MINI etc....:welcome:

And yes, the MINI would still be doing laps as we speak.:bouncy:

Anyhow the reason for the post is this:

Cal
06-16-04, 01:11 PM
Very nice. The thing is definitely a gas hog. But when you are cruising at 150, something your Mini can't do, who cares!

DgtalPimp
06-16-04, 01:20 PM
Until one of the very last laps - WE RUN OUT OF GAS!!! :rant2:
Even though I just put in 20$ (canadian) of gas, 25 min earlier. :hmm:

Needless to say that when we got our fuel and came back to the paddock area at the end of the session, we receive a lot of witty comments about American V-8s using slightly more gas than a MINI etc....:welcome:

And yes, the MINI would still be doing laps as we speak.:bouncy:

So your saying a slower car was still doing laps after a faster car got done? Isn't that the point of finishing first? jokeing

Nice to hear you made it out and were able to track it. Any feed back from the instructor that drove?

Dgtal

Silver Baron
06-16-04, 01:38 PM
Well, the track session is stricktly in time segments, meaning the track is open for 30 min, then another group comes out. Its up to you to get the best out of it. While you are not allowed to use timing devices (insurance), you can pass others.
In my group - nobody passed me.:woohoo:

The instructor said she the fastest car he has driven on this track. :yup: :2thumbs:

urbanski
06-16-04, 01:43 PM
sweet pics! roast those BMs!! :D

DgtalPimp
06-16-04, 01:57 PM
Great to hear the instructor liked the car as well.

trekster
06-16-04, 06:06 PM
Damn sweet pics! Now, I really want to take the V to the track. Is there any tracks in southern california?

ctsvett
06-16-04, 07:26 PM
buttonwillow.... I want to get out there sometime too..

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

StealthV
06-16-04, 07:53 PM
At work we are kicking around the idea of renting http://www.blackhawkfarms.com/ for a private track day. Blackhawk is NW of Chicago, right on the Wisconsin border. Any one here interested in bringing their V and cutting the cost per car down even more? All you need is a Snell helmet (and a V of course)! :bouncy:

soon to V
06-16-04, 08:13 PM
Count me in as an interested party to track day if you're able to get the critical mass you need to pull this off.

Cal
06-16-04, 08:31 PM
1.06 out today goofing around.

Once englishtown finishes their road course I will be renting it. :cool:

rabid
06-16-04, 09:11 PM
Rabid -- What makes you think the G-meter is an accurate measurement of G-force on the V?

Dgtal
I guess the reason I think the G-meter is accurate is because I believe the CTS-V uses a precision accelerometer to measure G forces. I have read that the G-Force readings on the G-Tech are very accurate because it too uses an accelerometer; and if GM does use an accelerometer to measure G-Forces, I would think it would be just as accurate. However, just like others have mentioned, you must be on a level surface.

But if the V uses some program to convert yaw angles into lateral G's, then perhaps the readings might not be as accurate.

06-18-04, 10:24 AM
wildwhl- my kids call em "hot wheels turns", ever since I taped a hot wheels sticker in the window of my 5.0 and showed the kids what a hot wheels car is like for grownups (of course with the V even the kids are not interested in the Mustang).

Devil C- please warn us before you post a picture of your butt-meter reading 2g!
And....how does that meter get calibrated?

Doug

CTSV OWNER
06-18-04, 12:49 PM
Can the meter be reset? It would be kind of useless if it were not. Ok big deal it shows your highest recording ever but what if you went to the track and wanted to see your best for that day? I have not "played" around with trying to reset it, so if this is a dumb question you can hit me with a stick.

globed70
06-18-04, 01:53 PM
Can the meter be reset? It would be kind of useless if it were not. Ok big deal it shows your highest recording ever but what if you went to the track and wanted to see your best for that day? I have not "played" around with trying to reset it, so if this is a dumb question you can hit me with a stick.

Yes, just hold down a button and it resets to 0.

Dreamin
10-04-04, 01:01 AM
Am I the winner? :lildevil:

http://zeemr.home.comcast.net/G.jpg

Devil_concours
10-04-04, 01:11 AM
Am I the winner? :lildevil:

http://zeemr.home.comcast.net/G.jpg
:cookoo:
:worship:

cts-vette
10-04-04, 07:38 AM
NICE!!!
Unfortunately when you get your oil temp re-flash they reset (if not blow up) your meters on the DIC.
Prior to the re-flash 1.18.........1.20
:hide:

ronr
10-04-04, 05:33 PM
1.27............. .00 .............1.21

At the Porsche Club of America "drivers education" event at the Grattan race track weekend before last. Banked curves taken after fully loading the suspension coming over a hill.

I was the only Caddy there (actually the only American car other than the 3 Z06's) that weekend. The Porsche guys have a whole new appreciation for what is not "your father's Cadillac".

Needless to say I'm in the market for new tires soon.

thebigjimsho
10-04-04, 07:50 PM
Mine is..... 1.09............G.............1.05

Anyway, it's fun to compare the G readings here. How many here would actually want to test Gs like the magazines do?

As for those readings, that is for continuous Gs on a flat course.

Many call our readings instantaneous. I call them transitional Gs. It's really the peak momentum of high G turns. Any car with good transitional response, especially with race rubber, can turn exceptional numbers. It's like whiplash. You can spin an object with some heavy rotational forces. But what is more important is how forceful you can spin something while keeping it in control.

That would be the difference between continuous and transitional.

Joey'sVee
05-17-05, 11:12 AM
I now have my g meter reading 1.14 on one side :coolgleam :want: :lildevil: . I think its pretty good. Anyone care to share theirs??? Maybe I just think mine is good and I have a bighead :bighead: . So go ahead and let me know what your is.:)

lawfive
05-17-05, 11:14 AM
I now have my g meter reading 1.14 on one side :coolgleam :want: :lildevil: . I think its pretty good. Anyone care to share theirs??? Maybe I just think mine is good and I have a bighead :bighead: . So go ahead and let me know what your is.:)

There was a thread on this back when, don't remember who won.

I've had mine up to warp 9.3, but the damned thing reset when I installed the sub.

TheHylandr
05-17-05, 11:19 AM
Damn....mines on 1.13

TheHylandr
05-17-05, 11:20 AM
I've had mine up to warp 9.3

:jawdrop:

04CTSVforMe
05-17-05, 11:22 AM
I had mine at .99 on the second day of ownership...gimmie some time to practice and catch up! :lildevil:

Joey'sVee
05-17-05, 11:26 AM
I've had mine up to warp 9.3

:ripped: :worship:

Thats crazy!!! :thumbsup:

Joey'sVee
05-17-05, 11:29 AM
Damn....mines on 1.13

hahaha that rocks.....:tease: . Just teasing..j/k'ing :cheers:

Barak
05-17-05, 11:29 AM
During the V meet on Sunday one of the guys had his to 1.23!

trukk
05-17-05, 11:47 AM
1.20 here.

-Chris

Rickerbucks
05-17-05, 12:01 PM
1.22 and 1.17

Achieved at Spring Mountain driving school in Pharump Nevada. Not sure if it was me or one of the driving instrucors that achieved it. OLD beat up run flats at the time.

HDMLNIUM
05-17-05, 12:16 PM
Wow, I'm way behind with only .96 to the left and .88 to the right. I guess I need to take her out more often..:D

Bill

Joey'sVee
05-17-05, 01:00 PM
1.22 and 1.17

Achieved at Spring Mountain driving school in Pharump Nevada. Not sure if it was me or one of the driving instrucors that achieved it. OLD beat up run flats at the time.

I'm sure those are your numbers...I mean no way could a driving instructor do that, lol! :histeric:

trekster
05-17-05, 02:39 PM
.87 left .84 right. Not having enough fun with the V yet.

sefa01
05-17-05, 03:32 PM
Left - 1.26, Right - 1.29

Previously achieved at other track days. Repeated last week at Watkins Glen.

(BTW, forgot to ask WillCTSV and Slvrvee what their G-meters read for the same 2 days at the Glen.)

Joey'sVee
05-17-05, 03:47 PM
We should see who has the highest and try to break it....the only rule is you must have a picture of the reading and you can't flip your car, lol!

Parker
05-17-05, 03:56 PM
94 and 86

V-Max
05-17-05, 04:24 PM
I have not seen more than 1.26g twice on two different race tracks. I think I had 1.21 with 255mm Dunlop SP Race tires.

Norm

Joey'sVee
05-17-05, 04:31 PM
Why combine the threads...that was an old one...this one will die now! I don't think it should be combined...JMHO

Joey'sVee
05-17-05, 09:36 PM
This is why I don't like merging threads...this got 17 replies in the 1st 5 hours....then it was merged and NO replies in the next 5!

calicadi
05-17-05, 09:43 PM
Well, the track session is stricktly in time segments, meaning the track is open for 30 min, then another group comes out. Its up to you to get the best out of it. While you are not allowed to use timing devices (insurance), you can pass others.
In my group - nobody passed me.:woohoo:

The instructor said she the fastest car he has driven on this track. :yup: :2thumbs:
What tires and pressures do you run on the track?

willsctsv
05-17-05, 09:44 PM
1.27 left -- 1.15 Right. Sefa, That's from Watkins Glen. I guess we were pushing these cadi's pretty hard.
You know why I lost power on day 2?

Check out my post WOW! Check this Out! You won't believe it!

I signed up for a run with PDE at Pocono on June 17th, it's a friday. Seems like there running a pretty good course. Can you make it?

DILLIGAF
05-17-05, 09:55 PM
.63 .67 are these the lowest?Thats worth something.

sefa01
05-17-05, 11:04 PM
1.27 left -- 1.15 Right. Sefa, That's from Watkins Glen. I guess we were pushing these cadi's pretty hard.
You know why I lost power on day 2?

Check out my post WOW! Check this Out! You won't believe it!

I signed up for a run with PDE at Pocono on June 17th, it's a friday. Seems like there running a pretty good course. Can you make it?I'm already signed up (although it's not with PDA, but Tri Region SCCA.) There will be time trials--should be interesting. I'm staying at the Best Western Thursday night.

Zeke
05-17-05, 11:14 PM
1.06 & 1.03

in San Mateo

city streets

1.06 on a right hand 270 degree on-ramp onto 92 from El Camino- banked, extremely tight and wicked short entry onto a four lane highway

started sideways as it kicked into 2nd on the turn- pulled off, then puched er straight

1.03 lefty from my turn in fornt of my house, a last minute crank- no honor here, but it was a lefty

no track yet

ace996
05-30-05, 12:21 AM
1.10left-1.12right, flat parking lot autox, stock F1s.

jordan00escalade
05-30-05, 01:31 AM
1.06 & 1.03

in San Mateo

city streets

1.06 on a right hand 270 degree on-ramp onto 92 from El Camino- banked, extremely tight and wicked short entry onto a four lane highway

started sideways as it kicked into 2nd on the turn- pulled off, then puched er straight

1.03 lefty from my turn in fornt of my house, a last minute crank- no honor here, but it was a lefty

no track yet
When you turn up the ramp onto the freeway.. it's a 2 lane merge, not including the lane your merging from, which 20 feet later is the same off ramp back onto El Camino. 2 miles after your merge is another exit to 101.. which is a 4 lane freeway.. Just curious where you got the other 2 lanes from, during your merge? :hmm: That's my area, we've probably crossed paths without knowing.... HI!

Zeke
06-04-05, 03:00 AM
:drinker:)

your right

I get confused some times- 2 lanes it is!! but watch out for the idiots!

but what a turn!!!!

greetings fellow san matean cad jordan

keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down

Zeke
06-04-05, 03:03 AM
When you turn up the ramp onto the freeway.. it's a 2 lane merge, not including the lane your merging from, which 20 feet later is the same off ramp back onto El Camino. 2 miles after your merge is another exit to 101.. which is a 4 lane freeway.. Just curious where you got the other 2 lanes from, during your merge? :hmm: That's my area, we've probably crossed paths without knowing.... HI!

:drinker:)

your right

I get confused some times- 2 lanes it is!! but watch out for the idiots!

but what a turn!!!!

greetings fellow san matean cad jordan

keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down
images/buttons/edit.gif (editpost.php?do=editpost&p=345579)

LV_V
06-04-05, 03:59 AM
1.21's on city streets on my BFG KDW 245 35 19's :coolgleam

jordan00escalade
06-04-05, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the welcome.. I love the CTS, CTS-V forums! The discussions and topics move faster than any other on the site.

RocketV
06-05-05, 10:00 PM
I just took delivery of my V yesterday, so I am still taking things easy and I don't have any big numbers yet. Regardless, my wife has named the G meter a "Vomitometer".:)

calicadi
07-20-05, 01:38 AM
OK... here's my contibution. For the longest time it was 1.10 -- 1.08 til this weekend's autox where I managed to even them out.

Drift-caddy
07-20-05, 08:06 AM
1.16 to the left and 1.26 to the right. on 245/40/18s.

Drift-caddy
07-20-05, 08:24 AM
Left - 1.26, Right - 1.29

Previously achieved at other track days. Repeated last week at Watkins Glen.

(BTW, forgot to ask WillCTSV and Slvrvee what their G-meters read for the same 2 days at the Glen.)

what tire did you have on there and where is the pic