: Passenger Seat vibrates at >65 mph with squeak

Benjamin Simon
09-14-08, 12:59 PM
I looked through the old seat threads and I could not find an answer to my particular seat problem.

This only happens when I am on the interstate or when I am going >65 mph. Generally, the ride is still smooth. Nothing in the cabin is vibrating except for the back of passenger seat. In addition, it will back a squeaking sound to coincide with the vibration. I can hit the back of the seat with my fist, and the squeaking will subside for about 30 seconds. Then it will return.

Does the seat need to be tighter, or is it too tight? What can be lubricated to stop the squeak?

It is puzzling that the car is relatively smooth at speed, but the seat does not agree.

The drive seat could also have the same problem, however, I could not detect it since I am sitting in it. Like wise for the passenger seat. It does not make noise if someone is sitting in it.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

turnerbend
09-14-08, 01:40 PM
I would start with a wheel balance on all 4 wheels.

MARKVIII
09-14-08, 01:53 PM
its not that. my car is balanced and aligned and my passenger seat also vibrates at high speeds. i don't get the noise. the drivers seat is lose and has been fixed three times but i can still feel the seat move when i start or stop.
these "little" things annoy me the most. mechanically the car has been great knock wood. however, cosmetically and interior quality issues are constant!

Benjamin Simon
09-14-08, 02:01 PM
I appreciate the suggestion, however, it is evident to me that it is the seat. I had a road force balancing about 6 months ago. The ride is as smooth as it was then as now. Furthermore, if it were a tire problem, why would only the seat vibrate? Generally, the ride is still smooth. Nothing in the cabin is vibrating except for the back of passenger seat. Sorry if this was not clear in my first post.

Benjamin Simon
09-14-08, 02:05 PM
its not that. my car is balanced and aligned and my passenger seat also vibrates at high speeds. i don't get the noise. the drivers seat is lose and has been fixed three times but i can still feel the seat move when i start or stop.
these "little" things annoy me the most. mechanically the car has been great knock wood. however, cosmetically and interior quality issues are constant!

I had that exact same problem. However, the dealer was able to fix that problem with the driver seat. (After 4 or 5 times)

Again, everything else is smooth, exact for this damn seat. I don't drive at highways speeds often, but when I do, I am shocked at how smooth the car is and the have back of this seat vibrating. Very odd.

pjbizjak
09-14-08, 02:40 PM
Road force balancing doesn't compensate for other tire problems ie; cupping or alignment or radial ply seperation. This could cause a very slight vibration that's picked up in the floor pan and transfered to the seat back and since the seat back is only hinged in two positions, there is nothing to make it rigid.

Caroutisine
09-14-08, 04:36 PM
Mine does the same thing. I end up just hitting the back of it like you did. One thing I noticed that helps mine go away is just making a slight adjustment to the angle of the seat back. Moving it a little with the power seat adjustment when I notice it seems to reduce or stop the squeaking. But you have to be stopped to make the adjustment, and then drive it again to see if it's still there. It is odd, and the noise does seem to be coming from the seat back. Mine also does not do it with a passenger.

Benjamin Simon
09-14-08, 04:47 PM
Road force balancing doesn't compensate for other tire problems ie; cupping or alignment or radial ply seperation. This could cause a very slight vibration that's picked up in the floor pan and transfered to the seat back and since the seat back is only hinged in two positions, there is nothing to make it rigid.

I see.

The tires are new and I also had the alignment done with the fancy machine with lazers. Perhaps my tires are bad, but I would expect to feel vibrations in other places.

c5 rv
09-14-08, 05:33 PM
I remember on some other forum about constant complaints about empty passenger seat vibrations. The agreed upon solution was to move the passenger seat fully back and recline the seat until it was wedged against the rear seat. Vibration gone.

MARKVIII
09-14-08, 06:24 PM
either that or we can just remove the seat altogether..

blunted
09-16-08, 04:42 PM
This happens to me as well!! I was thinking my lowprofile tires were the cause.. however there is no serious vibration in the steering wheel. I'm going to be changing my tires soon to a bigger profile, so i'm curious to see if it's any better with fresh rubber.

hiljak
11-10-08, 11:33 AM
hi, if you have air conditioned seats, there is a TSB about the lower portion of the seat squaking. The GM fix is to take the seat apart and insert a a piece of vaccum hose, split down the side, as a rubber washer of-sorts in between the seat frame and the plastic a/c portion in the lower seat. Dealer did mine and it worked fine. FYI, i had to print out the TSB and bring it to them as they had never heard of the problem.