: Transmission starting to head down the path...

Cadillac Giovanni
09-13-08, 01:00 AM
THE PATH OF NO RETURN!

Unfortunately. It's starting to howl at me and shift a bit sluggish, at certain speeds it seems to be rather loud, and at others not at all. I'm going to change the fluid soon, although i did it barely a year ago, and it doesn't seem to be leaking.

Just wondering if anyone here has had a Brougham's tranny replaced, what were the costs. Did you have yours rebuilt, or is there a better re-man out there I could find to replace the stock trans?

VortecCaddy
09-13-08, 12:13 PM
You can find a reputable tranny shop near you. I brought mine in with the overhaul kit. Charged me $500.00 labor. The kit was $249. So roughly 800-1000 dollars.

N0DIH
09-13-08, 10:14 PM
Is it Slipping? My THM375 (aka, light duty THM400 used in the old big B Bodies with small blocks, 76 and older) started howling, it was simply a plugged up filter, replace it first. Don't get into rebuilds unless you know for sure. I barely got 10 miles once it got howling, swapped filter and it was still strong 50K miles later, much of that driving for Dominos.

Cadillac Giovanni
09-14-08, 12:19 AM
It doesn't seem to be slipping yet. I've had some odd response when changing gears myself, especially into reverse.

Thanks for the advice though, I'm planning on changing the fluid and the filter as soon as i get a chance.

csbuckn
09-14-08, 08:06 PM
I had mine rebuilt, its the same as yours, the 200. I took mine to aamco transmissions and they did it for $1600 with a 1 year warranty. I wonder about mine sometimes so just like vortec said, do your research on tranny shops. The only reason I took it there is because they had a payment plan. Next time I will be buying a used one. My friend needs his rebuilt also(88 brougham) but we are just going to split the cost of a parts car.