: Exec's how bout bringing back the Fleetwood

Adam
06-15-04, 01:31 AM
I was just thinking, you know how all these companies are bringing back their classics like the Pontiac GTO and the new Shelby etc. Cadillac has always made the big cars and now they just keep getting smaller. Ford and Lincoln now dominate the big car world, you ain't gonna take that are you? That is what Cadillac was known for. The big body rwd cars like the Fleetwood. You should bring it back. It was a big seller in its day and everybody wants one. I even know some Honda boys that would gladly get rid off their imports to have a Fleetwood. And its such a hard car to find these days. It took me 2 years to find one. I think it would be a good seller and bring Cadillac back to its glory days. Besides it's the Godfather off all cars. You should take this into consideration.

jerseyvette
06-25-04, 12:25 AM
1) Cadillac is off base with thinking that every yuppie that buys a Benz, Lexus, Infinity or BMW will switch to Cadillac (It's simply a very specific segment). This is why they keep making the cars smaller, they are trying to play it safe.
2) People would buy a trimmed version of a large high performance wide RWD car like a Brogham. If the car was a mix of an Audi A8 and a Rolls Royce sized car it would be a hit. BUT CADDY KEEPS THINKING that every buyer is small and likes small cars. Look inside a 2000 and newer Deville..not a limo oriented car at all..but a crammed car. Unibody vs. frame etc...
3) Large is better especially when cars are built for speed and touring performance. the older floaty-boaty Brogham is good being put to bed.

MAKE THE 16 REAL GM and we'll all love you for it. Price it at $65K. STOP the madness of making small cars because us loyalists will go elsewhere if the cramming continues.

Adam
06-29-04, 05:49 AM
You make a good point but how do you explain the success of the Town Cars and Crown Vic's. See the angle i'm gettin at. Maybe not as big as they used to be but just as big as the Ford's. Not everybody races them, mine is a lowrider. I dont mean that Cadillac should do it because of that or anything, to each his own, but to have them big again would be nice. The 16 would be nice but not everybody can afford 65k or up. I dont get paid enough. I cant even afford to look at one.

Night Wolf
07-08-04, 01:36 PM
ummm, if the Sixteen was to be made, it would be priced around $150k and not $50k....

BeelzeBob
07-10-04, 05:08 AM
Maybe the DTS will be the "big" Cadillac again. They Must be hearing it about how small the cars are getting. They Must see people getting in and out of the Seville and DeVille trying to figure out what the difference is. Sure, I'd love to see another Fleetwood - but I think it's unlikely they'll bring back that name. What Cadillac most-definitely needs is another BIG car.

davesdeville
07-10-04, 05:09 PM
Cadillac needs a big, manly V8 powered, rwd, body on frame car. That's all I can say.

Adam
07-12-04, 12:20 AM
exactly, i would love to see them bring back the Fleetwood. im just whining because Cadillacs are getting smaller and smaller and heres ford over here making the big cars (not that i have anything against ford, they make good cars i own one) but Cadillac needs to bring back the big ones, rwd too. i love rwd. maybe its because i like lowriders and the only rwd vehicles are going away and only a few are left.

lacmang
08-16-04, 01:20 PM
Yes Cadillac needs to make another big body. I see Lincoln Town cars everywhere. Cadillac and the stupid magazines like car and driver act like only senior citizens like big body cars. Well it couldn't be further from the truth. I work for a rental car company, and everybody that works there can't shut up about my Fleetwood Brougham. All they talk about is how much nicer it is than the 2004 Devilles and Towncars we have. And how the quality of cars has gone down. If they don't make any more Fleetwoods thats fine because I know the value of mine will just keep getting higher. But it would be nice for Cadillac to make something not quite as big but as big as a Towncar. Also GM would be smart to make the Impalas as big as the 96 impalas because those are so popular too.

DPGC23
08-17-04, 01:41 AM
Well
Let Me Put It Like This

If U Own A Fleetwood Brougham Like Myself
Ur One Lucky Bastard, U Know

Y Give These Honda Riders, N None Appreciative Person Who Doesnt Have The Time 2 Search 4 A Fleetwood, A Fleetwood??

I Found Mine By Luck @ A Mitsubishi Car Dealership, Fell In Love, Traded My 89 Caddilac Sedan Devillie, Which Was All Ruined , Water In Moter, Sssshhh
N Boom, Got My Fleetwood.

Thas My Thought

Dpgc23

Adam
08-18-04, 03:35 AM
my thoughts exactly. not as big as they used to be but ya know big. like the new 300C or something. are the future DTS' gonna be rwd like in 08. if so i will be satisfied. thats all i want, a big body rwd brand new Caddy.

scurling
09-22-04, 06:29 PM
Ditto, ditto, ditto

I have a '73 Impala which I drove for 10 years to work. A real beater, but I like'm big. I want an Impala SS, '96 vintage, and I almost cried when the downsized version appeared on the market. I will never buy a late model Impala!

If you can't find what you want new, buy it old. THat's why I have two '94 Fleetwoods. The Fleetwoods are out there, available, you only need to look a little. These days, you can hop on a plane and check out a car that's 500 miles away for $250 bucks. That's money well spent on a good used BIG Fleetwood.

My '73 Impala is going away this week. I couldn't give her away, so I donated it for the tax write off. See her at www.members.cox.net/1973impala.
I guess I'll be one boat short in the drydock next week.

You know, no car is as big as it use to be. The government, EPA, and the Tree- huggers have seen to that.

earlfleetwood
09-23-04, 12:55 PM
They need to bring the Fleetwood back exactly the way it was in the late 80's, early 90s. No changes to the body, that is what people loved. It would sell. Even if they did it for only a year, they would have people lining up for them.

lacmang
09-25-04, 03:05 PM
They need to bring the Fleetwood back exactly the way it was in the late 80's, early 90s. No changes to the body, that is what people loved. It would sell. Even if they did it for only a year, they would have people lining up for them.

that would never happen. besides those are so easy to find, I can't walk down the street without seeing one. A mid 90's fleetwood would sell better, but even then it would need to be a little bit different and up to date with there line. Otherwise you could just buy an older one in great condition for a whole lot less.

scurling
09-28-04, 12:47 PM
I agree with the latest entry. I don't think Cadillac will bring back THe BIG car. The division has been spending too much effort on redefining itself as having faster, sleeker, more nimble cars.

The Fleetwoods are out there to be purchased. I just found two more on-line ('96) in Florida at a dealership. (I keep my eyes open for good deals.) Keep in mind, the Fleetwood was an upscale car, purchased by mature drivers who took care of their vehicles. They were generally not mistreated, but well maintained and cared for.

I would much rather pay $8 to 10K for a used, 8-10 year old Fleetwood, than $12 to $16K for a 4 to 6 year old import.....but then, I don't buy imports. I don't care if they were built in the U.S.

Adam
09-28-04, 10:22 PM
that would never happen. besides those are so easy to find, I can't walk down the street without seeing one. A mid 90's fleetwood would sell better, but even then it would need to be a little bit different and up to date with there line. Otherwise you could just buy an older one in great condition for a whole lot less.

dont get me wrong cause i like the 80s body style but im with lacmag, they should have one thats new and looks like their new cars (well like the DHS). now what i would really like to see is one as big as the 93-96 reason being they are bigger thatn the 80 body style and all. i like them cars you gotta back up and try again. of course them girls like it when you can get that big thing in to that small space the first try (and no im not talking about sex). but take it anyway you want. :D

Jed95fwb
09-09-05, 05:30 PM
A re-issue of the 93-96 Fleetwood would be perfect. With its massive chrome, bench seat and fingertip steering, its more of a retro machine than the Chrysler 300, which is everywhere in my home state of NY. The fleetwood gets good mileage (compared to the SUV's out there). And pardon if I offend: I love Lincolns, but the '98-05 Town Car is the ugliest car ever made by that division. by contrast, the 2000-style Deville looks good. (I cringed when they discontined the fins in 99) A strong competitor with a V8, rwd and some classic tailfin styling and floating ride would take on the 300 and establish a whole new market. BMW and Audi people wouldn't look at a Cadillac in a million years, even if it was twice as good and half the price. I looked at that new STS and the seats were about as comfortable as upholstered cinderblocks, What gives? I like the RWD, but that is not Cadillac comfort. I would like to see a Cadillac for Cadillac lovers again.

Jed

Benzilla
01-08-06, 12:24 AM
Exactly! I own a '83 Coupe Deville and a '90 Brougham d'Elegance and I love them both very much, I don't know what I'll do when the last of the Fleetwoods are all gone and GM has not yet come out with a new version, because the '96 Fleetwood is my idea of the last new Cadillac. Nothing at all like it has been made since then. Oh and if another Fleetwood is ever made, it needs to have classic styling, I'm not saying that it needs to be a clone of the '96, but it needs to have class... and rear fender skirts.

SupaFly
03-28-07, 12:28 PM
If they come back with the Fleetwood, it would be a huge disappointment for anyone who appreciates the old body style Cadillacs. Look at every car on the road now, from an inexpensive car to an expensive one, they all look the same: CHEAP AND PLASTIC-Y. Thats how GM would make the Fleetwood now. The bumpers on all these cars are terrible, chips and cuts that show gray underneath. So cheap looking. Look at the Fleetwoods bumper, look at the chrome. It nearly covers half the door. You think they would ever make another car like that? No way.

As for parking, I only need one try. :bighead:

70eldo
04-03-07, 08:47 AM
That V12 project will be your answer to the Fleetwood successor!

akimball442
09-21-07, 10:53 PM
*IF* Cadillac decided to build a full size, rear drive car... They would not be able to call it something sophisticated sounding like Fleetwood Brougham. They'd end up calling it the FWB... Just my two cents. I enjoy my 81 Deville because it says Coupe DeVille on the sides. People are getting so lazy they cant say that now. Its DTS, or STS, or CTS... can you see it? The ever luxurious FWB.

And heck, they finally got the variable displacement engines to work, so throw in a big one!

pompste
09-29-07, 10:59 AM
*IF* Cadillac decided to build a full size, rear drive car... They would not be able to call it something sophisticated sounding like Fleetwood Brougham. They'd end up calling it the FWB... Just my two cents. I enjoy my 81 Deville because it says Coupe DeVille on the sides. People are getting so lazy they cant say that now. Its DTS, or STS, or CTS... can you see it? The ever luxurious FWB.

And heck, they finally got the variable displacement engines to work, so throw in a big one!

Exactly my thoughts as well.It`s pathetic that 2000 and up Cadillacs don`t have real names---just letters.As you said,it`s lazy.

I know Cadillac`s executive management must be hearing complaints about the present day Cadillac luxury car`s shrinking act.

It`s a no brainer to know that if the big Fleetwood was offered to the public again,the list to purchase them would be a long one indeed.

CadillacCastle
04-14-09, 12:53 AM
The big cars are too well made. Cadillac does not want to make a car that lasts that long. They want it wore out when the payments stop so you can start paying on another. Big cars save lives in a wreck is the best part, that is why a lot of people drive SUVs and trucks. It takes 2 trips to town in a small car to buy what you can take home in 1 trip in a 93-96 Fleetwood and saves gas at 25 mpg.

V-Eight
04-16-09, 05:21 PM
Isn't the DHS basically the Fleetwood trim. Or do you mean the Fleetwood-Brougham?

jimmbo
07-01-10, 04:07 PM
If they come back with the Fleetwood, it would be a huge disappointment for anyone who appreciates the old body style Cadillacs. Look at every car on the road now, from an inexpensive car to an expensive one, they all look the same: CHEAP AND PLASTIC-Y. Thats how GM would make the Fleetwood now. The bumpers on all these cars are terrible, chips and cuts that show gray underneath. So cheap looking. Look at the Fleetwoods bumper, look at the chrome. It nearly covers half the door. You think they would ever make another car like that? No way.

As for parking, I only need one try. :bighead:

I find it easier to park my 86 FWB than than to park my 98 STS. Compared to the FWB the sts is a piece of CRAP