: What is an '04 with 2000 miles worth?

Rickerbucks
06-15-04, 01:30 AM
What would you guys pay for an '04 demo car with 2000 miles? I appreciate your folks informed opinion.

StealthV
06-15-04, 01:56 AM
Um,...no moonroof or FG2, I'd guess around $48,000 US//$65,700 Canadian eh? :hmm:

Cal
06-15-04, 02:17 AM
You know those 2k miles are hard driving. If it has full 3yr/50k and a sunroof I'd say $47-48k but if it's some 1 year B.S. I wouldn't touch it at all really. 2k miles of some other jackass is not worth 3-4k in my opinion.

miscreant
06-15-04, 03:12 AM
What would you guys pay for an '04 demo car with 2000 miles? I appreciate your folks informed opinion.
Post the VIN if you have, or atleast the last 8 of the vin (401XXXXX)

urbanski
06-15-04, 09:26 AM
for reference, ebay has a plat/black 04 with 250 miles (sounds like a dealer demo or something)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2482105250&category=43903
for buy it now of 46. (NOT my auction or anything)
I think with 2K miles you're looking at 44 tops.

Rickerbucks
06-15-04, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I was thinking like $6k of to be honest. It does not have the sunroof.

Sorry I do not have the VIN. The salesman was suggesting like $1000 - $1500. You have to be joking. Who would accept a mere $1500 for a year old car with mileage.

Thanks for the thread on the ebay. That may help.

globed70
06-15-04, 11:07 AM
As long as MSRP for new cars, then I'd agree with $44k.

DgtalPimp
06-15-04, 11:19 AM
You drive a hard bargin. I settle and pay 25K for it right now.

:drinker

miscreant
06-15-04, 11:35 AM
I think the moment that you accept that a 2004 *demo* model (never titled, still new) is worth only $44k is the day the CTS-V loses it's value! If you guys are saying that a $50,000 high demand, MSRP-or-more car should be $6000 off when it's still new and only has 2000 miles on it, then what does that mean of a CTS-V that has 10,000 miles on it and is actually used (titled)???? $38K? $36K? That's a rediculous thought, IMHO...

[I keep thinking about our 2004 demo Devilles at $9000 off because they have 2000-3000 miles...I can't fathom accepting $6000 off a CTS-V and putting it that close in league with other non-high demand cadillacs...:want: ]

PLEASE remember that WE define what the market does on these cars. They can only sell for what we will pay for them, and the moment we start to widdle down on them, the moment their value will start to drop. I understand as buyers we want the best deal, it's inherent, but as owners or potential owners we need to be concerned about keeping the value of these vehicles high.

If this is truly a demo owned by a Cadillac dealership, then there is NO WAY they can take $6000 off. Cadillac is giving NO demo money on CTS-V's, and the dealership isn't going to take a loss on a car that pretty much sells at sticker.

Also note that many of those CTS-V's that sell that cheap on Ebay are actually *open MSO* used vehicles (wholesaled) sold by other dealerships other than the owning dealership (like executive cars, cars that come from dealerships that go out of business, etc...).

I think the appropriate number should be about $47k - $47.5k.

06-15-04, 12:37 PM
FYI-2004's are not selling at sticker in all markets. I bought mine in NJ 3 weeks ago for $48,400 (w/sunroof) , including destination but excluding tax and title processing. That's $100 over invoice plus $1000 or so for the regional advertising.

I have heard of others getting it closer to invoice without the regional advertising fee.....

There is a very recent though very long thread on pricing a few weeks back......

doug

miscreant
06-15-04, 12:50 PM
I still stand my ground :lildevil: . I believe the average sale will still fall above sticker...

Like I said, new, no-mileage Devilles (cars we can't even give away right now) are selling for $8000 off and demo's for $9000 off. As an owner, I wouldn't want to even hear people thinking $6000 off a CTS-V because it has miles...It just doesn't bode well for the CTS-V. How would you feel if you bought your's for $50,000, put 2000 miles on it in one month and now it's worth $44K? My 2004 Grand Prix I *traded* in which I owned for 8 months and had 6000 miles on did better in percentages!

All I'm really saying is if this indeed are the numbers, and what people feel the market should be on the V, than I'm glad I didn't get one.

Where's the value we are supposed to be instilling in these cars?

Rickerbucks
06-15-04, 12:58 PM
Thanks micreant. That is exactly the kind of informed opinion I was seeking out. I'm not trying to be a d**k. I just have no sense of what discount would be appropriate for a demo car. Candidly, if a discount is only $1500 then I'd certainly prefer to buy a new car.

I'm trying to decide in my own mind how much of a discount I would want to feel good about buying the car. Perhaps $6k was a little aggressive. :)

We'll see.

Thanks to everyone

06-15-04, 01:29 PM
I guess I have been buying 'merican cars for so long I always assume that the purchase price is money down the drain. I always assume that I lose 25% as soon as title transfers to me. I have only once sold a new car less than 3 years old, and it was a grand marquis and we got predictably creamed on the resale. We got offered (twice) about 50% of pp on a trade in, and ended up selling privately for about 63% of pp, on a car still covered for about 6 months by the factory 3/36 warranty. (No grand marquis comments please)

Now we just TRADED IN my wife's 3.5 year old Honda Odyssey for 56% of the purchase price, without much haggling; that took me by pleasant surprise! (no minivan comments, please)

Frankly I think your right, that the average V "street" price for 2005 will still be above sticker...but only for a while. They will come down as the pent-up demand eases. Higher resale is demand driven; if nobody wants them they will be given away. Of course higher resale will help us all if demand stays high.......but we should all be able to try to push dealers to their slimmest acceptable margins; that's part of the fun! (I know miscreant works for a dealer so you may have a different view on that point).

Doug

WannaV
06-16-04, 04:14 PM
I wonder what a dealership would offer you on a 2004 CTS-V with 2000 miles for trade-in value? I am guessing 38K at best!! Therefore, I do not think you only wanting to pay $44K is out of line....no matter what kind of car it is.

miscreant
06-16-04, 04:36 PM
I wonder what a dealership would offer you on a 2004 CTS-V with 2000 miles for trade-in value? I am guessing 38K at best!! Therefore, I do not think you only wanting to pay $44K is out of line....no matter what kind of car it is.
I really think not. Again, depends on what they are selling them new for, but the V's going through the auctions are fetching $46+. ALOT of non-Cadillac dealerships are wanting to get a hold of these cars, and the only way is at auction or trade.